rj1

Don Audio Inductor Kit
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to wind some inductors for a passive EQ build. 

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the kit's Don-Audio sells:

https://www.don-audio.com/Don-Audio-EF1-Audio-Inductor-DIY-kit

They look to be similar to the cores used in this tutorial:

http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/inductor.html

Of course, I'd be open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Pusch3l

Re: Don Audio Inductor Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 06:49:56 AM »
From what i can say, he uses the same cores and stuff for his inductors. And from my experience they sound pretty good. I got them in my pulteq clones. So they are a good choice and shipping costs are lower than mouser (at least for my location ;))

Greets

rj1

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks!

From what i can say, he uses the same cores and stuff for his inductors. And from my experience they sound pretty good. I got them in my pulteq clones. So they are a good choice and shipping costs are lower than mouser (at least for my location ;))

Greets

hugo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
Awesome!  Thanks!
put them very far to the psu, they seems to attract noise.

rj1

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Hugo!  This will be a completely passive build, so there won't be a PSU anywhere near it.  But, perhaps some mumetal shielding would be beneficial anyway?

put them very far to the psu, they seems to attract noise.

hugo

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 01:37:34 PM »
Thanks Hugo!  This will be a completely passive build, so there won't be a PSU anywhere near it.  But, perhaps some mumetal shielding would be beneficial anyway?

I personnaly armed my passive eqs with carnhill's and vintagewindings'.. I never succeed to obtain a decent noise level with Don-audio inductors. I find them expensive, also..

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:37 PM »
Hugo, do you have an audio analyzer? If so, I'm curious to know if you've noticed any ringing with the vintage winding inductor.  Put the HF boost on full, narrow bandwidth, 16K. Do you see a significant rise above 20 K?

Also, are the freq centers close to spec?

hugo

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 06:43:07 AM »
Hugo, do you have an audio analyzer? If so, I'm curious to know if you've noticed any ringing with the vintage winding inductor.  Put the HF boost on full, narrow bandwidth, 16K. Do you see a significant rise above 20 K?

Also, are the freq centers close to spec?

Hi,
Yes, there is a ringing appearing with VW when measuring, but not so much and units sounds awesome. Vintagewindings is made from pultec original specs, that explained my choice. But for now, after searching and few tests, i will use carnhills inductors on my builds. Price is really good and quality also. IMO, don-audio uses luxuary dress codes for his products, but it is all comercial and when you find the same product in an other place, you can not explain the price difference. Regarding audio parts, i stopped to believe on those DIY brandts, prefering well known regular replacement products.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
I completely agree about the Carnhill inductor. It's the best I've tested for ringing, and center freqencies being more or less correct using the specified capacitors.

ChrioN

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »
IMO, don-audio uses luxuary dress codes for his products, but it is all comercial and when you find the same product in an other place, you can not explain the price difference.

Spot on. Exactly my feeling as well. Its sad...
"All PCB traces are curved to emulate the electrical response of point-to-point wiring" -Drip

rj1

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
Thanks guys!  So, if not Don-Audio, what are some good sources for inductor cores and bobbins?  Remember, I'm looking to wind my own, so Carnhill and Vintagewindings aren't really an option.

Spot on. Exactly my feeling as well. Its sad...