GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been waiting for something like this!!!! Count me in for a pair! Not picky on the meter, either is fine for me.

Maybe a run for API meters would be better since most of us already bought them?  :)
Any updates about the project rainton?

Best,

Alright guys - let's do this!!

Sorry it took me so long but as some of you probably noticed I've been working a lot on my own analogvibes.com platform.

Anyway, besides working on analogvibes I got in touch with all suppliers needed to do a limited run of 176 chassis kits - FINALLY!

This will be the most sophisticated and complete kit I've done so far, so it was a lot to organize.

A couple of things though:

VU meter:
Of course I can do this run for the API 361 meter only as it turns up fairly often and relatively cheap on eBay - much cheaper than a new sifam for example. And besides - as moltenwok posted here, he has a friend who has 30-40 of them for sale...

But I could also do a part of the run for  the SIFAM R32AF on order as it's still readily available.

Logo: there won't be a UA logo on these kits - but a) they look equally as amazing without it and b) if you still want there's plenty of options by now you can get it on there

On the back there are 4 cutouts to mount the two 0.5 oil caps, but some vintage units didn't use these oil caps but regular film caps mounted on a little turret board inside with standoffs.
Should I leave these cutouts in, and whoever wants can use the oil cans if they can be sourced or decide to use regular film caps instead (in the case of the latter these cutout would remain empty)?
I mean it's 4 little holes with a diameter of probably 1cm (0.39in)

The mounting holes for the oil caps can also be used to mount the turret board inside in case of using film caps...

Anyway - we'll find a solution here, right ;)

Here's what will be included in this authentic re-creation of a UA 176 chassis kit:

- main chassis, bent, welded, smoothed and powder coated grey

- first front panel  - also folded edges, welded smoothed and powder coated grey

- custom made hinge manufactured following original specs, powder coated and welded to the first front panel

- second front panel to go on top of the first one: this will be the black panel with white silk-screening

- custom made stainless steel thumb screws designed for original looks

- mounting bracket for input/output jacks on the front

- mounting bracket for optional metering switch inside

- handmade, authentic re-creations of the 2 original pcbs: these will be handmade to original specs with fork turrets just like the original
- handmade PSU turret board

- handmade RATIO turret board

- handmade METERING turret board

- first BOM

- first wiring layout for the entire unit

All of this I will offer as kit in this LIMITED run for EUR 399.00

Actually this is the price if we can reach 50 chassis, but I convinced all suppliers - if we don't hit that margin, but only 40 chassis instead, we'll still get that price :)

And I'm positive that we can reach 40pcs.
And in case we end up with only 38pcs, I will have to buy one for Mom and one for Granny - I'm sure they'd love them  ;D

SO:
I'll get in touch with all of those who posted here and want to have one or two or...

In case you're new to this thread and interested send me an email to [email protected]
If you posted here and don't get an email within the next couple of days, do the same :)

Lead time for having these gems manufactured will be around 6-8 weeks.

ONE MORE THING: I'll keep this group buy open until March 15th - after that deadline I'll process the orders and have the kits manufactured...

I'll add some more pics in a bit...

Thanks A LOT for your patience guys!! I really really appreciate it!
Martin

Some pics (I'll share more later)

ejnui9yz309mqqy5g.jpg

f7na9a45acw99505g.jpg

5ac2ap69ma5cc4k5g.jpg

Anyone for a group buy of Sowter 1285e/ or any other trafos from them to combine the order/lower the cost?  If so  a slightest idea how to organise it?  :)  is it worth the effort?

jefepeters said:
Are there any parts required for this build that can be hard to find?

Well it depends - some of the original parts can be difficult to source such as the transformers or the attenuators.
BUT there good alternatives.
Also the can caps turned out to be a problem. When I built my prototype the 2x20uf  1" can cap was still available and also the 2x10uf cap could be sourced. Now both are out of production...

...BUT our fellow forum member and friend Jonathan (aka Quayhog) found a possible supplier, who will - as it looks - be able to custom make these caps to our specs!!  ;D
Jonathan you are THE MAN!!

And the best part of it - if we order like 50 sets as a group the caps will turn out much cheaper than the actual available can caps by CE manufacturing or the like.
So I think we're safe here as well  ;)

I'm definitely in for one set designed to use the API meter, and can pay whenever you're ready for us!

I would also be interested in a groupbuy for the custom can filter caps, and for the Sowter output transformer, but I already have the API meter and many of the other parts.

rainton said:
On the back there are 4 cutouts to mount the two 0.5 oil caps, but some vintage units didn't use these oil caps but regular film caps mounted on a little turret board inside with standoffs.
Should I leave these cutouts in, and whoever wants can use the oil cans if they can be sourced or decide to use regular film caps instead (in the case of the latter these cutout would remain empty)?
I mean it's 4 little holes with a diameter of probably 1cm (0.39in)

The mounting holes for the oil caps can also be used to mount the turret board inside in case of using film caps...

Anyway - we'll find a solution here, right ;)
In reference to these holes for the rectangular oil caps, I'd definitely vote for them to be included.  (That's partly selfish, because I have a large stash of those oil caps of different values and sizes, but it also doesn't seem like that option would really be a drawback people who are putting film caps on a separate board inside.)  That's just my "two cents."

Thanks so much for your work on this, it's just unbelievable.  Truly above & beyond for DIY!

Hey guys,

I updated the first post with THE LIST  8)

Please check if you're in there - and if not please let me know ASAP!

Including the ones from our FB group we have more than 40 kits together!!

So  for those who still want to join, you should do so now BECAUSE THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!

hooray!!!

So. Just curious
The optimal transformers - ( well
Original transformers ) are the Utc
0-1  the Utc a-18 and the sowter repro output , correct ?

gevermil said:
So. Just curious
The optimal transformers - ( well
Original transformers ) are the Utc
0-1  the Utc a-18 and the sowter repro output , correct ?

Correct!  I think UTC O-2 (input) or UTC A-19 (interstage ) will work too.

Jasper

Just a quick heads-up guys

Including the ones from the FB group we have more thant 50 kits now!!

as the group buy will close later this week - if you still want to join: [size=14pt]NOW IS THE TIME!![/size]

Hey guys, long time absence here, but back for good.

Ordered two Kits with Rainton.

He mentioned someone round here could sell some meters and/or caps?

I´m from Berlin/Germany, maybe someone is nearby.

Cheers!

Potato Cakes said:
Is there an estimated total cost for the entire build?

Thanks!

Paul

Depending on the parts you use - how vintage you wanna go and depending on where you're located, since most parts can be found in th US.
Also depending on how lucky you are on your hunt for parts :)

I think somewhere between $700 and $1000 for all the parts + chassis & pcb kit.

Latest posts

Back