Where to buy an enclosure for racking console modules, Should handle near 40Lbs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbeat

Hi

About to rack 11 quad eight EQ modules. Vertically, side by side. All 11 should fit in a 4 U rack. I suspect it may reach 40lBs with all the extra Xformers too.

Where do i get a proper box that can handle the weight safely.

What would you recommend i get exactly?

Thanks!

Check out the usual suspects like Schroff, SRS etc. Strangely, 4U is not a standard height for most manufacturers but soem do have it. Most manufacturers have several ranges of varying strengths for differing applications. I think Schroff even has a range specifically designed to survive railway carriage conditions.

A search for 19 inch sub-rack brings up a host of possibilities.

It would help if you included your location in your profile.

Cheers

Ian

Oh sorry;-)
Im in NY... we always think were the center of the universe i guess..;-)

Any specs i should be looking for in particular for the level of strength i am after?

Thanks!

Try par-metal maybe. I've never tried one. But they look sturdy enough. All faces other than the front are actually steel. And they have an RF resistant version. They have several 4U on Ebay right now.

Google "par-metal ebay" to find their Ebay storefront. Or maybe order direct. Actually if you need a bunch, you might be able to pick-up since they're located in Linden NJ.

I'd be inclined to go with schroff eurorack or similar -- i think it is 6u--and make up some filler panel/. Mounting rails

If you have the capability to cut and tap I'd suggest making the mounting rails, attaching them to rack ears and stick it in a road case or similar. You are most likely not going to find horizontal rails with tapped holes spaced as you want them.

You might try a 4U rack shelf with a vented bottom as a starting point for fabricating something. The vents are narrow enough that a low profile pan head machine screw (with a washer, if necessary) could attach to any rails you might add to the shelf, and still leave enough clearance under the shelf for a neighboring unit. The fact that the vents are slotted would give you a lot of latitude as to where you fasten the rails. You could also just fasten 2 or 3 horizontal plates across the vents from side to side and attach the rails to those so you're not limited by the placement of the vents themselves.

These are steel with a load capacity of 100lbs on eBay for $37 each.

Etsdo5A.png

Link to item if interested. I have no affiliation with the item or the seller. Just offering up ideas.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-4-Space-Steel-Cantilever-Relay-Rack-Mount-Vented-Network-Shelf-4U-10-Deep-/311475476738?hash=item4885629902:g:nT8AAOSweWVXgA9k

BT

Latest posts

Back