6C10 triple triode

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electronaut

I just discovered this tube in a Fender Superchamp. I never even knew it existed! Three triodes in one bottle!

Does anyone have a datasheet for this tube? I can't seem to find it anywhere. For some reason I find data on other tubes with the same name that were only 8 pins, etc.

Has anyone here ever designed any audio circuits around it?

E.

I've never even seen a 12-pin tube! :oops:

Try this:

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6C10

The link lists 6BK11 as a substitute. Duncan Amps TDSL says CV9834 is the same tube as well.

Peace,
Al.

This thing made me curious, so I poked around on the net and found people use 6K11 and 6Q11 as substitutes as well...

Apparently Ampeg used 6BK11 in a couple of amps, and people substtute them with 6C10, 6K11 or 6Q11 because the original tube is getting hard to get.

I looked for a bit, but I can't find plate curves for any one of these tubes. If someone does, please post them!

Peace,
Al.

You guys never heard of a triple compactron? Geez...

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/127/6/6C10.pdf

The 6C10 is equivalent to (3) 12AX7. There was another compactron (I don't recall the number) that was equivalent to (2) 12AX7 and (1) 12AU7. That would have made a great little one-bottle preamp.

I wouldn't bother to design anything with compactrons now, because they're not made anymore, they were never very common to begin with, and they're hard to find now.

> You guys never heard of a triple compactron? Geez...

Kids. They never had to wait for a TV to warm up, and never Touched That Dial. Or if they did, they never broke the interlock to play with the tubes.

> I can't find plate curves for any one of these tubes.

They ARE the standard dual-tubes, except triples. I think there is also a dual pentode in the line.

If it says Mu=100, then it IS a 6SC7 AKA 12AX7. The changes in the Mu=100 triode from 1938 to 1968 are less than the differences in 12AX7s from different factories in the same era.

By this point in the game, nobody was designing really-new tubes any more. The writing was on the wall. But until transistors killed their business, the tube makers did re-package the same old designs to shave a few pennies off the total cost of a TV. In MASS production, saving a few pins means the difference between profit and loss (more like, in the tube-TV racket: stay in break-even business another year or go broke now).

Latest posts

Back