Inductor for Korg MS2000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samgraysound

Hi,

I am fixing a Korg MS2000 synth. It wouldn't turn on. The problem was an SMD dual inductor which is immediately after the 9v input. It is on both + and neutral legs and was shorting them together.

I'd like to replace it but don't know how to identify a replacement. The schematic has it labeled as M522c. The parts list isn't referenced to part numbers from the schematic but has two coils:

C10-FR/33331 22UH(TR)
C8-E/33331 10UH

haven't turned up anything on the google machine or mouser.

Here's the service manual
www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Korg/KORG_MS2000_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf

Picture to follow

How can I get the right replacement?

OR

can I just bypass the inductor? I don't really understand what the point of it is. Is it just to provide a little bit more ripple rejection? Is it an RF thing?

For test, you can strap the holes.

For everyday use, it may or may not radiate excess RF without the coil.

I suspect this is the 22uH dual choke. That, with 0.1uFd, cuts above 100KHz, which is a reasonable point.

It should be rated for more current than the wall-supply, and be similar size.

Having trouble finding a dual SMD inductor of the right dimensions, so I think I will go for one of these through hole ones.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wurth-Electronics/7447462220/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsg%252by3WlYCkU2ZZAkgqljbFc2DUYwfai6U%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Sumida/RCH664NP-220K/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsg%252by3WlYCkU97mm2JTSD4ZkXAC3vy3WPw%3d

The pcb has pads for through hole alternatives I guess. L10 and L12.

you > dual inductor

You have found single inductors. Not the same. At a minimum, you want two. Still not as good. Still may not matter.

do not limit yourself to surface mount,

you can tack down thru hole stuff onto SMD pads, been there done that. if you have room.

Miller used to make a lot of inductors that looks like resistors but were actually fine wire wrapped around a ferrite core,

PRR said:
you > dual inductor

You have found single inductors. Not the same. At a minimum, you want two. Still not as good. Still may not matter.

Yes I know. Couldn't find the righ dual smd, so am getting two single through holes. There is pads for two through hole radial inductors.

Latest posts

Back