GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing guys,

I'm just finalizing the blueprint for the PSU turret boards for the production.
So far I offered two options for the power transformer - the Hammond 370BX and the Hammond 372X.

The 372X is slightly wider and I solved the issue regarding the mounting holes on the chassis by adding slots instead of holes to the chassis in this position. So you guys can choose.

Now it came to me that the PSU turret board is mounted to the same mounting screws - which means I would have to add slots to the PSU board as well (so you can still choose your power xfmr)
OR we all agree on one model - preferably the larger one (372X) since it has more headroom in terms of specs...

What do you think?

Alright guys :)

Both transformers will fit the chassis anyway, since I designed slots in there and the case are in production so no changes can be made.  The main thing why I asked is because in the chassis these slots won't be visible  later when everything is mounted, but if I add theses slots to the PSU turret board, they will be visible (at least as long the unit isn't racked up  ;D)

Now since  pretty much everyone either prefers the 372X has no preference, I would do design the PSU board with mounting holes fitting the 372X and add tiny markings or holes that show the mounting hole position for the 370BX.
And in case anyone wants to use the 370BX the mounting holes could be drilled easily?

ilfungo said:
I already have a 370BX...

The Hammond 370BX also fits the Pultec EQP-1A and the MEQ-5, in case you want to build one of those in the future ;)

I don't know why I the solution regarding the power xfmr came to me earlier!!

Of course both power transformers have mounting slots which are 0.375" wide (95mm)

And since the difference between the 370BX and the 372X in terms of mounting slot distance is only 50mm there's no problem at all! :)

Because that means we can make the distance for the PSU board mounting holes somewhere in the middle and it will fit both  ;D

moltenwok said:
Hi guys, our meters have all been tested for ballistics and correct operation and all our order is on its way here ready to despatch to you all! Cheers

Moltenwok,
Any update for those who ordered meters and 0-17 shields? When will you be shipping them? Thanks!

Hi guys, finally got them here after customs clearance which took over a week and more money. Will be posting out on Thursday, cheers johnny

Thanks Johnny!

Also heads up to all y'all. I have an extra UTC A18 available. The auction I purchased from sold as a pair and I only need one. PM or email if interested.

-B

Sorry guys - posted everything over in our FB group and didn't  post it here.

I'll copy and paste it - hang on...

"A quick heads-up
Unfortunately we have a delay for the 176

1. the 2nd front panels were supposed to be silk screened last week already but they painted the panels black in order to print the white scales etc. afterwards.
The quality was not what I expected and besides, when placing the order we actually agreed they would silk-screen the panels black - and then add another (white) layer on top...why tried to do it differently I have no clue...
2. the manufacturer of the main chassis and front panels
was ordered to do like 60 (or so) kits with API cutout and around 20 pieces with SIFAM cutout...well they did it the other way round :(
The only good thing is that they let me know before powder coating them, and since the API cutout is larger than the SIFAM, now 40 panels have to be modified with a CNC.
But they can't do it there in the factory because the panels are already bent and welded, so I had to have them shipped somewhere else etc...
...you see it sounds like a lot of fun...NOT.
Anyway all of that means the kits need at least 2 weeks extra until they are finished - what a drag.
I'm really sorry you have to wait so long guys - I'm working on it..."

As for not getting back - sorry John I get like over a dozen of mails every - and that's only the ones concerning my projects.
To most of them I get back very quickly - if I don't get back to you within 3 days, your mail is most likely lost in the abyss created by new mails coming in...

From my experience it happens that some problems occur in the supply chain - problems that are causing delays.
That's especially the case when doing new projects - but even with projects I did almost half a dozen times such as the LA2A it can happen.
Like this time when the powder coating just wasn't good enough and I had the company that does it redo all 50 LA2A front panels.
It causes delays, but in the end it's about getting a great product.

It's totally my bad though that I posted the update to the FB group only and didn't post it here.
As a matter of fact I found a Safari tab where I began to post a reply here, but never finished it...guess I was being distracted at some point...

Again sorry  guys - I fixed the wrong cutouts by now and all 176 panels were forwarded to getting powder coated with the rest of the chassis.

Martin

No worries Martin, thanks for the heads up.  Can someone post a link to the FB group? I'd like to join. Thanks!

Back