A good weekend for music

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madswitcher

... for me that is.

First off, my wife and I went to the Royal Albert Hall for a 'Space Spectacular'.  The Royal Philharmonic playing music with a space theme, from a couple of Holst's pieces from the Planets suite  to the full final credits theme from Star Wars and the theme from Superman.  I just love a full orchestra in full flight, particularly when you can see the musicians enjoying themselves as well, some of whom  played on some of the original recordings.  A nice walk through Hyde Park afterwards to wind down

Back home of the 'box was the making of John and Yoko's Plastic Ono Band.  Brilliant!

madswitcher said:
....  I just love a full orchestra in full flight, particularly when you can see the musicians enjoying themselves as well, some of whom  played on some of the original recordings.......

Hard to beat it. A wall of sound hits you. I used to get a lot of that when my wife worked at the opera.

But my weekend special was the CD  of the recordings of a series 'American Epic' that finished last week about American Root Music.  Strangely, Elton John was/is in one of the sessions with Jack White. Steve Martin is also on Banjo in another.  Taj Mahal,  Blind Boy Paxton and so on. A complete treat.

Hi Ian,

it was on Sky Arts as part of the 'Classic Album' series.  Its series 2, episode 3 and its called simply 'John Lennon: Classic Album'.  I think it was broadcast last Friday or Saturday.

Regards

Mike

madswitcher said:
Hi Ian,

it was on Sky Arts as part of the 'Classic Album' series.  Its series 2, episode 3 and its called simply 'John Lennon: Classic Album'.  I think it was broadcast last Friday or Saturday.

Regards

Mike

Cool. Sky Arts does have some surprisingly good music programmes.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back