USB-C(thunderbolt 3) with USB soundcard

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

i need to get pretty decent laptop for my work.
new mac laptops has 4 x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1, DisplayPort)
so i would need to use a hub/adaptor for my ilok, and couple other USB dongles, and
USB sound card.
anyone has experience, using USB soundcard (ie: 2i2, or UR44) with new macbook pros with cubase!

In general, stuff mostly works. Firewire or USB. Not all hubs work for audio, so you'll have to try as every case is different. In general, Apple's direct one purpose adapters always work.

Drivers can be a problem with Sierra, so check with your manufacturer's site. Do you have the UR22 or the UR22 MkII?

The Focusrite 2i2 works with recent USB-C equipped Macs.

My RME works as it should with a USB-C to Firewire adapter. But that's not USB...

John Cook from Jazz Audio in Australia recently even released a Sierra firmware loader for the "vintage" Emagic A26 and A62. Go figure :D

High Sierra might be a problem for some drivers, as it will no longer allow 3rd party kernel extensions. That means lots of old gear will stop working. I'm stocking up some old Macs :D

i have 3 mac laptops.... G4 - early  intel (i think its 2005) - and 2011
they all work, and they all some cool softwares... 2005 mac also has
windows 98 boot with a lot of goodies. ie: tube calculator etc
i also one PC laptop with windows 95! it has very first version of Cubase (MIDI only)!

looks like i might have wait for a bit more to be sure of things...
may be i add windows 7/10 boot for avoiding some problems, more google :(

I'm pretty sure that G4 isn't Intel, but PowerPC. PPC, still used and developed by IBM.  8)

I have a couple of those too. The Powerbook G4 works fine. I've recorder 16 channels with it, fi. I have a desktop G4 that's configged for SCSI disks and stuff from that era. For the rare case I need to recover data from SCSI disks.

And I use a desktop G5 with REAPER from time to time. It's also my BSD test setup.

kambo said:
i need to get pretty decent laptop for my work.
new mac laptops has 4 x USB-C (Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1, DisplayPort)
so i would need to use a hub/adaptor for my ilok, and couple other USB dongles, and
USB sound card.
anyone has experience, using USB soundcard (ie: 2i2, or UR44) with new macbook pros with cubase!

I don't use Cubase (all Logic here) but a brand-new 15" MacBook Pro with the four Thunderbolt 3 ports showed up today, and I will try it out with the various USB audio things I have.

There are several ways of going from Thunderbolt 3 to USB. After work, I'm getting a small USB-C hub which has two USB 3.1 host ports, Ethernet and HDMI out. There are adapters from USB-C to USB-B (the original standard square device side plug), USB-C to USB-A (the flat host-side jack) and what-not. There are also TB3-to-TB2 dongles.

Yeah, I need adapters, but you can't fight the future, I guess.

Andy Peters said:
brand-new 15" MacBook Pro with the four Thunderbolt 3 ports showed up today, and I will try it out with the various USB audio things I have.

any luck trying out

Latest posts

Back