Oktava MK-219 vintage capsule dismantled (pics)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS Vienna

Hi,

I´m currently working on a sound concept for an upcoming recordig project where a certain kind of retro-sound is asked for.  My old 1989 Oktava MK219 came to mind to be included in the choice of microphones. It does have a very distinctive retro character - sounds much more "vintage Neumann" than any actual vintage Neumann  :)

Only downside was it´s low-end heaviness. Yesterday I disassembled the capsule to change it´s overall tonal balance to my needs.

I think it´s an interesting original construction so I´d like to share some pictures of it.

Here it is with the presence-boost discs removed:

Attachments

• 219 Kapsel.jpg
    219 Kapsel.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 59
I was surprised to find that the diaphragms are only 4µ thin. Didn´t expect that from the way it sounds.

Here is the capsule dismantled:

Attachments

• MK-219 Kapsel zerlegt.jpg
    MK-219 Kapsel zerlegt.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 66
Just to let you know (again) that I always enjoy your topics.  :)

Oh, I had an MK219, back in the nineties.
Traded it for a Rode NT1.  :eek:
I've aged since then ...

Just out of sheer curiosity, how did you (manage to) determine the diaphragm is precisely 4um, and not 3, or 6, or any other value? :)

I simply measured the diaphragm while it was detached. Probably the only way to get a precise result.
That´s the only capsule with 4µ diaphragms I´ve ever encountered (and measured). Very unusual.

I actually have one of these mics I bought from guitar center in the 90's. They were selling them for something like $300 and saying they were the Russian equivalent to the U87. The reason they were so cheap was the company was going out of business or something like that...I don't remember exactly what the reason was, but also that guitar center was able to swoop on the remaining units or something. I used It for an acoustic project I did and it never really blew me away, it was OK. I used it on drum overheads as well along with a realistic PZM mic if you can believe that. I still have it, but it's in a buddy's possession at the moment.

What are you planning on doing with this thing? I wasn't really sure about mine, but Michael Jolly I think his name is, said with some modding it sounds like a FET 67...I don't know, haven't tried it...isn't that what a U87 is anyway? haha!! 

I bought it from a guy in Moscow a few years ago for about 120Euros. I thought it would be kind of a cool FX-unit.
I did some research before buying and inevitably found lots of stuff about modding it. Also Michael Joly´s site. Given that this mic has hardly anything in common with any actual Neumann I really don´t see the point in trying to make it sound like one.
There seem to be some revisions of this model around. Mine is the only one I´ve ever experienced and I like it for what it is. BTW, I was deeply impressed with the craftmanship - never could imagine that a microphone could be made that crappy!

In first test recording I used a stock Neumann UM57 for the vocal. It has plenty of character and vibe but still was a bit too clean and natural in this case. There´s a fair chance that this Oktava nails it.

Khron said:
Just out of sheer curiosity, how did you (manage to) determine the diaphragm is precisely 4um, and not 3, or 6, or any other value? :)

It just came to me that you probably were curios about the measuring device itself.  I use this one, old but good - shown here with a 6µ C414 diaphragm:

Attachments

• Messgerät 1µ Skala.jpg
    Messgerät 1µ Skala.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 68
That makes a lot more sense :D I kinda figured you couldn't have used calipers or a micrometer, without totally squishing the diaphragm ;)

MS Vienna said:
It just came to me that you probably were curios about the measuring device itself.  I use this one, old but good - shown here with a 6µ C414 diaphragm:

MS Vienna -  thanks for another great topic (as always)!!! ;)

Probably if you would take same model from a different production period, there would be some differences like different diaphragm thickness etc. Oktava don't have any standards and from the soviet era to current days, they make everything like "we will use what we have". This is especially visible in the electronic circuits. "Matched pair" of MK12 can have completely different values of important components in the circuit.
Still capsules are really nice, not ideal (in fact there is no something like ideal capsule) but the circuits need strong modification or just new circuit. I prefer these capsules alo inside different microphone bodies, and probably we all know why ;)
If i remember correctly, jolly don't make anything more than Dorsey mod and this circuit can be modified in more effective way.

Back