Fabio 312 finished... no pics yet... but a little sample !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neeno

Hi people ! Are you looking for pics ?
Sorry no pics at the moment... my first 312 pre is in a prototype like case at the moment... maybe the next week i'll finish the metal work...

I started testing the preamp an hour ago... my father was finishing a repair on an old economic acoustc guitar, and he told me to tune and try it just to look if everything was done right...

I placed a mic in front of me and i recorded this little sample... ouch, it's played really bad... sorry for that, but i know you'll listen to the sound, i'm a poor guitar player :cry:

The 312 is stuffed with a melcor 1731, Cinemag 75101APC and Profile 4804... just used some "Waves" compression and a little of "Trueverb" on the "solo" guitar... no eq at all and no master here...

Please let me know what you think about it compared to your 312's !

Here is the file: www.studio21.ch/diy/nino/312+1731+75101+4804_sample_1.mp3

The file is encoded in mp3 @ 320k 48Khz, if you want i can send you the wav file that is around 6Mb... just pm me...

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeno

P.P.S.: sorry for my bad english too... :roll:

sounds nice but hard to evaluate without knowing what kind of mic you used. do you remember what kind of mic you had set up?

dave

My KM84 are in the studio right now... i choosed to use a pencil mic, i have here a KSM109 and a chinese mic, similar to a MXL993, but a little modified... looking at the shitty guitar i choosed the MXL-like... dunno why... :?

[quote author="asm"]damn, that sounds really nice. nice playing too! :thumb:

how hard was the melcor 1731 to stuff? did you just do 1ch of the 312?

t[/quote]

Thank you asm... i think i'll love the sound of this preamp... but i think i have to test it on some instruments/voices before tell my opinion about it...

The melcows are easy to stuff, more than 2520's...
I just finished the first channel, and i'm stuffing other 3 channels... but i think i'll order 4-8 more 312 pcb's from fabio as soon as possible... :grin:

Hi Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeno

I really like the sound of that mp3 - you have a good feel in your playing :thumb:

What converters did you use for the recording?

Can you explain the numbers in the mp3 title?? I know the 312 but 1731, 75101?? and the rest of the signal chain (Sorry I'm a newbee :roll: )??

How did you have the Cinemag strapped? (it can do 150 or 600 IIRC.)

Bear

[quote author="Hulk"]

Can you explain the numbers in the mp3 title?? I know the 312 but 1731, 75101?? and the rest of the signal chain (Sorry I'm a newbee :roll: )??[/quote]

the 1731 is the opamp, the Melcor 1731 is one of the options to use in the 312 board, you can use a 990, ap*i 2520, 1731, ect. they all fit the footprint.
the 75101 is the mic input transformer from Cinemag. again, there are several different trans you can use. check the thread "transformer for projects" by mbiria for more options.

:thumb:

t

[quote author="Hulk"]Hi Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeno

I really like the sound of that mp3 - you have a good feel in your playing :thumb:

What converters did you use for the recording?

Can you explain the numbers in the mp3 title?? I know the 312 but 1731, 75101?? and the rest of the signal chain (Sorry I'm a newbee :roll: )??[/quote]

Thank you Hulk... i really appreciate it ! :grin:
I used an M-Audio Delta 1010LT... why this question :?:

As ASM said, 1731 is the Melcor OpAmp, 75101 the mic input transformer and 4808 is the profile output transformer...

Neeeeeeeeeeeno

[quote author="Bear"]How did you have the Cinemag strapped? (it can do 150 or 600 IIRC.)

Bear[/quote]

It's 150... but i'll try 600... just for comparison...

Anyone knows what's the best configuration for the mic iron ?

Neeeeeeeno

newbie question:

What does to "stuff" the melcor mean?

Im building 2channels of this preamp using the melcor boards from Fabio Bauman, is there something i need to do to the opamps after soldering them? like shielding them with something?

thanks!
/Jonas

[quote author="Jonkan"]newbie question:

What does to "stuff" the melcor mean?[/quote]

It means 'to place all the components onto the board'.

No shielding necessary in most cases.

peter

chris, if you've got a problem with me, shoot me an email or something off the board, you are like way older than me, this is silly.

It should be obvious to anyone with recording experience of any kind that the frequency response of a typical condenser vs. a typical dynamic is going to contain very different material. The guy asked for an evaluation of a recording of the thing he made, if the recording was tracked with a dynamic Id say it sounded awfully bright, if it was made with a condenser Id say it sounds pretty damn good. But again, without knowing even the most general details about the microphone used, its difficult to evaulate the performance of the mic pre. Im just trying to help the dude out so he gets some feedback that is grounded in some kind of reference. Its unfortunate you've taken my comments to be anything other than that.

Ive sent you PM's when you post these little digs in hopes of working out whatever your problem is, but youve ignored them. I dont understand what your deal is but dont see how it benefits anyone, I certainly dont have boo to say bad about you.

dave

Back