Don Audio Inductor Kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rj1

Hey guys,

I'm looking to wind some inductors for a passive EQ build. 

I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with the kit's Don-Audio sells:

https://www.don-audio.com/Don-Audio-EF1-Audio-Inductor-DIY-kit

They look to be similar to the cores used in this tutorial:

http://www.diygallery.de/DIYsites/inductor.html

Of course, I'd be open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

From what i can say, he uses the same cores and stuff for his inductors. And from my experience they sound pretty good. I got them in my pulteq clones. So they are a good choice and shipping costs are lower than mouser (at least for my location ;))

Greets

Awesome!  Thanks!

Pusch3l said:
From what i can say, he uses the same cores and stuff for his inductors. And from my experience they sound pretty good. I got them in my pulteq clones. So they are a good choice and shipping costs are lower than mouser (at least for my location ;))

Greets

Thanks Hugo!  This will be a completely passive build, so there won't be a PSU anywhere near it.  But, perhaps some mumetal shielding would be beneficial anyway?

hugo said:
put them very far to the psu, they seems to attract noise.

rj1 said:
Thanks Hugo!  This will be a completely passive build, so there won't be a PSU anywhere near it.  But, perhaps some mumetal shielding would be beneficial anyway?

I personnaly armed my passive eqs with carnhill's and vintagewindings'.. I never succeed to obtain a decent noise level with Don-audio inductors. I find them expensive, also..

Hugo, do you have an audio analyzer? If so, I'm curious to know if you've noticed any ringing with the vintage winding inductor.  Put the HF boost on full, narrow bandwidth, 16K. Do you see a significant rise above 20 K?

Also, are the freq centers close to spec?

AusTex64 said:
Hugo, do you have an audio analyzer? If so, I'm curious to know if you've noticed any ringing with the vintage winding inductor.  Put the HF boost on full, narrow bandwidth, 16K. Do you see a significant rise above 20 K?

Also, are the freq centers close to spec?

Hi,
Yes, there is a ringing appearing with VW when measuring, but not so much and units sounds awesome. Vintagewindings is made from pultec original specs, that explained my choice. But for now, after searching and few tests, i will use carnhills inductors on my builds. Price is really good and quality also. IMO, don-audio uses luxuary dress codes for his products, but it is all comercial and when you find the same product in an other place, you can not explain the price difference. Regarding audio parts, i stopped to believe on those DIY brandts, prefering well known regular replacement products.

I completely agree about the Carnhill inductor. It's the best I've tested for ringing, and center freqencies being more or less correct using the specified capacitors.

hugo said:
IMO, don-audio uses luxuary dress codes for his products, but it is all comercial and when you find the same product in an other place, you can not explain the price difference.

Spot on. Exactly my feeling as well. Its sad...

Thanks guys!  So, if not Don-Audio, what are some good sources for inductor cores and bobbins?  Remember, I'm looking to wind my own, so Carnhill and Vintagewindings aren't really an option.

ChrioN said:
Spot on. Exactly my feeling as well. Its sad...

Latest posts

Back