GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Martin,

I'd like to start looking at buying transformers for the pair of cases I have built. Looking to do modern equivalents instead of trying to search for used originals. Can you provide the model numbers for the Sowter units that you used on your build?

Thanks!

Paul

I'm no Martin  :) but those should be 1285e, 1449 and 1133. The info's on their website. I don't know about now but betore the build rush it was fairly easy to get UTC 0-1 or 0-2 for cheap on ebay.  If you consider using A18 for interstage I know a guy who has quite a few for a fair price. Cheaper than the Sowter equivalent for sure

Ok guys, whats the  best way to collect monies to pay for this, I'm not a business and just trying to help everyone out so I don't want to incur any PayPal fees personally, do let me know, cheers johnny

Potato Cakes said:
Hi, Martin,

I'd like to start looking at buying transformers for the pair of cases I have built. Looking to do modern equivalents instead of trying to search for used originals. Can you provide the model numbers for the Sowter units that you used on your build?

Thanks!

Paul

For people in the US...Matt Can do the Power Transformers. But Not until June 1st.  He can do the correct 650V CT.
I measured to my original UA 175b..And the height is just 1/4" shorter. All other dimensions are spot on size wise.

Musical power supply PT325.2

moltenwok said:
Ok guys, whats the  best way to collect monies to pay for this, I'm not a business and just trying to help everyone out so I don't want to incur any PayPal fees personally, do let me know, cheers johnny

Having people send payment through 'Friends & Family' would be the way to do it without fees - buyers don't get any protection from eBay if anyone goes wrong in the process though.

Question about the Sowter 1285...

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned to use a 1285e, I don't see the 'e' version on the website. There's also 3 styles: Open Frame, Fully Shrouded, & Mumetal Can w/ threaded grommet - which one do we want for this build?

Are there any other sowter parts to put in with this order? I'm already using a UTC A-18 and 0-1.

Thanks!

I answered your mail yesterday Bram.

But in case anybody else is wondering - the „e“ version is the one with mumetal can and threaded grommet.

If you’re already using the UTC input and interstage, no other parts needed from Sowter.

I almost finished a first BOM and will upload it soon so we can discuss it :)

Just a quick heads up guys:

- The black front panels are going to the silk screener's tomorrow.
- Pcbs are already being made
- Turret boards production is being prepared.
- The custom SIFAM meters are already ordered and will be ready in 6 weeks
- first BOM will be shared later this week for all of you to discuss :)

Regarding the can caps: Jonathan's (Quayhog's) initiative was to find a way to have access to the can caps we need to complete this build - since CE manufacturing ceased the production of their 2x20uf and 2x10uf can caps.

AS far as I understand there won't be a group buy for the caps. At least not yet. And as far as I'm concerned I think I can't take care of that as well for now.

If I understood correctly the price is already slightly lower compared to the CEs even if ordered individually.
But if we could organize a group buy the discount would be around 17% off which would be cool too.

Anybody volunteering to organize a group buy?  ;D

BTW:
anybody here has access to a RETRO 176?
I'd really like to know how they implemented the Sidechain HP filter...from the pics on the web I can tell it's an Alpha pot with SPST switch, but I can't see the value, nor can I tell where exactly it's going on the pcb...

some insight would be great :)

TubeMonkey said:
Hey Rainton,

We have a Retro here as well..... I'll check the cap value as soon as I'm back in the studio

EB

Awesome!!

here's the only pic I have from that HPF side chain pot:

3ic2hl3bjczhzpr5g.jpg

The color code points towards a 20K resistor.
The question is what value is the pot?
Where do the wires go on the pcb? What are the next connections from where it's connected to the pcb/what are the surrounding components?

It's a shielded wire and it seems both leads are only connected through the pot with the resistor in parallel when the switch is set to ON - meaning the knob on the front is pulled...

If we can find out how it works it should be easy to add this as a mod to our 176 project :)

Thanks!!

Hi guys, our meters have all been tested for ballistics and correct operation and all our order is on its way here ready to despatch to you all! Cheers

Hey guys,

here's my first version of the 176 BOM.

I posted it here to discuss - open for your input :)
That's why I labeled it V 0.1

Attachments

• analogvibes 176 Parts List rev.0_1.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 55
Thanks Rainton, taking a look now... What resistor wattage are we looking for for the ones which are not currently marked?

moltenwok said:
Hi guys, our meters have all been tested for ballistics and correct operation and all our order is on its way here ready to despatch to you all! Cheers

Great news, moltenwok - thank you for spearheading that for us.

BramK said:
Thanks Rainton, taking a look now... What resistor wattage are we looking for for the ones which are not currently marked?

All resistors are specified 1/2W as per the schematics - but there actually are some 1W resistors used in the vintage units.
I'll check which ones and add it to the BOM.
But in terms of what's necessary 1/2W is fine.

Latest posts

Back