Aphex Expressor 651 - VCA 1001 trimming/adjustment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonedude

... I made a mistake ...

... help needed !!

Does anybody know how to trim and adjust the the 3x VCA 1001 in the 651 Aphex Expressor?

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2017-06-19 kl. 19.06.29.png
    Skärmavbild 2017-06-19 kl. 19.06.29.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 55
Measure distortion and control-voltage-breakthrough?

edit: Looking at a similar unit, the StudioDominatorII, it seems that these three pots are for nulling out control-voltage-breakthrough

Attached from that manual, 1/2

Jakob E.

Attachments

• AphexDominatorII_detail_1.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 30
gyraf said:
Measure distortion and control-voltage-breakthrough?

edit: Looking at a similar unit, the StudioDominatorII, it seems that these three pots are for nulling out control-voltage-breakthrough

Attached from that manual, 1/2

Jakob E.

Much appreciated, thank you Jakob!

I did the calibration following the guidlines in the second part (8.1.4 Shift Null). As it turned out I was lucky not using an external "sweep source" because I initially missread the text and thought it said 0 - 10 volt, but it actually says 0 - minus 10 volt... :eek:

What I did instead was sending in an 1kHz signal in to sidechain return, I then set it up so I manualy could do the "sweep" from 0 dB to 20 dB gain reduction using the threshold pot. Seemed to work just fine. Measurments was done using a multimeter and Signalscope.

I was able to get the "shift" within 20mV sweeping with the threshold, and somewhere down to 1 or 2 mV when the unit did not compress. I don't know if that is considered good but I noticed that there is no measurable difference in distortion when getting close enought. It's kind of tricky adjusting the two trimpots on the Expressor because off the unpredictable interaction between them. I did trim VCA U104 first then VCA U109, then going back to U104 and so on... I think it's good enough.  ;D 8)

Is it normal for these to distort when the Release it moves to faster than .1? I basically can't move it it any farther left than 9 o'clcok without it create a very audible high pitch distorition.

Ryan

Latest posts

Back