U87 body donor + PCB questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaraxisof

Hello everyone,
i will get right to the point: Do you think that the cheap chinese BM 800 could work as body donor for U87 clone? Do you know if Dan's Taper PCB could fit inside? I dont know the exact dimensions of BM 800  maybe someone here have it so can help?
And also, have you ever experienced with ordering prototype PCB from China.? These are too cheap for 10 qt.  with fast delivery. Sites like 3pcb.com, pcbway.com, pcbcrt.com etc.? As i can see material is "FR-4" for all these.
Could this be a quality PCB option alternative for a mic clone built?

Thanks.

Haven't i posted measurements, in my BM800 topic? Either way, the two mounting holes (2.8mm dia) are about 29.2mm apart on my boards, and the boards are about 48.7 x 37mm, with plenty of room to spare (as can be seen in photos).

And regarding PCB makers, i've ordered stuff from Itead Studio and SmartPrototyping. Boards from those are in my modded BM800's and sE2200A's.

PS: Google is your friend ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4

I think this will not work, cause they are to small for the transformer.
I would buy one of the recommend bodies from Dans Site.

... Or if you feel adventurous, you could consider trying out one of those Neutrik NTE10/3 transformers. Granted, they might limit the max undistorted signal you can put through them, but they're really compact, and a mere 10e/pc or so :p

Thank you guys for the replies, appreciate. 
@Khron: i search the thread but cannot find dimensions mentinoed anywhere. only some mm. about the holes...

;)

zaraxisof said:
Thank you guys for the replies, appreciate. 
@Khron: i search the thread but cannot find dimensions mentinoed anywhere. only some mm. about the holes...

Khron said:
Either way, the two mounting holes (2.8mm dia) are about 29.2mm apart on my boards, and the boards are about 48.7 x 37mm, with plenty of room to spare (as can be seen in photos).

RuudNL said:
Are these your personal secrets?  :p
Maybe it is a good idea to share your thoughts with other forum members!  ;D

Rudolph, Rudolph... You are surprising me sometimes :D
And i know that you commented my idea for one circuit with other member via PM - if we talk  about sharing informations via public/PM :p
If you really want to know - then - zaraxisof please paste my PM in the topic, i don't have it anywhere,
I just sent link for donor which can be used without need of any extra PCB. Just don't want to often making advertisements for shops and their products in public forum. Yes i do that very often am sending people informations :p
Curiosity satisfied? ;)

Hey,

if you need cardioid only U87, then here's the best what you can find:
https://www.musicstore.de/en_LV/EUR/Fame-Fame-Studio-C05-Condenser-Microphone/art-REC0008047-000;pgid=gjegwCExoEtSRpzm0YzKzguK0000uX_uXcpT

Body is rather U89 size, but pretty well made. You can easily build U87 circuit with use of original PCB's.
Don't need to spend money for shamncy pancy PCB.
You need just transformer (GZT-87), few components and that's it!
Cpasule is really nice, and always you can upgrade it later.

Cheers

Piotr

If zaraxisof will decide to buy this donor, then i will make some short tutorial - otherwise i don't want to waste my time for another project which wouldn't be build  ;)

If we're talking donors, i still haven't found a cheaper multipattern mic than the Devine BM600 i found at Bax Music :p

Khron said:
If we're talking donors, i still haven't found a cheaper multipattern mic than the Devine BM600 i found at Bax Music :p

I would look on alliexpress, there's the same mike as alctron mc330, but it's pretty pricey (usual more expensive than  in US for example) since Alctron on allie is like a hi-end stuff :D Anyway maybe there's also under other brand and cheaper - cardioid versions are (or were) available.

ln76d said:
If zaraxisof will decide to buy this donor, then i will make some short tutorial - otherwise i don't want to waste my time for another project which wouldn't be build  ;)

I get that perfectly, maybe i will go ahead and buy one

Really worth, if you are from US or any other continent than Europe, then maybe easier would be to buy MXL 2001 (the same microphone you can find under many different brands).
Anyway, musicstore brand Fame have really good quality controll - and their versions are the best i had in my hands.

I'm from Belgium, and i am a regular customer in their actual, real-life store, so it's worth it for me.
Like i said in another thread, i'm planning to build a m49, i guess this one is easier to start with?

Hi,
I finally took the plunge and bought 2 of those fame c05 microphones. They just arrived. They look nice indeed (haven't had the chance to test them out yet).
I included some pictures of the circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 76

Latest posts

Back