• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

No Longer Available NOS TRW O-12 NIB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrazemaster

I overbought on O-12's so I'm selling one NOS O-12, TRW branded, for $49.95 plus PayPal/shipping. It's never been used and has two screws mounting hardware.

Can also get from Steve at Apex Jr., also for $49.95.

http://www.apexjr.com

Mike

kosi said:
You don't have by accident overbought on O17, too ?
I found these on eBay for $79 for a pair. I think it's way too high. So no, I didn't overbuy these guys, but they are going for a lot right now. They are just empty cans!!!

Sounds good. But do you think anyone would take it on? I mean, capitalism...if they are cheap, who's gonna do it?

Sigh. I seriously hate capitalism. But I'm part of the game too.

i will have a look into this as need a handful for my projects, if there is a viable solution obviously affordable i will set up a group buy

have just sent Sowter an email, maybe they can do this. will keep you posted

Hi,

You can U-metal on a sheet, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMI-Shielding-Metal-Ultraperm-80-10-5-x-8-MuMetal-Mu-Metal-Audio-Shield-USA-/152123156893?hash=item236b3f299d:m:mcHCh7H86xp_3ERlxzZeB0A

A bit DIY and done, if you don' t want to stick it strait on, use some paper in between, or old fashion fish paper.

djn

a bit diy and done ?
how do you cut it, how do you roll it, how do you solder it ?
I'd have a problem, if I had to make it from paper 8)

mjrippe said:
If I understand correctly, bending and machining mu-metal can cause it to lose it's desirable properties.  You may need to anneal it afterwards?
From what I've read, you're right! I would wonder if it had any permeability left after DIY torturing it.

Also I didn't see a DB reduction rating for this sheet. The originals were something like -20BD reduction rating. It also sounds like it's a very thin sheet. Not sure it's going to be as thick as the original.

I hate the unobtanium and high prices of the originals but it sure is nice to have the right part.

But then again, that isn't exactly DIY is it?

Hi,

Kosi, did you check the link ?

If you checked the link, it is self adhesive.

So take you transformer, any transformer for that matter.

Make a nice snug fit paper surrounding,  and stick the self adhesive MU metal on it.

So a little bit DIY, no soldering involved.

Sheep an usable on any transformer, it's like the stuff Don-audio sells for transformers. The same as a lot of manufactures do in there commercial products.

And cutting, any metal cutters wil do.

DJN

beatnik said:
what about a group buy for making some reproduction o-17 cans ?

Hmm...
Am using original O17 on some O12 and O2, but to be honest it didn't make any difference in use.
I also use unshieldedversion of O12 -> P12- also no difference ;)
Maybe i just have a luck :D

I believe you actually might be in a place without any particularly bad interference, or in your device the input transformer is spaced enough from power transformer and any other source of interference.

i have recently moved to a new workspace and there is the London overground train line passing just 10 meters away. i get all sorts of noises, especially when i play electric guitar, i can hear 30 sec earlier when the train is coming, probably some arcing on the power lines is being captured by guitar pickups, but sometimes it leaks into my monitors as well.

i am sure utc designed this magnetic shield for a reason, but maybe back then there was a different environment in terms of interferences ?

these are just my personal speculations and aren't really supported by a full understanding of the subject, would be great to hear an opinion from someone more expert

Hmm... Ok, of course i agree with a influence of external sources of problems, but this is funny in my case :D
I used my equipment in many different places and now my studio is placed at the train tracks :D :D :D (ten tracks or more)

Hi,

Don't forget, we use a lot of this stuff in a studio, but a lot of it  was used and designed for a Radio/broadcast environment, with the AM or FM transmitter sometimes close by. In that case you have to shield everything extra careful.

DJN

Latest posts

Back