NOS 25K Lin Pot with SPDT Switch?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Hey all, I'm building an 1176 and wanted to upgrade my pots for NOS stuff, as I hear the alphas can get scratchy over time. I know, carbon pots all do that, but quality AB or Clarostats or Ohmites surely would last longer. Indeed, I wonder what UA originally used for these. This is the "attack" pot by the way.

Trouble is I can't seem to find 25K linear pot with an attached SPDT switch. Yeah, it had to be a SPDT and not a SPST.

So I'm wondering if this is a snipe hunt? Or should I just settle on the obscurely configured alpha and be done with it? Where would you go about searching for a pot like this? I've tried the bay and googling.

Thanks,

Mike

Phrazemaster said:
Hey all, I'm building an 1176 and wanted to upgrade my pots for NOS stuff, as I hear the alphas can get scratchy over time. I know, carbon pots all do that, but quality AB or Clarostats or Ohmites surely would last longer. Indeed, I wonder what UA originally used for these. This is the "attack" pot by the way.

Trouble is I can't seem to find 25K linear pot with an attached SPDT switch. Yeah, it had to be a SPDT and not a SPST.

So I'm wondering if this is a snipe hunt? Or should I just settle on the obscurely configured alpha and be done with it? Where would you go about searching for a pot like this? I've tried the bay and googling.

Thanks,

Mike

a dual pot with switch would make the switch a DPDT wouldn't it? 25K linear would be hard to find, but you can always parallel 24K+1K with 50K to get the value.

if i'm wrong about the pot switch, why not use it to trigger a relay?

metalb00b00 said:
a dual pot with switch would make the switch a DPDT wouldn't it? 25K linear would be hard to find, but you can always parallel 24K+1K with 50K to get the value.

if i'm wrong about the pot switch, why not use it to trigger a relay?
Yeah, good idea; I had thought of a relay too. I guess some parts are just so esoteric you have to be creative to work around them.

Thanks

I used this pot in many builds in the past and never had a single problem with them:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-24-SPDT-25k-lin.html

They are pretty cheap and have a very nice feel to them.

Since Alphas seem to have a different log curve than the old A&Bs or Ohmites (as do many other modern pots)- I'd always go NOS for a vintage design when the schematics ask for a log pot.

For linear pots I feel much less qualms to use Alphas instead ;)

rainton said:
I used this pot in many builds in the past and never had a single problem with them:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-24-SPDT-25k-lin.html

They are pretty cheap and have a very nice feel to them.

Since Alphas seem to have a different log curve than the old A&Bs or Ohmites (as do many other modern pots)- I'd always go NOS for a vintage design when the schematics ask for a log pot.

For linear pots I feel much less qualms to use Alphas instead ;)
Thanks Rainton! That's one thing that bugs me about a lot of the pots, including high quality AB pots - they don't have a great feel. The alphas, for all their supposed shortcomings, have a wonderful feel on turning.

Back