A good weekend for music
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
... for me that is.

First off, my wife and I went to the Royal Albert Hall for a 'Space Spectacular'.  The Royal Philharmonic playing music with a space theme, from a couple of Holst's pieces from the Planets suite  to the full final credits theme from Star Wars and the theme from Superman.  I just love a full orchestra in full flight, particularly when you can see the musicians enjoying themselves as well, some of whom  played on some of the original recordings.  A nice walk through Hyde Park afterwards to wind down

Back home of the 'box was the making of John and Yoko's Plastic Ono Band.  Brilliant!

ruffrecords

Re: A good weekend for music
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:39:03 AM »

Back home of the 'box was the making of John and Yoko's Plastic Ono Band.  Brilliant!

What channel was that on? I missed it - maybe I can get it in CatchUp.

Cheers

ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'

sahib

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »

....  I just love a full orchestra in full flight, particularly when you can see the musicians enjoying themselves as well, some of whom  played on some of the original recordings.......

Hard to beat it. A wall of sound hits you. I used to get a lot of that when my wife worked at the opera.

But my weekend special was the CD  of the recordings of a series 'American Epic' that finished last week about American Root Music.   Strangely, Elton John was/is in one of the sessions with Jack White. Steve Martin is also on Banjo in another.  Taj Mahal,  Blind Boy Paxton and so on. A complete treat.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
Hi Ian,

it was on Sky Arts as part of the 'Classic Album' series.   Its series 2, episode 3 and its called simply 'John Lennon: Classic Album'.  I think it was broadcast last Friday or Saturday.

Regards

Mike

ruffrecords

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
Hi Ian,

it was on Sky Arts as part of the 'Classic Album' series.   Its series 2, episode 3 and its called simply 'John Lennon: Classic Album'.  I think it was broadcast last Friday or Saturday.

Regards

Mike

Cool. Sky Arts does have some surprisingly good music programmes.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'