Trouble shooting a LDC (Pacific Pro Audio LD-One)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinkace

Currently not passing any audio. If I give it a good whack it does show a spike, but it doesn't look like audio - there's no progression in the spike, it's either strong enough whack that it hits 0dbfs, or nothing.

I don't see any damage internally. My first thought is the capsule.

Do you normally whack your microphones? Maybe you should be a builder using hammers, not a recording engineer??
Take it to a professional, I suspect you dont have the technical ability to fix it.

radardoug said:
Do you normally whack your microphones? Maybe you should be a builder using hammers, not a recording engineer??
Take it to a professional, I suspect you dont have the technical ability to fix it.

Lol, ok.

No, I don't normally whack microphones. This one is good as dead, I wanted to see if it passed *any* audio.

radardoug said:
Do you normally whack your microphones?
some people do...  but mostly cheap dynamic mics like sm58.
Maybe you should be a builder using hammers, not a recording engineer??
speculation without basis...
More speculation...  He was asking for advice...

Percussive troubleshooting is not advised for fragile equipment  (like a vacuum tube mic).  In fact a microphone being microphonic (means that it makes an electrical signal when disturbed ) is not the most helpful thing for troubleshooting a mic.

If the mic is not passing audio, a 0dbfs spike does not seem like a gentle tap?  :eek:  Especially if the mic is designed to resist handling noise.

JR

@ radardoug  off the meds again? you may need to go back for some more sensitivity training, we have tender souls around these days.

JohnRoberts said:
If the mic is not passing audio, a 0dbfs spike does not seem like a gentle tap?

I read this as perhaps having a tiny short of the HV to the diaphragm, and a light tap momentary opened the short, giving a huge overload spike. I doubt he was pounding railroad spikes in with it. ;D

Manually moderated G-force pulses applied to intermittent electronics (tapping with a small screwdriver handle) is a valid troubleshooting technique, IMO. I have used a carbide tip engraver pen, set real low, to inject vibration to pinpoint intermittents on powered circuit boards while listening. Get within an inch of ground zero, and the monitor speaker goes apeshirt.

Gene

PS: Just last night, yet again, I had to grab the plastic remote control, reach through the ratsnest of wires up into the belly of the beast, and tap the neck of the green CRT on that special spot to get video drive working.

Purple TV sucks.

Gene Pink said:
I read this as perhaps having a tiny short of the HV to the diaphragm, and a light tap momentary opened the short, giving a huge overload spike. I doubt he was pounding railroad spikes in with it. ;D

Manually moderated G-force pulses applied to intermittent electronics (tapping with a small screwdriver handle) is a valid troubleshooting technique, IMO. I have used a carbide tip engraver pen, set real low, to inject vibration to pinpoint intermittents on powered circuit boards while listening. Get within an inch of ground zero, and the monitor speaker goes apeshirt.

Gene

PS: Just last night, yet again, I had to grab the plastic remote control, reach through the ratsnest of wires up into the belly of the beast, and tap the neck of the green CRT on that special spot to get video drive working.

Purple TV sucks.
I feel like there needs to be a safety warning..... do not do what Gene does.... unless you know what you are doing... (i.e. avoid the skinny part of video tubes with power on...  or that funny wire all by itself on top.  :eek: ).

JR

Back