Iphone audio output to balanced input

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvrdy

hi,
I have connected Iphone audio output (unbalanced) to balanced input of my console (as a 2tr machine) the sound is fine but the volume is too low... maybe with a transformer it can be improved but what impedances and ratios?

thanks,

You might actually need to load the outputs or the phone won't "detect" that headphones are present. Try adding 100R resistors across each output.

Since you ae using a line in you could feed the iphone through a 600:10K transformer which wold raise the level by 12dB.

Cheers

Ian

the easiest way will run you  around 50.00(USD) on the used market sometimes as high as 75.00(USD) but, get yourself a used apex 124A

Sure it's not DIY but boy what a useful box to have.  Then get yourself or build a mini  to duel RCA for input. and wire up the outputs as 2trk returns.

Use the aphex to bump up the iPhone to a balanced line level connection and problem solved.

I run one on my test bench and play program material from the phone to test things outside of the AP test and measurement stuff. Nothing beats stereo program material to test a unit after you have measured a unit to insure it's working.

that's weird, you shouldn't have any problem, what cable are you using and what mixer?
i know this is stupid but your iphone volume is set at max?
i do it all the time and always have to use the pad in the mixer when using phone headphone to line in...

jtvrdy said:
hi,
I have connected Iphone audio output (unbalanced) to balanced input of my console

The Iphone output is stereo, so you have 2 unbalanced line signals

Did you connected each one of those to an input on your console, using 2 balanced inputs, or did you connect both L and R line outs to only one balanced input?
If you did so, it's normal you have problems, and low volume is not even the biggest of them

It's not clear in your post how did you connect it

If you connect it properly you shouldn't have any volume problems, just set your iphone volume on Max

jtvrdy said:
hi,
I have connected Iphone audio output (unbalanced) to balanced input of my console (as a 2tr machine) the sound is fine but the volume is too low... maybe with a transformer it can be improved but what impedances and ratios?

thanks,

he said he has it as a 2 track return. I would suspect in the monitor section as an external source.

Might be a wiring incompatibility. That cable should be wired like # 17 in this pic:

n110fig4b.png

But if the balanced end (To Input end) is not actually balanced and assumes the signal is relative to pin 1, then that might be the problem.

Unscrew the 1/8" plug housing and stick a piece of bus wire into the cable shield (which should be left unconnected as per diagram 17 mentioned above) and, while monitoring the level, touch the other end to the ground of the plug. That will connect the ground of the iPhone to pin 1 of the balanced end.

That cable is a Y adapter, TRS(1/8"stereo) to 2TRS(2 tt Bantam stereo).  Not unbalanced to balanced. I don't know how the jack contacts are, but the signal may be getting cancelled or shorted.  TRS or tip-ring-sleeve is left-right-ground. (The phone jack has a mic too, so TRRS, a four conductor with mic on the sleeve.) You might try 1/8" TRS to 2 TS tt Bantam, or depending how the bantam jack is wired, just unplug one of the tt bantam plugs on that cable.

jtvrdy said:
hi,

I don't get it -- I plug my iPhone into mixing consoles all the time and don't have any level problems. I use whatever 1/8" TRS-to-two-RCA-plus-1/4" TS things the house guy has, and I have one of those cables in my kit. It just works.

Live Walter, Squarewave and I said before if might be a wiring problem.

I also don't have any problem with level when I connect my iphone or ipod from the headphone output socket into any mixing console.

Andy Peters said:
I don't get it -- I plug my iPhone into mixing consoles all the time and don't have any level problems. I use whatever 1/8" TRS-to-two-RCA-plus-1/4" TS things the house guy has, and I have one of those cables in my kit. It just works.

This has been my experience as well: the iPhone can put out a volt or two peak into even 60 ohm cans, so driving a bridging input shouldn't be too much of a sweat.  I use a 3.5mm to dual-RCA plug, then adapt to 1/4" TS.

Latest posts

Back