thomb

Re: [BUILD] fripholm's TG1 Zener Limiter boards - support thread
« Reply #460 on: June 19, 2020, 03:36:14 AM »
Thank you Fripholm.

JMan

« Reply #461 on: June 29, 2020, 03:41:43 PM »
Hey all, I’m slowly but surely getting my boards stuffed, and now thinking about the next steps.  I’ve read through Fripholm’s fabulous build guide numerous times, and I have to say I really appreciate how thorough it is!

I’m looking at transformers for my next purchase, and I’m hoping to get some thoughts from you all, as this is actually my first build that uses audio transformers and I’m feeling that newbie uncertainty.  I’m currently thinking about the Carnhill 9046 wired for 2:1 on input, and Sowter 1460 600:600 on output (links below.  I found both of these mentioned much earlier in the thread).

Very curious to hear your thoughts on these, or if you have better suggestions — I’ve seen that people have used other xfmrs throughout this thread, and I’m open to guidance!

Carnhill: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/CA%2d18%2dVTB9046M%5fextended%5finfo%2ehtml

Sowter: https://www.sowter.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=1460&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

Potato Cakes

« Reply #462 on: June 30, 2020, 02:35:44 AM »
Hey all, I’m slowly but surely getting my boards stuffed, and now thinking about the next steps.  I’ve read through Fripholm’s fabulous build guide numerous times, and I have to say I really appreciate how thorough it is!

I’m looking at transformers for my next purchase, and I’m hoping to get some thoughts from you all, as this is actually my first build that uses audio transformers and I’m feeling that newbie uncertainty.  I’m currently thinking about the Carnhill 9046 wired for 2:1 on input, and Sowter 1460 600:600 on output (links below.  I found both of these mentioned much earlier in the thread).

Very curious to hear your thoughts on these, or if you have better suggestions — I’ve seen that people have used other xfmrs throughout this thread, and I’m open to guidance!

Carnhill: http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/CA%2d18%2dVTB9046M%5fextended%5finfo%2ehtml

Sowter: https://www.sowter.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?page=search&SS=1460&PR=-1&TB=O&ACTION=Go%21

I put Sowters in mine. A bit more expensive and there was a several week lead time although Don Audio sometimes has various Sowter transformers in stock. Carnhills are more readily available and less expensive. Both will sound great.

Thanks!

Paul

JMan

« Reply #463 on: June 30, 2020, 02:07:40 PM »
I put Sowters in mine. A bit more expensive and there was a several week lead time although Don Audio sometimes has various Sowter transformers in stock. Carnhills are more readily available and less expensive. Both will sound great.

Thanks!

Paul

Hey Paul,

Thanks for your input! 

Do you recall which models of Sowters you used?  (I know it's gotta be here in the thread somewhere, I just haven't been able to go back and find it).

Since this is my first time using audio transformers, I'm hoping that whatever I end up choosing will be pretty straightforward to implement, as I want to save any more complicated adjustments and alterations for future projects when I have a little experience.

Potato Cakes

« Reply #464 on: July 01, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »
Hey Paul,

Thanks for your input! 

Do you recall which models of Sowters you used?  (I know it's gotta be here in the thread somewhere, I just haven't been able to go back and find it).

Since this is my first time using audio transformers, I'm hoping that whatever I end up choosing will be pretty straightforward to implement, as I want to save any more complicated adjustments and alterations for future projects when I have a little experience.

1295 for the input and 1365 for the out.

dunk91

« Reply #465 on: July 01, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »
Ok, so I've finished my unit and powered it up,  many things work as expected, many not.
Actually to keep boards debug easy I've bypassed input and output xformers and inject unbalanced signal on Byp1 and check output header with my oscilloscope. So bypass work as it should, in\out switches idem.

In THD mode I get a lot of distorsion, I can adjust level with r22 and r56 but distorsion is fixed, (I put a sine and get out a dirty square, no matter how I set both trimmers, only level change)

In Comp mode gain reduction never happen and again the signal gets louder and distorder (not a square but a very distorted sine this time)

In Limit mode sound is pretty clean and gain reduction seems to work correctly

I've checked mode\SC wiring and I can assure it's legit, I've also  tried to bypass switches and hardwire the the mode\SC header in all 3 positions and it behave the same as with switches installed.

Attack, release and sidechain hpf appear to work properly (only in limit mode of course)

Also I've got a ton of background noise, but this can be the opened case, messy wiring due to debug etc, I'll face this later.
I've tried both 1n751 and 1n5231, no big changes.
Already checked transistors and diodes orientation, resistors and cap value but nothing strange spotted.

More to this if I try to calibrate meters I get only 1mm of needle travel around middle trimmer range, for 95% of it's run it does nothing.

Now the only thing that buzz me is that I've used 1n483 instead of 1n4153, but I don't think they could lead to this beahviours, could they?
Any tip welcome, I can't think anything else to check  :'(

P.s.: Problems are common to both boards

ToBSn

« Reply #466 on: July 01, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
Sounds like a grounding issue.

If I remember correctly I had a similar problem when I had the boards running on my desk without a case.

dunk91

Yep I was thinking about grounding too, but I've star grounded everything to the chassis, where main inlet earth and psu output gnd are joined togheter. Here also are connected both boards ground (one gnd path for each board), internal cables shieldings, connector's pin 1 etc etc.

Sounds like a grounding issue.

If I remember correctly I had a similar problem when I had the boards running on my desk without a case.