Superlux S502

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

A friend has a Superlux S502 that they told me they like. I have not heard it.
So I searched and found a GS thread with some pictures
It looks like two electret capsules into two Schoeps like circuits.
The capsules have eight outer openings and one center opening

I searched for a 1/2" with the 9 openings and did not find it anyone know what the capsules might be?

I have the same one here.
As far as I know they are 'real' condenser capsules.
If you want I can make some pictures of the inside.
The microphone is pretty good, certainly for the money.
A bit less noise would be great, but the microphone is very usable as it is!

Some pictures of the inside.
Looking at the input (two resistors with a high value and a capacitor between them) I get the impression that the capsules are externally polarized.

Attachments

• superlux.JPG
    superlux.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 78
What i can see on the PCB would indeed indicate / confirm that. Why else would they need that C-R-C filtering with those 2.2u/50v tantalums and 150k resistors, coming from the commoned collectors of the PNP's?

PS: Seems they skipped those reverse-protection(?) diodes/zeners across the PNP's...

Khron said:
PS: Seems they skipped those reverse-protection(?) diodes/zeners across the PNP's...

Yes, I noticed that before.
Also the wires to the capsules are longer than needed, adding extra capacity and thus introducing output loss.

RuudNL said:
I have the same one here.
As far as I know they are 'real' condenser capsules.

Try capsules without polarisation voltage - maybe they just did same thing as blue in their "spark" ;)
For the first look it looks like electret :)

I did look at pictures of the inside before posting.
I have read about adding voltage to electret capsules(IIRC there was a Scott Dorsey AKG 3000? mod in a magazine ) and I did read ln76d posts on the spark.
My guess is it is a no DC to DC converter way to help S/N to lower noise by increasing the signal from the capsule due to the increased charge voltage.

I am interested in what capsule it might be using. I have not found an image that looks like it with web searches.

Applying external bias voltage to a capsule, electret or not, does not require the existence of a DC-DC converter ;)

<cough>KM84<cough>U87 (non-A)<cough>Oktava MK012<cough>C414EB P48<cough>

Whether it helps with the SNR or not, would need comparative measurements though...

Khron said:
Applying external bias voltage to a capsule, electret or not, does not require the existence of a DC-DC converter ;)

<cough>KM84<cough>U87 (non-A)<cough>Oktava MK012<cough>C414EB P48<cough>

Whether it helps with the SNR or not, would need comparative measurements though...

Why are you being rude?

Extra voltage increases the Signal so the S/N should go up. This only works to a point and changes the tension on the diaphragm.

My apologies, i didn't mean to come across quite so brash - no offense was intended, i assure you. Just tried to correct an inaccuracy, and i might've been a bit... "over-enthusiastic" in the process  :-\

Upon closer reading, i might've slightly misunderstood what you were saying - you worded that remark in a somewhat confusing way... My bad :(

Ok here's why i mentioned that it could be electret:

http://www.transsound.net/electrets/tsb-165a.htm

Check more models - most looks similar to this one in superlux.
There's one option to check - just change position of backplate wire direct to gate ;)

RuudNL said:
I suppose the FET won't like + 39.4 V on the gate...

Rudolph?????????????????????
You  surprise me all the time :D :D :D

Who said about "+ 39.4 V on the gate"?

If you move just wire from one "teflon" connector to another one (where gate is connected), then you can omit DC voltage.

ln76d said:
There's one option to check - just change position of backplate wire direct to gate ;)

Yes, but then there is no longer a polarisation voltage on the capsule...
(And no sound...)

"The two 1/2-inch true-condenser capsules output to 5-pin XLR jack."

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Superlux/S502

RuudNL said:
Yes, but then there is no longer a polarisation voltage on the capsule...
(And no sound...)

"The two 1/2-inch true-condenser capsules output to 5-pin XLR jack."

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Superlux/S502

Yes, and this is to check is it real "true condenser" or electret.

Don't believe what people wrote - same source:

"It uses an edge-terminated true condenser capsule with a 23mm diaphragm (25mm capsule). This is a new capsule design for Blue, not found in any of its other products to date. "

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Blue-Microphones/Spark

This is exactly TSB electret capsule which you can find in the link above.

Good morning. I'm reactivating the post. Firstly because my s502 is very good but perhaps it can be improved. Then because Superlux launched an S502 MK2 a few years ago with a different capsule and circuit. Do you have any info on this? JLK Baden-Baden Germany

Latest posts

Back