Solid State G-Pultec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Franklin

Sick of our Pultecs always being different levels making them unusable for stereo applications, I put this together for my studio over the last few weeks. It's the Gyraf G-Pultec filters with the switches and pots wired off-board to accomodate different front panel layout and also because I like the feel of these wafer switches over the plastic 'Lorlin' variety. Solid state make-up is JLM Audio's Dingo kit. What a great, useful kit that is.

Front panel is painted in hammertone paint for vintage vibe. Finished with engraved sub-panels and Davies Molding knobs.

333vpsg.jpg

swpo5h.jpg

Hi John,

I'm not sure what the brand is. In Australia they come from Altronic distributers. http://www.altronics.com.au/p/s3036-2-pole-6-position-wafer-rotary-switch/

Thanks for looking,

Nick.

john12ax7 said:
Looks nice. What switches (make/model) did you use?

I wonder what is the opinion on those open switches versus Lorlin or others.
I think the feel is a bit too hard on the open switches that I have tried but I have never seen any of those fail.

I enjoy the physical resistance of these switches. I've been using them in monitor controllers for 7-8 years. Yet to see one fail.

12afael said:
I wonder what is the opinion on those open switches versus Lorlin or others.
I think the feel is a bit too hard on the open switches that I have tried but I have never seen any of those fail.

Solidstate pultecs are underrated.
I once made one using the in/out sections from the gssl pcb,  it sounded really good!

Great build and nice layout!

I love my stereo solid state Pultec as well.

Also used JLM dingo kit.

Did you use IC? DOA'S? transformers?

Nice idea, i'm building a stereo pultec too, but with one set of controls for both channels. Can you tell me what power transformer you used to power the two pcb's?
greets

Hi!

Because I used JLM Audio Dingo PCB's for the make-up gain (rather than the gyraf tube-based board), I was able to just use a meanwell branded internal switchmode power supply, set to 36V hence giving me +/-18V on the dingos.

If you were intending to use the tube gyraf boards you could try the custom g-pultec power transformet from Don Audio!

Best of luck with your build!

weiss said:
Nice idea, i'm building a stereo pultec too, but with one set of controls for both channels. Can you tell me what power transformer you used to power the two pcb's?
greets

Nick Franklin said:
Hi!

Because I used JLM Audio Dingo PCB's for the make-up gain (rather than the gyraf tube-based board), I was able to just use a meanwell branded internal switchmode power supply, set to 36V hence giving me +/-18V on the dingos.

If you were intending to use the tube gyraf boards you could try the custom g-pultec power transformet from Don Audio!

Best of luck with your build!

ah that makes sense!  ;) thanks man. i'll look into that

Beautiful Build. Looks amazing congrats.

I like the solid state idea for a Pultec, I'm sure the warm, round, fatty, dynamic, velvety and silky type sound is still there.

Latest posts

Back