Mouser Credit Card billing verification

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudseason

Hi,
I just completed a very long list of components on Mouser, it took a lot of time to sort everything out.
Check, double check and then I press the check out button.
I fill all the needed CC field data and I get the confirmation mail.
So far so good.
Then, a day later I receive from them a mail saying:
"Because you're a new customer, we shall verify your CC data, please send us a copy of your ID".

I have to confess I was really upset by this request. First time in many years and hundreds of items bought on the web.

Well, have all of you, Mouser's clients, sent them a copy of your ID?
Really?

Looking forward to hear from you if it's only me thinking this is a boomer.
For example Farnell doesn't ask for this.
I won't send them that, I would rather pay via bank transfer.

Edit:
we're talking about less than 400 euro, not thousands!

it sounds a little fishy...

Credit card transactions are generally not even handled by mouser personnel. I know I don't for my business.

Never provide confidential info like credit card numbers unless you see the "secure lock" ICON on your web browser.

If an email request sounds funny, while in your email program click on view-message-reveal source  and you can see the actual address that sent the email.

when in doubt call up mouser over a phone number not in the questionable email request..

+=====

I have seen some real looking phishing attempts from businesses I had little reason to question.

whether your credit card is good is pretty much between you and your bank/issuer.  Whether you are you is generally confirmed by providing the extra digits printed on the card to prove you physically have (or have held) the card.

You providing an ID will prove little. but give somebody sensitive information.

Most credit card servicers confirm that you are shipping the order to your credit card address of record.

Trust nobody....

JR 

Never heard of it.  They have the security info already, makes no sense.  I would  contact mouser through a different path and inquire. 

JohnRoberts said:
it sounds a little fishy...

Thanks to all.
well, all data on the received mail sound plausible and the mail looks like sent by Mouser.
The representative  also offered to let me pay via bank transfer as an alternative in case I'm not willing to send my personal info.
Is it also this a fishing attempt?

I've sent Mouser the following to contact them on a different path:

#############################
Hello,
I was asked to send a copy of my ID by one of your representative([email protected]).
As this is a behavior often linked to phishing attempts I would like to receive from you a confirmation that this is not the case.
In parallel I wrote on one of the biggest DIY forums about audio electronic to understand if such a request can be considered as a typical Mouser policy (never ever stumbled into something similar before).
Sending a copy of personal identification all over the internet and letting third party companies keeping a copy of it is neither a good practice nor something I'm willing to do.
Therefore I'm kindly asking you to proceed with the billing and send the items to my address.
You have the CC number, you have the security code, you have my address, you also have my mobile number please use it if you think that a quick call may help in sorting this out.
Are we talking about less than 400 euro, are we?
Looking forward to receiving your feedback soon.

#############################

Let's see what they will reply.
Thanks again for your support guys!

Totally fishy...

Mouser should not ask for your ID...all the info for your CC is generally what they need, unless of course it is over a certain amount I suppose...I mean it wasn't like several thousand dollars of stuff was it?

I'm based in Europe (Italy) and I'm currently dealing with some Mouser Customer Representatives from Munich and Milan.

Here below the reply to my "different path" attempt (I used the contact form on their site)
###########################
Good morning,

thank you for your email. xxx yyy is a Colleague of ours. It is
just a normal procedure with us. Please do as he is asking you to.

If I can be of further help, please get back to me.
Thank you!

Best regards,
###########################

They consider it as "standard" procedure. Eager to read feedback from other clients Europe-based.
I for one will avoid Mouser as long as possible. It has been my worst e-buyer experience since ever.
Unfortunately re-filling and checking my 23 pages list on a different shop is not an option therefore this time I'm going to pay (bank transfer).
For the records what I've bought some days later from Farnell is already on delivery.

Tell them to poke it. As long as they are delivering to the card address there is absolutely no need for them to do any further checks Nobody else does.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Tell them to poke it. As long as they are delivering to the card address there is absolutely no need for them to do any further checks Nobody else does.

Cheers

Ian

thanks Ian,

well, now you know how Mouser (Europe/Munich) behaves.
Eventually I did a bank transfer.

Mouser has a quite complete catalogue (out of some hundred pieces only 3 were out of stock) and an efficient to browse site.
Unfortunately to re-do the BOM on a different site would take a lot of time.
Farnell for example has some limitation:
- you need to have minimum quantities for several of the items I'm looking after
- many are coming from US like some Vishay resistor so you have an extra 18 euros per order.
This is a pity as re. the other stuff they are like any other site: they get your money from the CC and ship it.  I've just got confirmation that they are successfully processing my order.

All in all I'm very sad and disgusted, but I hope to receive the items from Mouser soon, then I'll leave the appropriate comment/feedback  on their site and to whom would ask me an educated opinion on the topic.

Just speculating, but maybe they had orders with stolen credit cards and hitherto unknown shipping address. Or they had breaches in customer accounts? Other than that I can't think of reasons why they'd want to confirm the identity of a new customer. But any specific reason why you don't want to send them a copy? Or use Paypal?

Script said:
Just speculating, but maybe they had orders with stolen credit cards and hitherto unknown shipping address. Or they had breaches in customer accounts? Other than that I can't think of reasons why they'd want to confirm the identity of a new customer. But any specific reason why you don't want to send them a copy? Or use Paypal?

That does not make sense to me. If the cards are stolen then they will either be refused when they apply for payment (which is before they ship) or the credit card company will honour the debt. It is not their problem - it's the credit card company's problem. I have never ever been asked for proof of identity for a credit card no matter how large the order.

Cheers

Ian

As I posted before, credit card servicers usually can confirm that delivery address agrees with order address, BUT when making transactions across country borders some credit card servicers do not have full access to adress and personal data.

Credit card fraud definitely happens so companies respond based on their past experience and tolerance for loss.

JR

PS: Over the years I've experienced funny business from several different countries. No problems from Italy (yet).  8)

JohnRoberts said:
As I posted before, credit card servicers usually can confirm that delivery address agrees with order address, BUT when making transactions across country borders some credit card servicers do not have full access to adress and personal data.

Credit card fraud definitely happens so companies respond based on their past experience and tolerance for loss.

JR

PS: Over the years I've experienced funny business from several different countries. No problems from Italy (yet).  8)

I don't get this. Mouser electronically applies to the credit card company for the funds for the order, giving the address given them by the customer. The credit card co does the address checking not Mouser. If credit card co says it is OK then Mouser get paid. Credit card co takes the risk not Mouser.

Cheers

ian

@Script
Mouser doesn't accept Paypal.
I'm not willing to send anybody (but authorities) a copy of my ID. In addition Mouser disclaimer states that they are not responsible in case it is stolen from their archives.

Just a note about the address
The shipping address is not the one of the CC (it's near, but not exactly the same). However people from Mouser did not mention any issue with the address. I could have better specified it in case this was the issue.
I just found a wall of "our procedure states, this is against frauds, we cannot make exceptions, etc."

In the meanwhile, 160 euro worth material ordered YESTERDAY morning shipped YESTERDAY arrived this AFTERNOON.
Same CC, same me, same shipping address (not the one on the CC), same "first buy as customer".
Different company: Farnell.
From Belgium to Italy.

BTW after I did the bank transfer to Mouser of 396 euro and sent them the transaction details this morning  I've still to get a reply from them.

Mouser is my #1 go to parts supplier.  Orders range from less than $100 to over $2k.  I have paid by company credit card, 2 personal credit cards, and Net 30.  I was NEVER asked for additional ID.
Best,
Bruno2000

Back