Atlantic Phonic Shaper Mastering EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
purchased mine when introducing. I purchased 2 units for dual mono (stereo) operation. Really easy to assemble (I have experienced a lot of build before but this build is easy, there is a build video on youtube if needed).
I compared the units with my dangerous bax eq. Seems just really comparable in quality and I would use them in mastering without worries. The bax eq has just the recall pot which is convenient to find his settings... but really possible with the shaper. Also good option to add low punch to drums or low and high on a vocal (now, I insert mine when vocal tracking with good results ; replace my old maag EQ for that). Luc

SKJGProject said:
due to his bad reputation here in the forum...
anyone tried the Atlantic Phonic® Shaper™ Mastering EQ?

looks like some simple bax design...is it also a stolen design?
opinions? price is good

https://micandmod.com/hardware-kits/96-atlantic-phonic-shaper-mastering-eq-diy-kit.html

I had my first encounter with Yannick Closset  some years ago. He contacted me with pictures of microhone PCB designs from other DIYers, with names crossed out on the pictures of the PCBs, asking me to copy them for him. I didnt know the designs, since I wasn't into mic building, but I declined.

Currently, he is selling a design I did,  and he has come so far,  he didn't even bother to cross out the name on the picture of the PCB in the shop.

I dont know if the particular design mentioned here was stolen - I dont think it matters if it was.

Gustav

Attachments

• asdf.gif
    asdf.gif
    510.1 KB · Views: 223
[silent:arts] said:
I got an email from Mic & Mod today, titled:
About your GroupDIY Post - copy to Mr LONE (European lawyer)

I got one too!

We have recently been bought out by a French group who takes the company in a few weeks.
They have a dedicated legal department who will not fail to fulfill his duty in case of need.

I wonder what the case of need will be - suing me for posting a screenshot of his site selling a board layout he stole from me with my company name still on it? It might be a good idea to spread that screenshot across the web to make sure it doesnt get lost before the trial.

Anyways...want to grab a drink after the court meeting?

Gustav

Gustav said:
I got one too!

We have recently been bought out by a French group who takes the company in a few weeks.
They have a dedicated legal department who will not fail to fulfill his duty in case of need.

I wonder what the case of need will be - suing me for posting a screenshot of his site selling a board layout he stole from me with my company name still on it? It might be a good idea to spread that screenshot across the web to make sure it doesnt get lost before the trial.

Gustav

Hi Gustav, be careful with them ; i know that groupdiy member has already received letter from their lawyer (about the ioaudio topic in the passed I think). I think they were french and have procedures now in the last news. Dont know if person outside france may have problems. But maybe in europe yes, it's possible  :eek:

Gustav said:
I got one too!

Gustav

Again.... ::)

melomane said:
Hi Gustav, please be careful with them ; i know that groupdiy member has already received letter from their lawyer (about the ioaudio topic in the passed I think). I think they were french and have procedures now in the last news. Dont know if person outside france may have problems. But maybe in europe yes, it's possible  :eek:

I think Gustav is safe...
I receive "lawyer" letter time ago, nothing going further so far, look more like intimidation.

Best
Zam

melomane said:
Hi Gustav, be careful with them ; i know that groupdiy member has already received letter from their lawyer (about the ioaudio topic in the passed I think). I think they were french and have procedures now in the last news. Dont know if person outside france may have problems. But maybe in europe yes, it's possible  :eek:

If the legal system would penalise me for posting a picture from a website selling a design copied from me, even using a picture of my product with my company name on it,  we would have much bigger problems than these childish games.

It is a waste of time and breath, though - So I will leave it be.

Gustav

[silent:arts] said:
I got an email from Mic & Mod today, titled:
About your GroupDIY Post - copy to Mr LONE (European lawyer)

Now i'm curious about what's in your first post before editing  8)

Best
Zam

SKJGProject said:
due to his bad reputation here in the forum...

opinions? price is good

https://micandmod.com/hardware-kits/96-atlantic-phonic-shaper-mastering-eq-diy-kit.html

I believe the company's attitude speaks for itself, also given the facts with unauthorized copies of Gustav's work.

Also just looking at the audio facts doesn't make it appear particularly attractive. If it is supposed to be a mastering eq I'd expect switched gain in reasonable steps for good L/R accuracy, racall-ability and repeat-ability. I'd probably also expect more than 2 frequency choices. There are lots of bax designs around, also on this forum - for example the studer eq. Gustav has some designs with switched gain as well if I remember right. I'm not saying that the kit is a bad eq - it should probably sound ok - but I don't see why it is labeled as a mastering eq. 400€ for such a kit as 'stereo' (actually dual-mono) version does not look like a bargain to me, there are no particularly expensive parts like I/O transformers. The only plus I see is that it is a complete kit which might make it more accessible for not so experienced DIY-people. To put the price into perspective I just took a look at Gustav's site and the https://pcbgrinder.com/MSPQ-PQ76-PQ caught my eye: a stereo MS Pultec version, the kit price is 300 €. I'd be more interested in stuff like that for a mastering eq. Still no gain switches though, but MS is less critical on that. Also 100 bucks less might allow to buy some switches. Sometimes very good switches can be found on ebay for really good prices...

Michael

https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=106 - Stereo Pultec with gain switches, 330 € for the kit, but needs I/O transformer and probably more stuff (tubes?), so it will be more in the end.

Michael

Michael Tibes said:
https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=106 - Stereo Pultec with gain switches, 330 € for the kit, but needs I/O transformer and probably more stuff (tubes?), so it will be more in the end.

Michael

Thanks so much for the kind words, Michael. You just happened to link to the one Yannick copied from me here, but I think the difference in quality and/or price doesn't really matter  - what matters is, I am far from the only person who has had a PCB designor just work done in general copied 1:1 without permission from him.

Its frustrating, and I dont care if the EQ mentioned here is a sonic revelation or a piece of sh*t. I think the posted question answers itself somehow

"due to his bad reputation here in the forum...

opinions? price is good"

I mean "Is this also stolen?" Who cares?

Dont support someone, if  you have to ask wether he stole the particular goods you are interested in, because you suspect theres a good chance he did, based on his general behaviour and reputation.

I know for a fact, some things are being kept off the DIY scene because of this guy. No matter what commercial interests have been at play, designs were still shared for self etch, and schematics were made available.

Gustav

Latest posts

Back