• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

NOT FS: Some UTC A-19's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

Well some not-so-great news. Seller shipped the transformers in a tiny little box with literally no padding on top or bottom, with transformers crammed in with only a couple token wads of newspaper in-between them. Only 4 were sent, and not 5. There was a UTC box filled with coins (!) in place of the fifth transformer.  ??? :eek:

Some were silver dimes and a buffalo nickel. Bizarre. I'll post a couple pix when I can.

Anyway I've requested a refund. I don't know that I will get it for sure, but I believe I will since the seller did not ship all 5 items, nor were they packed properly. Listing said "Seller does not accept returns." Makes me nervous. I would NEVER (!) ship out the way this person did!!!

If for some bizarre reason I end up having to keep these, I will make some available again. But I have to apologize because I did not expect it to go this way. I will PM individuals to let you guys know. So sorry.

I'll keep this thread updated at the top for details.

I feel I must be honest - I see a pair of A19 on the bay right now, although who knows their reserve value or how high the auction will go. Feel free to bid and if you win of course you can take your name off my list. Hope they don't go up too high for y'all.

I'll keep this thread up-to-date.

Received interest now from three:

#1. core13 for one with metal stamped plate, a gray one will be available
#2.  mro For one
#3. Hugo for one (PM request)

All spoken for but please express interest if you want one - deals go south sometimes. Please read this whole post first before expressing interest.

I just bought five UTC A-19's in an eBay auction. I need two, and I will have 3 to sell. Asking $250/each plus shipping, and I will pay the PayPal fees.

I won't have them for a week or so, but if interested respond here or PM me. They look to be in good shape.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0956.JPG
    IMG_0956.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
Super - I'll post back in this thread when I receive them, and since you're the first to respond, you get first dibs on a pair. That means I will have 1 left for someone else if your sale works out.

If anyone else wants one, post back in this thread and I'll put you on the list - first come first serve.

Thanks,

Mike

I didn't realize these would be so popular. I kept the price close to what I paid because I think it stinks when people gouge others just because something is rare.

In any case, I will contact those on the list when I receive items to get details, and if for some reason a sale doesn't go through there will be room for someone else, so please post interest here in case something opens up.

Thanks - expect it to be at least a week before I post again because I have to wait until I receive the items first before proceeding.

Mike

mro said:
If still available, I'd  be interested in one
I put you on the list - you will be first alternate if a deal doesn't happen. Thanks for interest. Hope it works out for everyone.

omg i used to get these for less than $100 just a year ago

looks like the fashion diy clones trend is driving the prices crazy like with the A-24 & all the LA-2A iron

p.s. not trying to spit on anybody's work, just genuinely fancied hijacking the thread :) maybe someone will redeem themselves and we can keep the diy spirit at democratic prices ;)

It is pretty amazing.  All that better UTC HA and LS iron selling cheaper than A series on a regular basis.  Not that any of it will fit on a little 'ole UA repro chassis. 

beatnik said:
omg i used to get these for less than $100 just a year ago

looks like the fashion diy clones trend is driving the prices crazy like with the A-24 & all the LA-2A iron

p.s. not trying to spit on anybody's work, just genuinely fancied hijacking the thread :) maybe someone will redeem themselves and we can keep the diy spirit at democratic prices ;)
I couldn't even find them at all - believe me the price I'm asking is commensurate with what I paid. If I wanted to make a boatload I'd put them back on the bay one at a time, and tout them as NOS NIB pristine rolled on the thighs of virgins. But I took a huge hit to buy 5 of them.

So yeah, I'm with you, I hate getting gouged and I hope people don't think I am doing that - I am not. But maybe I got gouged.

See, if nobody had bid it up...

Anyway, as a side note, Steve at Apex Jr. has some great prices on things like transformers, including I just bought a UTC O-1 for $49.95. He's a cool guy.

Mike

sorry dude even though i hijacked your thread my comment was not personal, I know exactly how much you paid for these transformers since everybody can see an ebay listing and in any case for me you can ask the price you want

my comment was on a broad level, this case is the same with all the la-2a stuff and other things popping up here on the market and on ebay. mine it's just an observation on how sometimes diy spirit gets a bit too fashioney and this drives prices a bit over reasonable level. what emmr said further explains how these decision are not particularly based on sound qualities

in any event, since we live in a free world and the price meets the demand, you and anybody else can ask as much as you like for the transformers, as long as there is someone willing to pay for it. i had posted on your thread because I saw you already sold your transformers without any problem, otherwise I wouldn't have disturbed your business, now i go back to my cave

beatnik said:
sorry dude even though i hijacked your thread my comment was not personal, I know exactly how much you paid for these transformers since everybody can see an ebay listing and in any case for me you can ask the price you want

my comment was on a broad level, this case is the same with all the la-2a stuff and other things popping up here on the market and on ebay. mine it's just an observation on how sometimes diy spirit gets a bit too fashioney and this drives prices a bit over reasonable level. what emmr said further explains how these decision are not particularly based on sound qualities

in any event, since we live in a free world and the price meets the demand, you and anybody else can ask as much as you like for the transformers, as long as there is someone willing to pay for it. i had posted on your thread because I saw you already sold your transformers without any problem, otherwise I wouldn't have disturbed your business, now i go back to my cave
No problem man. I did front over $1000 bucks and took a risk they might not sell at all - I only needed 2. I'm not here to gouge. I got a response in a few minutes and have waiting list even with PMs, so apparently the price is not ridiculous. I would have paid $350 apiece for them myself if I had to.

In any case, I spent $350 EACH for a UTC HA100X just a month ago, and that's what those go for these days. It's sad but the rare items become harder to obtain.

