point to point wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asm

in old amps/comps/and mics, the point to point wiring to the turret boards...

what metal are the actual turret pins made of? are they used as connector points or just lead holders?

thanks.
taylor

The turrets I've seen are usually brass plated with tin, although it is possible to order them with silver or gold plating. The two manufacturers I know of are Keystone Electronics in the states and Cambion in the U.K.

I like the hollow ones because you can easily run a wire up the arse of the pin from the underside of the board.

I've never been too worried about relying on the tin to be the conductor, although most of the time the leads touch before soldering anyway so it hardly makes a difference.

-E.

[quote author="asm"]what metal are the actual turret pins made of?[/quote]

I don't know about what they used in the good old days, but the stuff they make today is tin-dipped brass.

[quote author="asm"]are they used as connector points or just lead holders?[/quote]

Both.

Peace,
Al.

I like a good mess :grin:

But seriously isnt point to point said to be best for audio?

Cheers ....Gary O.

[quote author="gary o"]But seriously isnt point to point said to be best for audio?
[/quote]

It's said to be by many in the audiophoolery business.

But in reality, it all comes down to figuring out a decent layout - be it PCB or PTP or whatever..

Jakob E.

[quote author="StephenGiles"]........but I think it looks a mess![/quote]

http://mhuss.com/php/pix.php?p=DR504_gutsCl :shock: :shock: :shock:

never thought they where so "easy" to be wired :shock:
And I have a HiWott at my place btw...
Will open it first thing tomorrow

Tony

http://www.bogneramplification.com/Pcboard.htm
This is a great article explaining proper PCB construction.

Point to point is considered to be the "best" sounding for several reasons.
1. It is 3D. your layout isn't flat on one plane, allowing for simpler and shorter routing.
2. It is easy to change and modify. If something sounds bad in one place you can reposition it to another part of a chassis.
3. PCB is easier and cheeper to make thus cheep people who use cheep components build with PCBs thus people who still do point to point must not be cheep thus use better components thus make better gear.

The truth is PCB stuff can sound as good as point to point if the designer knows a lot about layouts and isn't afraid to do a lot of experimenting before making the final PCB. The good thing about PCBs is once the awesome layout is found it is easy to reproduce. The bad thing is 99% of manufacturers don't know a thing about proper layout. This is why I build most of my stuff PTP. I am probably only gonna build one, and I don't want to be screwed if my first layout sucks, and if 10 years down the road I want to mod it, I can.

EZ81: That's bootyful! I think also of the great old Tek tube 'scopes, which had those lovely porcelain-solder terminal row affairs. They gave you a little captive roll of silver-bearing solder if you had to make the rare repair, beyond just changing out a tube.

Sand state changed our lives, given the higher transconductances and the importance of stray inductance, especially at very low impedances like at bipolar emitters.

At moderate impedances and frequencies I doubt there is too much effect arising from the lossy dielectric properties of glass-epoxy, phenolic, and paper-epoxy. However, years ago Tektronix, IIRC, making transistor scopes, did discover some very significant effects from glass-epoxy when they tried to make little caps from copper patches and ground planes. They dubbed the problem "hook" because of the step-response anomalies' appearance. It was very raw-board-batch dependent and went away more or less with the fine-tuning of the curing process. We have to trust that these processes are being maintained now if we have significant trace capacitances at moderate-to-high Z.

Air insulation is better than just about anything, unless you are dealing with way-high voltages. But unsupported stretches of conductors are subject to vibration and attendent microphonics in the presence of E and B fields, so keep things rigid, damped by something if possible, and short.

The prototype HDCD encoders and decoders had a lot of 3D air circuits in the analog circuits according to one account. I don't know what finally made it into production.

Teflon standoffs are good for really critical high-Z connection points, although even there we have a process issue: early batches had a piezoelectric effect that took many minutes to settle. We are talking electrometer-style currents and charges here though, at the ~100 femtoamp level if memory serves.

Brad

quote; "Emperor´s new clothes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm reminded of a bumper sticker Floyd Toole had for a while: E = mc^2, +/- 3dB.

These are not 3dB effects for audio to be sure. Unless of course your amplifier is oscillating like a house on fire due to some coupling effects, and circuits of marginal stability to begin with. In which case, they may be very audible indeed.

Latest posts

Back