eagle-7 library for LM2585 or similar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

anyone has eagle-7 library for LM2585 or similar part (not smd)

or anything from eagle library with 5 leg, i can at least edit to make it 2585

TO-263-5 is a standard package; shouldn't it be included with your Eagle default library?
I'm not so sure tho, because I never use Eagle, hehe. I use KiCAD :)

as for any Eagle library with the same package and pinout (LM2577), I found this:
https://www.diymodules.org/eagle-show-library?type=usr&id=2489

https://www.fiverr.com/mochini77/create-you-an-eagle-cadsoft-library-file

the best $5 you'll spend.

Ask him for the data in a library format similar to the Expat Audio library. That'll make sure he puts all the  datasheet links etc into the library. much better than a bare minimum library.

Rochey said:

Ask him for the data in a library format similar to the Expat Audio library. That'll make sure he puts all the  datasheet links etc into the library. much better than a bare minimum library.
does he support older versions of eagle...? I've had to roll my own library for years.

JR

Rochey said:

I'd consider it a waste of money, because it takes less than a minute and everything you need is already there in Eagle. Library ref-packages.lbr, drag TO220-5 into your new library, create a proper symbol for the schematic (or reuse from another voltage regulator), connect the pins and you're done.

Also, the ability to create new parts and footprints and manage a parts library is fundamental to designing pcbs yourself. So I'd rather not pass a simple task on that is an integral part of the process.

Creating parts in Eagle is a critical skill. In fact, I create parts for everything. And I literally mean everything. This allows globally changing things without editing the Eagle libs. I take symbols and packages from the Eagle libs but otherwise I don't use ANY of the Eagle devices. Actually I didn't do resistors and I regret it now because the text is slightly different (I like 0.04/12%/vector). To fix it I would have to replace each resistor in every design.

Unfortunately the documentation and the process itself for creating new Devices/Packages/Symbols isn't terribly good. But the basic process is that you create a symbol, create a package and then create a device, add one or more symbols and then add one or more packages for the device. Then there are tricks to appending pins and such that is important.

Critical tip: To copy another symbol or package, right click on the symbol / package (or search for it in the lib list) to open it, click the Copy icon, then the Group icon, select everything of the symbol / package, right click and select Copy: Group. Then open your custom lib, create a new symbol / package and then Paste.

Definitely worthwhile to learn how to create new libraries in Eagle (assuming Autodesk doesn't drive it into the ground).

Gee I never realized it was so easy or so fulfilling (it is a royal PIA).  :eek:

At some point I will out grow the design rules tied to my old eagle license.  Back 20 years ago the traces and spaces were more than adequately small... now not so small.

JR

thanks for the replies,
i do create my own parts in eagle when needed, but i find it very annoying process,
so, i usually find a packet in eagle and mod it to my needs.

yup, TO220-5 wil work, that what i was looking for  :)

I've made plenty of libraries in my time. In fact, I put together a spec for libraries that I expect the guy on fiverr to work with. (on my home PC, and I'm at work).

My point is, companies all over the world outsource library creation, but they have specifications for the information and the quality of those libraries and the documentation that must go with them).

I don't know about you guys, but if someone can give me back 45 minutes to work on something else, I'll pay them $5. Obviously, the first time I outsourced like that, I was a little dubious, but curious at the same time. These days, it's become a no brainer. I've had multiple boards made and they've all worked, or if they haven't, it's been my error, not the contractors.

So, in summary
- Important to learn how to make your own libraries
- Make them, get boards made with them. You will learn that it's about more than what is on the screen.
- If you decide to outsource, put together a template or example library you want followed.
- If time is scarce (e.g. you have a young family and/or intense job that keeps you on the road 4+ months of the year) consider outsourcing items that you don't bring significant value to.

I'll upload my template a little later.

/R

Latest posts

Back