• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Grayhill PC mount series 71 hollow shaft switches FOR SALE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello!

The switches are finally here!

I currently have 36 single pole and 40 double pole that have not been reserved. Please email me at paul(at)scodovasound(dot)com if you would like to order. The price is $24 plus shipping plus 2.9% Paypal.

If you are a Nashville local I can meet in person to save the shipping and PayPal cost

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• Gray hill 1.jpg
    Gray hill 1.jpg
    939.7 KB · Views: 68
That is what I bought then to do. The the 1073 EQ boards that I have use a Grayhill foot print for the frequency selectors with gain pot solder positions behind them. They could be used for any other concentric switch/pot application I suppose.

Thanks!

Paul

Sorry for the off-topic but I can't view the photos. Did you take them down or something's wrong with my browser?

Weird. I'll check and see what's up. But they are exactly like this:

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/GR%2d03%2d002%5fextended%5finfo%2ehtml

With D-shaft and a 1/8" hole through the middle. Available in dual and single pole.

Thanks!

Paul

MountCyanide said:
Hey Paul -
Have you still got these? I'd like to grab a few.
And what pot did you find fits/works best with this combo?

I still do. The Bourns or BiTechnologies with long 1/8 shafts or if you use shaft couplers seem to work best. Any 5/8" or smaller sealed square body pots will work you just have to figure how to mount them to the same PCB behind the switch. I have a 1073 project that I just wrapped up using these switches and long shaft Bourns with center detent and they work great.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Yeah, the trick is getting it snug and stable onto the board. This is why I wanted to know what model you found that worked best before buying these switches off of you. Then I can build a library part for the pot and design it into my PCB. Care to share that model you used?

I'll have to do some digging. For the boards I am using the pots I have don't solder directly to PCB. I fitted the shaft through the Grayhill then did some custom fastening to secure the pot. What I would recommend is using some like this: http://capi-gear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=50_131&products_id=308. Then add a shaft extension. For mounting to make sure the shaft lines up, you fit the shaft in the Grayhill and solder the switch in place. Then you would solder the pot at whatever height it winds up being that makes the shaft straight and not bind. This is how Jeff at CAPI does all of his attenuators for his preamps. Or you can have a riser PCB like Mike at Hairball does his Lola preamps. I think this approach might be a bit easier than trying to find a potentiometer that has a shaft at the same height from a PCB surface to match the concentric hole of the Grayhill. I did try finding something to do what you are looking to design but it wound up being easier to just find the shaft length and value then make it the physical dimensions work with the board I was using. The other option would be a custom order, which can have long lead times and expensive minimum orders as you may know.

Thanks!

Paul

Thank you, that's very helpful. I like the idea of the Bourns pot and soldering to match height. I found some 3mm steel rods as well as some 3mm couplers on Amazon. I'll email you to buy a couple just to start and if it works out I'll get more as it seems you have plenty.

Seems to be working out nicely. I got the Bourns pots from CAPI and used the aforementioned shaft couplers off of Amazon. 3.18mm to be exact. The 3mm’s were too narrow for the Bourns pots. I doubled up on some double-sided tape beneath the pots to make them a little more snug besides solder.  Thanks and I’ll probably be buying some more off of you soon.

Attachments

• A0ECF3E1-3CF6-4F8F-8F2C-A5704AF5E562.jpeg
    A0ECF3E1-3CF6-4F8F-8F2C-A5704AF5E562.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 67
Glad they worked out for you. 3mm is a bit too small for 1/8" shafts. Good to know that up to 3.18mm will fit in the hollowed out part of the Grayhill switch.

Thanks!

Paul

Back