GROUP BUY: Universal Audio 176 - a 100% faithful recreation of a legend! CLOSED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well obviously you'll get your money back as you've lodged a PayPal claim, it's unfortunate that you haven't received the meters. So this exercise of helping people obtain parts will now have cost me over 400 dollars, where I simply could have just got my own.... Cheers

moltenwok said:
Well obviously you'll get your money back as you've lodged a PayPal claim, it's unfortunate that you haven't received the meters. So this exercise of helping people obtain parts will now have cost me over 400 dollars, where I simply could have just got my own.... Cheers
although I made a request on paypal, as the transaction is more than 4 months old. Paypal can not do anything for me.
So I will ask you to send me the amount of 100USD to the following address: xarolium(at)hotmail(dot)com

Thank you

jefepeters said:
Apologies if this was already posted, but I just noticed Hayseed Hamfest has listed a capacitor kit for this project: https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/ua-176

I hope I do not steal the Topic, but I think it is good idea to try Group buy for capacitor set:

If there is enough of us from Germany ( mybe even rest of the EU). We can even save some shippment money, if we order alltogether. I run a small a company with all the necisties for importing out of the U.S. and VAT registration, which should make all the process even cheaper for us. So PM me if you would 100% go for groupbuy so I can ask about special pricing.

cheers Jan

Sorry for the delay again folks,

In the meantime, after having the faceplates manufactured for the 2nd time I went through every single panel - and still more than 20 were not living up to my expectations.
So I had them re-done - for the third time(!)

The manufacturer told me that they were delivering German industry standard (which is actually rather high), but if that wasn’t enough for me, I should look for another supplier in the future...

Anyway, I received word yesterday that the 3rd run of faceplates was finished and the quality is supposedly very good.

They are on the way here now.
If they are all ok, the entire bunch is going to the printing house again and hopefully ready for shipping end of next week.

We’ll see. After all I went through with this project, I still try to stay optimistic.
So far it was the most obstacles I experienced with any of the projects I did so far.

The good thing is, that the chassis came out absolutely perfect - powder coating is flawless & the overall quality is outstanding!
To shorten the wait some pics of the actual production chassis with mounting brackets for the 1/4" jacks and the meter switch - I'll take some pics of the turret boards and pcbs when I'm at the studio tomorrow :)

o6p40584wjn8ti05g.jpg

igew7zlgjqzpno85g.jpg

ql849ypsadio5725g.jpg

Why not just mail Chassis out now..? That way we can get started...Faceplate is the last thing that can go on anyway!
Thanks!
Let us know.....

jslstudio said:
Why not just mail Chassis out now..? That way we can get started...Faceplate is the last thing that can go on anyway!
Thanks!
Let us know.....
Well you can see why not - shipping cost twice as much! Plus twice the hassle...

Phrazemaster said:
Well you can see why not - shipping cost twice as much! Plus twice the hassle...

Exactly ;)

I know it must be kinda hard to wait for so long, but believe me I'm on it :)

I just received word that the new faceplates are on the way here, so if nothing else goes wrong the first kits will finally ship next week. In the meantime I'm finishing up the turret boards and pcbs - I attached some pics.
Gentlemen - these are all handmade pcbs. Credits go out to fellow forum member livingnote who did an amazing job! I'm adding the fork turrets as we speak.

8g1w127en8l5ilu5g.jpg

cg4j83r74d6rwq85g.jpg

86w3q6ucxegcql95g.jpg

Hi team, got 4 sets of hayseed can caps today~really hoping that c9a, b is gonna fit that pcb, looks like a tag has got to go... and maybe slim down the 2 copper tags.... Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20181110_174916.jpg
    IMG_20181110_174916.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
moltenwok said:
Hi team, got 4 sets of hayseed can caps today~really hoping that c9a, b is gonna fit that pcb, looks like a tag has got to go... and maybe slim down the 2 copper tags.... Cheers

Any confirmation on the hayseed caps fit @rainton?

Hi All,

As we get closer to delivery wanted to share a dropbox folder containing detail images of our 4 units.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ha3or8vgm096bu/AADmkFUu_M3ugOGQ_Bjp1ztha?dl=0

Also I know there was already some discussion about the attenuators earlier in this thread but wanted to clarify as I've been down that road a few years ago and there are a few confusing elements.

These are 21  POSITION stepped attenuators with 2db difference between steps.  They should feel like a 21 position switch.  I saw mentioned earlier how they felt "smooth."  The ones that feel smooth are indeed still stepped attenuators, but the control doesn't have any "positions." 

This can be very confusing as many ebay listings correctly state "stepped" attenuator, but this does not necessarily mean they are the "locking position" type.

We are looking for a 21 position, 600 or 500 ohm attenuator, "taper" (audio) scale with Off position.

If you don't mind an extra dead position at the bottom you can buy one with the "cue" position, but the originals do not have this.

These are very hard to find and I have purchased around 12 different shallco and daven attenuators only to come up with two of the correct ones.

The best bet is to stick to finding a pair of LA-350-G's "Taper and off"

LA-353-G or F or LA-352-G or F will work but they will be linear scale.

LA-351 G or F may work but the scale is 1.5db per step so won't be true to the original.

It might be more worth your time to build a 21 position switch with the correct resistors.

Also worth mentioning the originals mostly used LANGEVIN rat601's  which are electrically identical to what I mentioned, however I've been searching for the better part of 4 years for them and have never seen them in the wild. They may have been a custom job for UA at the time.

Actually just found them in the Langevin catalog..... still haven't seen them around though.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.22.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 2.22.03 PM.png
    559.9 KB · Views: 19
Yes you are correct....I was very lucky to Find original Langevin 600/600  NON position attenuators........
Will know when Installed If they work correct....But are just like the ones on my original....Same connections on back etc.....
Just smooth no positions.....
Will see..:)
Thank,s For info!
John

Latest posts

Back