echo chamber out of a shipping container.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I looked at designing a house based on stacking up some containers (ASSuming they would be in surplus here and cheap).  Not really but they do get repurposed when they are old and taken out of service.

At 40' long there is probably enough internal volume to make a decent chamber (in a quiet neighborhood). Of course if you have space you could dig a hole and bury it to make it quieter.

JR

Yes, do avoid parallel walls and floor/ceiling. The 1952 film says "just to stop favouritism for certain sounds". Most terrible sounding would be the flutter echoes . (The corrugated walls in the untreated  container may tame these just a little, but you'd likely want to take care of isolatian anyway.) Next would be standing waves in general and peaks and nulls in the room.

James took care of the parallel surfaces. The proportions still don't seem ideal, but hey, it's an echo chamber, not the main room.

I just met a guy who works in a company which manufactures acoustic materials. They use a shipping container as an echo chamber for measurements.

This night I dreamed of echo chambers.

One was more narrow and out of metal like a container. It had a nice boom and an aggressive ring.
Next door I was standing on an edge 2/3 high of a very big room. It sounded a little like outside on a cliff, but with a cool late reverb.
It just had to be careful not to fall down...... and then all the wires.  8)

Latest posts

Back