API 24 channel Recap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

So after recapping the a Focusrite Red 6 for a friend and having such an improvement in sound,  I decided to do a global replacement on my 1976  24 channel API.  I have just replaced parts as needed over the years.    I ordered mostly Nichicon Muse caps for audio and FG series for the odd values.  There are 10 AI caps in the 528C and 7 in the 550a. 

This was encouraged by the use of a FG 300 Hakko used on the Focusrite.  It makes things so much easier.  I've been doing the channels and EQ's but will be doing all modules including summing and booster amps along with Echo and Cue modules.  I'll post other pictures if your interested.

The magic is in the simplicity of the design.

Attachments

• api 528 benc.jpg
    api 528 benc.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 42
550a EQ with 2520's.  Nobody would build like this anymore. 

Attachments

• api 550a 2520.jpg
    api 550a 2520.jpg
    903.2 KB · Views: 34
by fg-300 are you referring to the de soldering tool? We recently replaced our pace desoldering tools at work with the hakkos. The pace although nice were too expensive to maintain. The hakko is les expensive all around and works wonders.

Yes Hakko FG 300.  Works exceptional.  Especially on these single sided api PCB's.  It worked well on dual sided PCB focus rite but sometimes I would add solder to one side and then suck out  to get a clean hole through.

fazer said:
Yes Hakko FG 300.  Works exceptional.  Especially on these single sided api PCB's.  It worked well on dual sided PCB focus rite but sometimes I would add solder to one side and then suck out  to get a clean hole through.

yeah they are handy. It took me a little while to get used to the gun style as before we were using the pace pencil de solder tool. But once I did boy what a great piece of kit.  easy to keep clean, easy to have working, very inexpensive compared to others.

Worth every penny.  We had a high end solder desolder station at the old studio.  Had to change caps twice on an Amek Mozart 40 ch.  in its 15 year life span due to problem caps.  I'm not sure the traces would of held up a 3rd time.  I'm glad I'm not working on it.  The API is way easier

Latest posts

Back