Desktop remote for Sound Skulptor MC624 monitor controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blackdawg said:
Even if you just printed a few more boards up with the SMT stuff on it with a BOM for everything else. Id be down for that.

Looks great!

Same here,this would make the controller complete,I really love mine but need a small remote on my desk.

Best regards,

Udo.

I have some more PCBs I'd give away, no parts on there though. It really isn't that hard to do SMT soldering...

There are some things to consider:
- do people want to program their controllers themselves?
- if so, do I need to include USB interfacing on the PCB or do people have ICSP programmers....?
- what values for series resistors for LEDs? I prefer very dim LEDs for instance...
- maybe people want their own programming/functions etc.

I guess a through hole version could be done, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest for making it happen

Best regards,
Mathias

buckethead said:
I have some more PCBs I'd give away, no parts on there though. It really isn't that hard to do SMT soldering...

- if so, do I need to include USB interfacing on the PCB or do people have ICSP programmers....?
- what values for series resistors for LEDs? I prefer very dim LEDs for instance...

I guess a through hole version could be done, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest for making it happen

Best regards,
Mathias

Well..

As i know very little about the andrino and programming them..I can't answer your first two questions haha My dad is REALLY into them though so I know I could make it work no matter what.

LEDs are easy enough to change. I know i don't need ultra bright ones.

But I see your point. Like if someone wanted to add an LED display or something. I know Id just want the buttons likely and knob like yours.

Can't you use a constant-current source for the LEDs and set the value you prefer?

Incorporate a front panel LDR and you can have the LEDs set their brightness automatically according to the ambient light...

Did you know that railway signals have a day / night switch in the signal box? They are dimmer at night as there is more contract due to lack of ambient light

Nick Froome

I am so very interested in this .
I am more of a noob in the electrical engineering and programming department but this controller would solve so many things for me and it looks super cool. Im really hoping for a PCB in the future, SMD or through hole, I would give it a shot. I would be totally lost on any  programing needed though..

Keeping a eye on this thread!
You guys consistently amaze me.

I'm also very interested in this project! This would make the monitor controller complete.

Pleeeease somebody make this available somehow! Maybe Soundskulptor could even add this to their site.

The controller that you make does it send commands to the mc-624 for which execute them or is it executing the commands as well? For example;  if I were to select input 1 to output 4 would it command pins to relays to do that or is it just sending a command to the MC 624 micro-controller?
In other words could it be used as a brain for someone to make their own monitor controller?

Did this ever end up anywhere? Very interested!

buckethead said:

Best regards,
Mathias

I'd be very interested in a remote too, especially a simple one like your Mathias... and love the fact that it's "just" USB !
Any news regarding the PCB and coding part ?

Thanks a lot

thomas

Hi guys,

sorry to hijack this old thread, but I've been working on my own version of a remote control for the MC624 and I didn't want to open a new thread.

When back then I came across this thread I was really impressed by Chad's work and wanted to try my own version of a remote control. I've been thinking about it for quite some time already, but I was always afraid of the programming stuff (it's just been too long, forgot most of it...), so you could say Chad's thread really helped me overcome that fear and give it a shot. So I started putting something together, fooling around with arduino etc. One and a half years later it is finally finished and I thought I leave some pics here and also, thanks Chad for the inspiration and code and so on, really helped a lot! :)

As you can see, I built a simpler version, just buttons and volume control (also with a pot, not an encoder). It connects to the MC624 through a standard USB cable, the MC624 is supplying the remote with 5V - had to change the 5V regulator in the MC624 for something bigger tho, but now it works perfectly. The controller used here is a Mega2560, same as Chad used, but I put together a small PCB for it, to fit everything into a Hammond case.

I guess that's it for now

Best regards,
Mathias

Edit: Had to put the images in here, had security issues with using the attachement function

rmc1_01.jpg

rmc1_02.jpg

The only reason I haven't purchased a MC624's is because I need a remote in my setup. I'm not into the idea of a complete DIY build. If there was a kit I would buy the MC624 and the remote.

Searching the Internet again for a decent monitor controller with 4 speaker outs with a good reputation and I end up on this thread.

The only reason I haven't purchased a MC624's is because I need a remote in my setup. I don't have the time for a full DIY build and learn programming skills. If there was a kit I would buy the MC624 and the remote.

We are working on a remote control. It should be available before the end of the year.
Amazing, thanks for the update. Is there going to be any need for a chassis upgrade to allow connection? Should I be patience a buy as a full kit or should I wait for an easy integration of remote and unit?

Latest posts

Back