TSM equalizer rework

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RFSiesta

Hi, We own a very custom 80 that includes 24 TSM equalizers, to be used through switchable inserts, over patchbay connections (channel 1-24 are already normalized through them).
I  always found them to be a little bit too "tubby" and saturated sounding to get used often. We now got a couple of replacement modules from the bay and I like the sound of them much better than mine - it's more open, more information depth as it seems. A bit more grainy as well, which is good.

There are only some differences between them, one is different filter types in different modules. I decided to ignore this, as all the six replacements sound great, no matter what caps.
Second difference: my TSMs have TL071, three of the "old" ones have 7814s and the other three house 8004s, iIrc. Both types are almost impossible to track, and changing a couple of 071 for OPA134 has not made a big difference in sound.
I don’t think they are responsible for any magic here ;)

Next difference is a 1k series resistor following C18. This, in combination with the peak LED circuit, should lead to some audio clipping - but when we removed it and also bypassed the clipper, it also did not make the difference we were looking for.

So: What we now make responsible for the difference is the missing output stage:
In the schems you see a class A/B output stage following the last TL071. In our case, those have been replaced by only 5534 and a wire bridge, leaving the whole AB block empty. Should be powerful enough to drive the insert return stage with Z=10k? But maybe the sound is different.

We plan now to populate the AB output stage. We could not track BD517/518 or BD519/520s pairs - there’s people who used BD135/136 here in the Trident 80. The 80 circuit has similar output stages, with one big difference: If R72 of the TSM schem was moved directly to TR2 base it would not affect the collector current of TR2, so the 80 circuit is completely symmetrical.

I have two questions now:

- How does the TSM output stage work? It's not symmetric, R72 is 12k - so current through TR2 is heavily limited, as soon as the output hits any regular - or even lower - input Z, a mic input for example. TR1 has full current available. I don't get the point of this configuration  :-X

- And: anyone knows replacements for TR1/TR2? Should we try BD135/136? Voltage is rated lower - 48V, but this is well inside the limits. Pinout could be different, of course. I would order more than a couple if they work as a replacement. Any other ideas?
Thank you!

Attachments

• TSM EQout.jpg
    TSM EQout.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 72
That's obviously mistake in the drawing. Collector of TR2 should go to +V. You can use 135-6 or 139-40 pairs for TR1 and 2, IMO.

moamps said:
That's obviously mistake in the drawing. Collector of TR2 should go to +V. You can use 135-6 or 139-40 pairs for TR1 and 2, IMO.
Autsch! I think you're right. Just checked it on the circuit board. So it's absolutely identical with the 80B stages...
Thanks a lot ;)
You think this circuit could make all the difference? It's subtle, but very important. Seems to add depth to the whole signal path... The "5534 only" modules sound compressed and small in comparison.

You can try this mod on one channel and see.  For sure it will raise the available output current but also overall console's power consumption.

moamps said:
You can try this mod on one channel and see.  For sure it will raise the available output current but also overall console's power consumption.
That's right - The stages don't get too hot, though, and we have a very large PSU from GRS with plenty of headroom.
I ordered 139/140 pairs with Hfe>25. There's different types of Hfe available (139 10 or 139 16 f.ex); 25, 40, 60 and 120 iIrc. I guess 25 is enough in a line driver stage? The "straight" 139/140 have 25. I will try next week, when the chips are here.

We got the MJE172/182 to work. According to Mr. Williams on another thread about the 80b output stage, we changed the bias resistors to 10k each, instead of 12/7.5. We put 2.2k in the place of the two diodes and then bridged the base connectors again with two diodes. So the signal runs through the resistors instead.
Sound better! Very clear already, now we get rid of some of the coupling caps. This design has caps all over and we could replace 4 of them, one with a 56Ω resistor, the others with wire. Some of the TL071 have been replaced by opa134 that produce a lot less dc offset.
I expect some minor crackling when I engage the EQ and/or the filters, but I can live with that for some more signal quality...
Will keep you informed about the result!

complete original schematics are here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/geekslutz-forum/389646d1395009289-trident-80b-modifications-tsm-eq.pdf

No issues! We removed four caps and changed output to class AB, the results are cool. Difference is subtle, but the new one is clearer and "deeper" sounding now. it's better to work with and doesn't have this saturated sound like before, without loosing any of the character it had in the first place, which is very good...

Hi RFSiesta,

please can you post a modified schematic of your mods?
Sounds interesting

Sorry for late reply! We found removing the caps to be only of minor difference, and went back to original configuration. That is, including the class AB stage with bipolar transistors. This is the best sounding version IMHO.

a bit of an odd choice, but 2n2217 A and 2n2905A  TO39 transistors will work as your outputs as well...
in the original TSM prototype, RCA 40361 / 40362 were used - same as the A range it replaced

on a side note -
anyone have any ideas on repacement faders for the TSM EQs?

Latest posts

Back