Dual 1073 style micpre & EQ in 1u

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats an amazing build!

How did you attach the input transformer?
If you have any need for the original style bracket that was used by Neve (and others) i have them.

I think you're asking about my build maybe. I attached the input transformers to the side with the screws. The sides of that case were a pain because it has a strange and annoying design. Those brackets would have been great to have. I had to make all the horizontal brackets.

@Burdoto:  Awesome build!  Top work!  Yes I have built similarly in the past and so understand the pain of builds like that!  So it was my big motivation to make this unit as easy to build as possible with as little wiring as possible..  I hate wiring!

Beautiful indeed! In norwegian we have a sauing: «mye vil ha mer, fanden vil ha fler», which (very roughly) translated means something like when you get something, you are never satisfied and the devil in you wants more.

So i guess no space for line input transformer? I guess you could always add a pad on a switch...

Hey everyone..  everything is ordered, and things are trickling in as we speak..  still waiting for the majority of parts however, so I will let you know when I'm nearly there...

In regards to line input, I've done it exactly the same way as the 1063 did it, and also my NV73..    ie. using the same transformer for both.. 

How does this sound compared to the NV73? Is it following the same part and schematics just different layout?

Hello David,

as said before this is an exciting project!
May I ask some technical/mechanics questions:

What will be the depth of the unit (roughly)?
About heat,can a couple of them be stacked on top of each other?
How much current will it draw roughly (to calculate psu requirements)?

Thank you in advance,

best regards,

Udo.

Depth is 308mm front to back..  I wanted to keep it similar to my other rack gear and not have it too deep..

It's quite spacious around the hottest components and with ventilation holes on both sides, it's enough to keep things under control..  The only thing that gets hot on 1073 circuits is the 2N3055 which is a workhorse of a transistor, used to much higher loads and is heatsinked to keep temperatures down within a comfortable range.. 
The internal PSU, (if you're not using 51X power) is sufficiently heatsinked too and uses LM317s.
No issue stacking them, as the ventilation holes are on the sides so won't get blocked up..

Current draw is around 100mA each unt.

Soundwise, I don't think there should be any difference to the NV73..  same parts and schematics..  just with a few extra bells and whistles..  eg. the 70, 75 & 80dB gain settings..  DI input obviously..  and also, that it can be built with switchable top frequency as per the 1084.

This looks fantastic! Very exciting indeed.
I would love the option to add the LP filter and high Q switch so if you want you can choose to build the 1073 or the 1081.
Maybe prepare the PCB for a concentric rotary switch where the HP filter is now?
/
Emil

What would the rough cost of this being assembled come to? Would easily order two units (4 of them) and pay to be built/shipped/etc.

Also any chance to adjust the Hi freq from 12k to 10k?

@Emil - great minds think a like..  Exactly what I have done on the PCB..  there are holes there to connect the upside filter board which can take the LPF rotary switch concentric through the HPF switch as per the 1084.  For the high Q switch, it was there in my thoughts but not added to this particular PCB, as it needs a slightly different layout..  of course you can always add a small switch DIY style, but what I probably will do to make things simpler in the long run, is just make two slightly different PCB boards... a 1073(with options of LPF and hi freq switch) / and full 1084 (with high q switch).. 

In regards to switching the high shelf "10k/12k/16k/off" on this 1073 board..  yes that option is there a standard..  as per the 1084.

Not 100% sure on costing yet.. still waiting for everything to come in to work out everything.. will let you know...

Nice!
Sooner or later someone will want to have the 1066 frequencies in the midband.. That might be an easy enough option too?
Great project!
/
Emil
onlymeeee said:
@Emil - great minds think a like..  Exactly what I have done on the PCB..  there are holes there to connect the upside filter board which can take the LPF rotary switch concentric through the HPF switch as per the 1084.  For the high Q switch, it was there in my thoughts but not added to this particular PCB, as it needs a slightly different layout..  of course you can always add a small switch DIY style, but what I probably will do to make things simpler in the long run, is just make two slightly different PCB boards... a 1073(with options of LPF and hi freq switch) / and full 1084 (with high q switch).. 

In regards to switching the high shelf "10k/12k/16k/off" on this 1073 board..  yes that option is there a standard..  as per the 1084.

Not 100% sure on costing yet.. still waiting for everything to come in to work out everything.. will let you know...

Me for example! I have already ordered some 1066 panels too so I can have the different 1073 and 1066 EQ frequency points..  I love using both that way to pull out slightly different frequencies on two different channels(vocals/guitar for example)..  just not sure if I should build a 1073 and 1066 into 1 rack or just do pairs of each! 

Great!!
Ok how about this: An option to replace the hp/lp switch for a second midband filter? The modularity is getting absurd but I couldn’t stop myself. Maybe add an envelope generator and make it a 1073 autowah? :)

I know that heritage audio does this in a few of his modules. Replaces the hp rotary with two push buttons for hp.

onlymeeee said:
Me for example! I have already ordered some 1066 panels too so I can have the different 1073 and 1066 EQ frequency points..  I love using both that way to pull out slightly different frequencies on two different channels(vocals/guitar for example)..  just not sure if I should build a 1073 and 1066 into 1 rack or just do pairs of each!

Yes, I'm definitely up for doing runs of different options like that.  Part of reason I designed it like this was for the modular aspect, to be able to do different modules and all of them to use the same rack/layout..  And be compatible with the amp boards too...  So leave it with me and I'll add it to list of possible modules to do once I get this first run out.

Latest posts

Back