Thanks please don't go in your cave I welcome your honest thoughts.

Mike

but i love my cave it's full of decently priced rare parts :)

best of luck with your builds

beatnik said:
but i love my cave it's full of decently priced rare parts :)

best of luck with your builds
Well I hear you man. Sounds like you feel I'm overcharging or taking advantage of people - if so, I don't feel that way. Should I take all that risk and sell them for exactly what I paid for? I have bought transformers lately for as much as $350 for builds.

I hate the high price of things, but I feel I'm offering for a fair price - I literally could have asked for a lot more and gotten it - these pre-sold out in minutes. And a couple are NIB. Another thread here in the Black market is offering A18's for the same price. By a longtime reputable member.

Anyway, to each his own - I hear the hard feelings but I also know in my heart I am being fair. I didn't pay $2 for these! I paid almost the same as I'm selling them for. Well you know. Am I being fair? If you can buy one of these for $100 somewhere NOW - not a year ago -  do it! I would be very interested to see if you then sold them for $100 as well... ;)

Also, here's what I do when I feel someone is overcharging or something is too expensive: I don't buy it!

Someone was selling a pair of O-12s with O-17 cans here, recently, for $600. Did you happen to see that? I didn't buy them.

Then I found them at Steve Apex Jr. for $49.95/ea. I overbought, and am selling the extra here for $59.95. Why? I drove for 90 mins to get the thing. My time is valuable too. In my thread I pointed people to Steve first - you'll find it right on my thread.

I almost get the feeling you may not be aware of how much the vintage transformers are going for now...

Best to you, and your cave. My cat Peaches says hello. :)

Seriously no hard feelings man. I hear you.

Mike, again i wasn't trying to criticize you personally or accuse you of gouging and i didn't have any hard feelings with you or any other human being personally

I just thought you have paid too much for these transformers in the first place, and as a consequence your asking price was on the high side too

I am perfectly aware how much this utc stuff goes for these days and how much it used to go for just a little while ago. I don't speak about things i don't know

I could have made the same kind of comment to dozens of other listings on the forum and on ebay, sorry if I have chosen your thread to vent out my frustration, but again i have made the comments once i saw you got the stuff sold, I didn't want to interfere with your business

all the best

As well, I'm amazed at price inflation, and it isn't you, it's the market.     

Assuming it's my A-18 you refer to for sale, it came off an RCA amplifier and the original RCA transformer cost me....wait for it....$300.  So it's not quite a lateral to get the right transformer back on the RCA amp, and seems right by the market. And they won't get cheaper over time!

I remember buying lots of eight A-10's for $200, A-20's and Triad HS-56's for $10, Triad HS-50's for $25, complete RCA and Langevin preamps for $100/ea, tube limiters for $300....those days are ancient history. 

beatnik said:
Mike, again i wasn't trying to criticize you personally or accuse you of gouging and i didn't have any hard feelings with you or any other human being personally

I just thought you have paid too much for these transformers in the first place, and as a consequence your asking price was on the high side too

I am perfectly aware how much this utc stuff goes for these days and how much it used to go for just a little while ago. I don't speak about things i don't know

I could have made the same kind of comment to dozens of other listings on the forum and on ebay, sorry if I have chosen your thread to vent out my frustration, but again i have made the comments once i saw you got the stuff sold, I didn't want to interfere with your business

all the best
I totally get what you're saying man - we're cool. Thanks for clarifying.

I agree - I did "overpay" - but then, I'm not sure I would have found them for a better price in the future.

Thanks again man - seriously cool you posted back.

Best to you and your builds!

Mike

emrr said:
As well, I'm amazed at price inflation, and it isn't you, it's the market.     

Assuming it's my A-18 you refer to for sale, it came off an RCA amplifier and the original RCA transformer cost me....wait for it....$300.  So it's not quite a lateral to get the right transformer back on the RCA amp, and seems right by the market. And they won't get cheaper over time!

I remember buying lots of eight A-10's for $200, A-20's and Triad HS-56's for $10, Triad HS-50's for $25, complete RCA and Langevin preamps for $100/ea, tube limiters for $300....those days are ancient history.
Hey Doug thanks man for the insight. Yes I was referring to your post, but I hope not in an offensive way.

These things have just gone up. And like you say, they aren't going to be getting any cheaper.

Wish I was back in the '90s and I'd buy a few VF14M tubes, and a boatload of UTC's, and Davens and Langevins. Who knew vintage was the next gold mine? Sigh.

I probably should not be selling these A19's - wait another couple years and they rise even more.

But like Beatnik posted...I just sort of hate this whole price game.

Thanks again, and I learn a lot from your threads!!!

Mike

That price gets you into new production kit... I can appreciate the romance of yore but the older me that values time more than before likes the reliability of a not abused new production/available piece.

Chill out guys or you'll burn yourself with those soldering irons :)
In that case beatnik you should be proud of yourself that you just bought your UTC tranny from Hugo for Euro 100 on ebay today :)
If you're guys not patient enough to buy a UTC for what you'd consider a fair price buy a 1133E from Sowter. They're always available for £106.82, aren't they?
For some reason I have the impression that all of that fuzz is not about sonic qualities.
To demonstrate this:
There's a simple little task for all of you sound engineers and pro sound enthusiasts
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality
If you'll have 100% good answers tap yourself in the shoulder and go for a UTC hunt. ;)
If not IMHO you want a A19 for non sonic reasons, which is absolutely fine with me.
All of that is just a simplification of the subject, but I hope you get my point and take no offence.
Kind of sad as the DIY group was the final frontier...

Latest posts

Back