GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kosi said:
Difference between Hammond Sizes X7 / X8 is only 6,35 mm in length, width and height is the same

Hammond 372x is 82,55 mm
Hammond 370BX is 76,2 mm

Well if that's the case - I'm sure I can make it fit.
Anyway I can make mounting slots instead of just holes for the power transformer, so one could use both - X7 or X8 size ;)

Because I get asked this quite frequently - the correct output transformer for the build is the Sowter 1285e (for a 176)

But fear not - I'm working on a BOM - and since preparing everything for a production run takes longer than expected you should all have enough time to order your stuff once we get this thin going ;)

Is it possible to do a kind of altec 436C mod?

bypassing the interstage tx with a switch and sending the signal from the 6BC8 with caps and resistor to mimic the sound of ALTEC 436C
here the schematic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rafoote/Altec%20436C/Altec436C.gif

The Idea came from here
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/109707-universal-audio-175b.html#post1136249

core13 said:
Is it possible to do a kind of altec 436C mod?

bypassing the interstage tx with a switch and sending the signal from the 6BC8 with caps and resistor to mimic the sound of ALTEC 436C
here the schematic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/rafoote/Altec%20436C/Altec436C.gif

The Idea came from here
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/109707-universal-audio-175b.html#post1136249
That might be cool. I think rainton (Martin) is after creating an exact clone - see title of thread "100% faithful recreation."

I'm sure some mods can be done. Maybe a separate thread would be good for that?

Phrazemaster said:
That might be cool. I think rainton (Martin) is after creating an exact clone - see title of thread "100% faithful recreation."

I'm sure some mods can be done. Maybe a separate thread would be good for that?

Thanks Phrazemaster - and yes I am after building an exact clone, which I did, but I already started to mod my unit  ;D

I tried to do the mods in a way so I don't need to change the original looks - e.g. by using push-pull pots with switches.
I'll talk about that in a bit.

But I think it would be cool to collect everything 176 related here - also the mods :)

So we'll have everything in one spot

rainton said:
Thanks Phrazemaster - and yes I am after building an exact clone, which I did, but I already started to mod my unit  ;D

I tried to do the mods in a way so I don't need to change the original looks - e.g. by using push-pull pots with switches.

But I think it would be cool to collect everything 176 related here - also the mods :)

No worries man - it's your thread!

- However -

Having done many projects here that have a gazillion pages to read through, it might be nice to have a dedicated thread for mods vs the original. Your call - I'd rather it be separated so it's clear who's modding and who's just building. It's a real drag to have to read through tons of material that's not related to what you're trying to do.

That's my $.02.

Mike

it can be interesting to add also a hpf on the sidechain.

maybe a 4 position switch instead of a vernier pot.
1 original
2 original hpf
3 Altec
4 Altec hpf

Just to set the record straight - did the originals use A18's or A19's for the interstage transformer? I've tried a lot of googling but can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks!

Mike

This project is just too good to resist. I'm definitely in for a case/kit when the time comes(API meter version). Absolutely beautiful work!

By the way, to anyone interested, as of writing this reply (Nov. 10th, 2017) there's an ebay listing for a bunch of vintage API 361 meters for about $40 each, which seems like a pretty good deal based on modern meter prices.https://www.ebay.com/itm/API-VU-Meter-Model-361-Scully-MCI-Magnetic-MTG/162734912816?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

rainton said:

Are you doing a run of these soon..? Date..? Prepay ready...Thanks!

jslstudio said:
No go on this??? No updates in a long while.?

Sorry for the long silence guys!
I just returned from my xmas vacation and realized quite some people have posted here.
The 176 will definitely happen, but it takes much longer than expected.

That's mostly due to working on an idea that I feel is bigger than the 176 project. It's kind of a knowledge base - or more like a platform that gathers all information on my projects in one place. And that in a way it's very intuitive to find what you need from basic information through BOMs with sources to step-by-step guides in form of e-papers and videos.

There'll also be a blog/vlog with tips & mods not just from myself but also from other builders around the world.

To make this happen I want to build up a community where project related knowledge can be exchanged.

Why not using Group DIY?
Well, I love Group DIY and I learned a lot here! But the "problem" is there are 1000s of threads with some of them being more than 400 pages long. So it can be very hard to find what you're looking for - especially as a newbie.
Partly due to this, I've been getting tons of mails and messages from people asking build related questions and I found myself answering the same questions again and again - many of which were already answered here at some point.

So I figured it would be best to create one place were all these answers are gathered - limited to my projects and all info prepared in a way it's easy to understand...
long story short, I'm working on it and in order to build up a community I launched a first little "mini-website" and if you think this could be a cool idea I welcome you to check it out:

www.analogvibes.com

The 176 will definitely be a project there too and if you follow me along you'll know when it's ready.
I'm planning to do a small run of 176s in Q1 2018 for all of those who have been waiting for so long.

In the meantime I tested some mods on my 176 and I also took it to Berlin with me to have other engineers do some testing in their studios - one of them was fellow forum member kosi  :)

If you're interested and kosi is ok with it we can talk more about it. We also compared it to kosi's STA-Level and the results were remarkable. The 176 is an amazing piece of gear!

Anyway , I'd really appreciate your feedback regarding my idea - either here, or in the comment section on my page
and thank you so much for your patience guys!!

Martin

Happy new year to you Martin ~been collecting parts to build four 176 when released ~an early bom would be awesome so we can be ready to build when you release the chassis & boards ~thanks very much ~love your work.

rainton said:
Sorry for the long silence guys!
I just returned from my xmas vacation and realized quite some people have posted here.
The 176 will definitely happen, but it takes much longer than expected.

That's mostly due to working on an idea that I feel is bigger than the 176 project. It's kind of a knowledge base - or more like a platform that gathers all information on my projects in one place. And that in a way it's very intuitive to find what you need from basic information through BOMs with sources to step-by-step guides in form of e-papers and videos.

There'll also be a blog/vlog with tips & mods not just from myself but also from other builders around the world.

To make this happen I want to build up a community where project related knowledge can be exchanged.

Why not using Group DIY?
Well, I love Group DIY and I learned a lot here! But the "problem" is there are 1000s of threads with some of them being more than 400 pages long. So it can be very hard to find what you're looking for - especially as a newbie.
Partly due to this, I've been getting tons of mails and messages from people asking build related questions and I found myself answering the same questions again and again - many of which were already answered here at some point.

So I figured it would be best to create one place were all these answers are gathered - limited to my projects and all info prepared in a way it's easy to understand...
long story short, I'm working on it and in order to build up a community I launched a first little "mini-website" and if you think this could be a cool idea I welcome you to check it out:

www.analogvibes.com

The 176 will definitely be a project there too and if you follow me along you'll know when it's ready.
I'm planning to do a small run of 176s in Q1 2018 for all of those who have been waiting for so long.

In the meantime I tested some mods on my 176 and I also took it to Berlin with me to have other engineers do some testing in their studios - one of them was fellow forum member kosi  :)

If you're interested and kosi is ok with it we can talk more about it. We also compared it to kosi's STA-Level and the results were remarkable. The 176 is an amazing piece of gear!

Anyway , I'd really appreciate your feedback regarding my idea - either here, or in the comment section on my page
and thank you so much for your patience guys!!

Martin

Not all beginners here! I say please put out the chassis first with pcb. First run keep it simple! No mods either...faithful
clones. Then maybe second half of year talk about mods etc........
My two cents..Why wait If we can get a chassis and pcb,s and start rolling....just make the first run of kits and disclaimer
not for first timers so you are not bombarded by questions that most people know!
Thanks for doing these!
John

Latest posts

Back