• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Grayhill PC mount series 71 hollow shaft switches FOR SALE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everybody!

I'm working on a project right now that involves  concentric switches/potentiometers. I have these particular parts for prototypes, but to turn it in to a product, I'm looking at acquiring hollow shaft Grayhill Series 71 PCB mount switches to speed up the assembly process. I spoke to the region Grayhill rep today and I am hoping tomorrow I will know about minimum quantity and pricing. Ideally, having these switches made as needed would be best, but I am also looking at buying just the shafts and retrofitting them or finding someone locally that can and will drill them out.

In the event that the price is not out of reach to have these made with the hollow shaft, is there any interest here for something like this? They would be Series 71, PC mount, single deck, one and two poles, 1/4" shaft with 1/8" hole.

Thanks!

Paul

EDIT: The switches have arrived. So far 10 of the double and 14 of the singles are reserved for myself and a couple other people. Due to quantity I could afford as it relates to the price breaks, these are $24USD a piece plus PayPal and $5 flat shipping to lower 48 states. I would have liked it to be lower, but the cost to purchase the quantity with the best price break was way outside my budget. I have not been able to find anyone who has these in stock. They are 71 series, 1/4" shaft with an 1/8" concentric hole, single deck that are 1x12 and 2x6 with factory stop pins. PM or email me at [email protected]

Attachments

• Gray hill 1.jpg
    Gray hill 1.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 98
I looked at drilling out shafts of the Grayhills on a small precision lathe, and decided that it was just too much trouble for me.  YMMV.  I was able to find a small number at a local surplus house, and I bought (and used) them all.  However, I would be interested in some hollow shaft switches if you decide to go that route.
Best,
Bruno2000

Good to know.

I am still on standby with Grayhill. I'm meeting a guy today to see about going the lathe route.

Updates to follow.

Thanks!

Paul

I got a quote about a year ago for some dual concentric Grayhills. Very expensive as I recall and a sizeable minimum order. Hollow shaft single wafer types would be very interesting. Count me in.

Cheers

Ian

I'd be interested in a good bunch, depending on how it goes. 12-position, especially.

Grayhill said they will do it, I'm just waiting on pricing. These will be 1x12 and 2x6 single pole.

For those who are interested, could you send me the quantity you would looking to get. This is not a group buy invitation per se, I'm just trying to get a general idea of what kind of demand there is.

Thanks!

Paul

Looks like they are going to be about $20USD a piece. That about $3-4 more than what whey are stock. I'll be ordering some in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.
For pricing see first post.

Thanks!

Paul

bruno2000 said:
Anything further on this?  I'm interested in 3 deck hollow shaft switches......
Best,
Bruno2000

This is happening, but it's on standby till closer when I get back from tour, which will be at the end of September. I will only be ordering single deck, single and dual poles.

Mid September I'll be placing the ordering and will let everyone know the what's and what nots then.

Thanks!

Paul

Hello, everyone!

Update:

Tomorrow I am going find out what the lead time on this order will be so I'll know when to order so they show up at the end of the month. I'm ordering 50 of the single pole and 50 dual pole, all single deck. At this quantity they are going to be $20-25USD a piece, which I'll know more when I get a final cost. I'm keeping 4 of each for myself and will sell the rest. I will ship overseas, I just don't know the best way to do that. Maybe I'll ask Jeff at CAPI for recommendations. If anyone is serious about wanting some of these let me know. If the interest is substantial, I may consider placing a bigger order.

Thanks!

Paul

bruno2000 said:
Single.  Probably 20 pieces.
Best,
Bruno2000

Copy that. It seems for the time being that I will only be doing single deck switches.

I'm placing the order today as i found out that the lead time is 8-10 weeks. I am just waiting to see if there is a significant shift downward for price per unit for larger quantities.

Thanks!

Paul

I prodded the sales rep today as I should have had an answer by now. I was told he would try to find out today, yesterday. Maybe tomorrow I will have some numbers and be able to order these guys.

Sometimes it takes a great deal of effort to give people my money...

Thanks!

Paul

I finally got a price and a drawing to approve. For the quantity I am ordering (50 single, 50 double pole, all single deck), I can sell these to whoever wants them for $24 a piece plus paypal and shipping. I don't have the capital to order more to meet the next price break, so if there is enough interest to do a quantity of 250 or 500 that price will be lowered. Those numbers are half single and half double pole.

I am keeping 4 of each for myself for initial order. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get a list going. If the demand is great enough I'll open a group buy. Keep in mind I was told the lead time is 6-8 weeks.

Thanks!

Paul

The order has finally been placed today! The only bummer is they plan on it taking a little bit longer since for them this a "new" product, but still possible to arrive sooner than they are letting on. If I can figure out how to do accurate shipping costs (especially international), I'll start taking orders. I don't own a store front of any kind, so I don't know what to accurately charge for freight. If someone who does this kind of shipping frequently would like to point me in the right direction, please PM me.

As of right now, here is what I have for people who are more than interested:

Myself and business associates - 10 single, 10 double
SubhumanRecords - 4 single

Thanks!

Paul

Back