Neve 1974 routing module questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim-analog

Greetings,

I'm trying to find any information about the Neve 1974 routing module. What series of consoles it was used in, when were they made,  and most importantly any documentation (schematics, internal wiring,  hook up info, etc.).

It seems to be for a 4 bus configuration; selections are A, B, C, D. Each has a corresponding level pot and 3 position switch. Inside are 2 x LI 31267 line input transformers and an LO 2567 output. There are two B313 cards; the front holds two BA340 DOAs and the rear a single BA340 to drive the output TX. There are 2 connectors on the rear panel.

Lastly, are these of any value beyond that of the internal parts? I was considering building up some line or mic amps (with appropriate input TX of course) unless they are of use to someone doing a console restoration.

Photos can be found here:

https://analogbros.com/pictures/Neve-1974/

Thanks very much for any info; I've searched quite a bit with no luck.

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim, very similar modules were installed in a couple of mono broadcast desks I used years ago (pre 1986).
They are mono routing modules that send to four mono groups and four auxes.
The push buttons route to groups A,B,C and D.
The pots route to auxes 1-4. The 3 way switches are aux routing -pre/off/post fader.
On the modules I used, aux 4 had four possible destinations controlled by the group routing buttons, so effectively giving you four outputs (aux 4A, aux 4B, aux 4c and aux 4D) but not all available together.
I think the only value in your modules is in the transformers and amp modules but I suppose they could be used in pairs to add 'colour' to a signal. Shame that they aren't the classic 2N3055 class A amplifier modules though.

Ian Bell aka Ruffrecords would be the best man to ask , he was a former employee ,and is very knowledgeable about all things Neve.

Tubetec said:
Ian Bell aka Ruffrecords would be the best man to ask , he was a former employee ,and is very knowledgeable about all things Neve.

It is not one I am familiar with. It looks like a 50mm wide module so it is probably from the 70s. At this time Neve was moving over to 35mm wide modules and most broadcast consoles used that width modules for compactness rather than the 50mm ones. WHen I joined, they were finishing a big run of consoles for the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) so it might be from one of those. I will contact the Neve old boys network and ask there if anyone recognises it.

Cheers

Ian

I have some more info from an old friend at Neve, John T.

This switching unit was actually designed in 1974 for a series of 7 consoles for the South African Broadcasting Corporation (A3043 to A3049).  Some of those consoles had to have the silk screening done in Africaans. This was a rather sensitive sale for Neve at that time in the life of South Africa.

These switching units were only made for the SABC consoles which formed a very large order for Neve at the time.
I know that modules from these consoles have appeared at various times as I’ve been asked for information about them.

The unusual switch knobs were designed by Derek Stoddard and first used on consoles for Thames Television where the sound consoles operated in reduced lighting and so those knobs were easy for the operators to locate easily.

Interestingly, today some of these units along with some 1081’s have been fitted into the AIR Montserrat console A4792 now residing at Sub Sound Studios in Toronto,.

Size        DL1                      D= Height = 8.75” : L = Depth = 10.0” : 1 = 1off 45 series panel width.
Front Panel                        ML60867
Block Diagram                    EB20077
Circuit Diagram                  ES10131
Rear Connectors                2 * 18way
Console A number            A3043-49
Customer                          SABC TV

And here is a link to the info he has (schematic plus description):

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN-J9isjSyYAbgtewZPAHwD5S8V4Etv1lr0z2cbbiOjy2aIOCkgRjQojPeOiJUsTQ?key=ckNoV0g0S1FTQUpwQVRfdS10Mm1ST2tNVW1xOFl3

Cheers

Ian

Greetings,

Thank you VERY much to all who responded. I guess the reason I was unable to find info was due to the quite limited manufacture/distribution of these units. The prints are really great to have, thanks again!

Seems there isn't going to be much use for these in any existing console, so perhaps a cannibalization of parts to build up some mic or  line amps may be the best use. IF anyone does have a need for these in stock condition, please advise and we can probably work something out. I think I have between 5-8 of them.

You guys ROCK!

Regards, Jim

Back