sE2200aII C microphone has static

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleyquinn

I have had the worst trouble with static. I had a cheap $20 mic that had a lot of static so I purchased a 48V phantom power that significantly improved the mic. I decided to take a big step up and got the sE2200aII C mic thinking that it would plug into my phantom power and work, especially with it being a highly rated microphone. But instead I have the devil static forever haunting me. The sE website calls for a 48V phantom power and that is what it currently is hooked up to. That then leads into my PC. What else can I do because I am much out of my element and nothing I have seen online has helped.

The sE website calls for a 48V phantom power and that is what it currently is hooked up to. That then leads into my PC.

Hooked up thru what? A stand alone +48v power supply? Then you plug into your Pc...through a dedicated soundcard or in the mic input of the motherboard?

If this is the last scenario you are probably experiencing either a bad impedance adaptation, the bad quality of the mobo AD, the even poorer quality of the gain stage, maybe ground loop... or all at once!

+48v is NEEDED to supply the impedance converter in the mic itself and to bias the capsule if the mic is a condenser mic (which is the case of the SE), but this won't give you enough gain as the output signal from the mic is very weak in level, for this you need a preampliflier (which usually as a +48v supply built in), the out of the preamplifier is then sent to a AD (analog to digital converter) to enter digital world and give access to your PC.

Please once as asked by Ruud you have described what you hear as 'static' give a complete description of hardware used and intended use, this will help to identify the issue.

KrIVIUM2323 said:
Hooked up thru what? A stand alone +48v power supply? Then you plug into your Pc...through a dedicated soundcard or in the mic input of the motherboard?

The mic is connected to the phantom which is connected to the 3.5mm jack that is on the front of my computer. I have tried to connect it to the 3.5mm jack on the mother board but I find that it gets some faint electronic noises when I do. I know that is probably due to a poor connection somewhere but I have checked all the connections and they are fine. I assuming this mean something in my computer is not up to par but I have no idea what. I do not know how to post a clip of the sound but as I said the mic is  sE2200aII C which is connected to a Ohuhu Phantom power (48V) which is then connected to my pc.

file:///C:/Users/Noah%20Cummins/Music/testing.mp3

As Adam Savage would say - "THERE's ya problem!.."

On-board sound cards are notoriously noisy - just think about all the digital circuitry rushing around at hundreds of MHz, spewing out gobbles of EMI and RFI. All the digital components aren't too sensitive to that, but the (relatively) tiiiiny analog signal that's passing in such close proximity to all that interference is comparable in amplitude to all the noise the wiring picks up on the way, inside the case / on the mainboard.

If you take some time to browse through eBay and such, you should be able to find a decent-enough 2in/2out USB audio interface for well under 100$ or your local equivalent.

Something like that and you are done:

Behringer U-Phoria UMC22.

45euros in Europe.
You may think it's more money to spend (and you are right, and don't forget to add the xlr cable) but it's way less that the mic you bought and the cable adaptators (and maybe less than your stand alone p48...) and you plugit and it works (not the best front end or AD you could find but nothing like what you experienced until now).

Back