Floti

Re: FEELER: API style console (Toft ATB complete rebuild)
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2020, 07:45:08 AM »
Yes, I have some!

Please report when you have your input working!

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2020, 03:02:01 PM »
Hi,
I've managed to finish 2 of my 16 planned Channels. I will be attempting to work these into a Soundcraft TS12 frame I have here.
I have a friend working on some CH strip front panel layout at the moment, and I'll post some pictures when those are done.

Not sure if anyone else is working on PCB final version 1.0, but I've found a few errors so far. One Floti made me aware of, phase switch is backwards, default out of phase.  The others I've found so far is R49 in the EQ section is missing ground connection. A few of the bypass caps around ICs in EQ, and the INA134 are not connected. I'll get some pictures of jumps I did later. 

The limited testing I've done I can say that it sounds great! Look forward to getting more work done on this soon.
Thanks again for making this available! fun stuff indeed.

Jon

Floti

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »
Hi Jon! I drew the missing connections for another user after your findings, find them attached.

I think there's a revision with the phase switch right and one without, but I don't know anymore which is which. The one Myers has is ok, I think!

Anyway, there's always a way to make the channels work and they do sound great!

Thanks to you all!

Floti

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
Hi myers, I had time today and took a picture at the pcb on the board, so you can see how it actually fits. I‘ll attach it here. Also tried every function in the board and it‘s working great.

Floti

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
More pics

Floti

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2020, 12:02:03 PM »
And the last one

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »
Great, so that’s with the legs just barely in?

Thanks for that info Jon, I’ve got final 1.0 as well, so I’ll add those jumpers!

Floti

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2020, 08:03:52 PM »
Great, so that’s with the legs just barely in?

Exactly. I had some time today and have the submaster pcb 80% soldered. I‘ll let you guys know if I get to test it in the coming days..

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2020, 06:51:26 AM »
Hi,
I've managed to finish 2 of my 16 planned Channels. I will be attempting to work these into a Soundcraft TS12 frame I have here.
I have a friend working on some CH strip front panel layout at the moment, and I'll post some pictures when those are done.

Not sure if anyone else is working on PCB final version 1.0, but I've found a few errors so far. One Floti made me aware of, phase switch is backwards, default out of phase.  The others I've found so far is R49 in the EQ section is missing ground connection. A few of the bypass caps around ICs in EQ, and the INA134 are not connected. I'll get some pictures of jumps I did later. 

The limited testing I've done I can say that it sounds great! Look forward to getting more work done on this soon.
Thanks again for making this available! fun stuff indeed.

Jon

I like the idea of someone building custom panels. It would solve some of the issues with the Pot and switch alignment.
In theory it would be a case of taking the existing footprint and bringing the pot cutouts closer to the switches. Then of course there is the custom screen printing. If anyone is considering doing this or has the knowhow then I am sure it would be very welcome on this project.

I have built 90% of a pair of prototype submaster modules supplied by Floti and have started a pair of channel modules. Currently waiting on parts from CAPI - due to arrive this week and Mouser.  As Floti mentioned my Master section is failing, I have a problem with hum and there is a in-balance between the left and right. It could be the Master fader but I have given up doing further work on existing modules.

I can't wait for Floti to finish the Master section - I think this will be very popular. I know a lot of people myself included modified the stock boards for the Jim Williams upgrade.

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2020, 03:04:31 PM »
Hi all-

I managed to desolder and transfer everything over to a new board with the pots raised, slipped it in and it fit like a glove!  Except I plugged in a mic and...  no signal.  Gutted.

I had taken the time to swap over every component (excluding resistors) but neglected to move the IC chips  :o

Pulled the card again and put the IC chips in and voila, everything works perfectly, and it sounds fantastic!  Can't wait to finish a bucket of 8 and hopefully a master section soon  ;)

Thanks so much to Floti, what a crazy/awesome project.  Thanks also to Jon for pointing out those jumps (that diagram you made was helpful Floti). 

Cheers,
Steve

Floti

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2020, 08:37:31 PM »
Glad it worked!! The sound difference between a stock channel and my boards is quite impressive, isn't it?

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I mean, they’re two completely different preamps, I made a quick comparison on acoustic guitar and it’s a big difference in tone.  The Toft preamps I always thought we’re pretty usable, but I didn’t want my console to just be ‘usable’ which was why I freaked out when I saw your project. The low mids are more there and the top end way smoother.  It sounds like an API preamp.  I can share the clips if anyone is interested.

I did just notice that my signal LEDs don’t light, I’ll need to look into that...  the mute/solo/eq leds work fine.