chipss36

Re: Dual 1073 style micpre & EQ in 1u
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2019, 03:21:36 AM »
https://ibb.co/w0shygv
Looks like I am first.
Still working on the build, very impressive David.
Power rails are running fine, made a few changes to bom, solid shaft potmeters, center detent on cut boost pots, went all vishay 1813 on caps, becuse of ocd, still curve tracing transistors, have a few old bc184c’s
With good hfe levels.
All the new ones on bom, but ordered a few mpsa18’s, noise and gain on data sheet look impressive on them, want to test a few.
Still not sure what I will use yet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:28:55 AM by chipss36 »

Category 5

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 10:37:59 AM »
Just stumbled on this project and though I don’t need another mic pre (I’ve got 48 channels already!). I can hardly resist.

Anyone experimented with alternate parts?  I see a lot of parts from the mouser cart not available, so it’s going to be multiple vendor orders anyway.

I have a 24v/48v power supply in an old gen 1 sca rack that has been on the garbage pile for years but managed to stick around. It would be perfect for this. 

Anyone who has completed a build please share your thoughts, or talk me out of this!

Category 5

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2020, 11:22:31 PM »
Well, I'm all in for two channels of 73+.  Mind blown by the attention to detail.  How is this not everyone's project right now?  Rupert himself would dig this implementation.

Waiting on a ton of parts that are on the way but PSU and output trims done.

Ricardus

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2020, 10:05:51 AM »
Is this still available?
Audio mastering for hire..

kante1603

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
Is this still available?
Hi Ricardus,look here:

http://www.thedonclassics.com/#rack-kits

Best regards,

Udo.

chipss36

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2020, 02:45:31 PM »
I need to finish this up, mouser in the USA was indeed back ordered on a few parts,  I left it all in back order so others many have them parts in stock, I also wanted all vishay caps so subbed some caps, transistors I am still
Not set on, I have some old nos that have much less gain than say mpsa18’s
Same with the 2n3055, I have curve traced what I have and am still not sure what in the end I will do,..

Category 5

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2020, 03:22:41 PM »
Looks very nice chipss.  I decided that life wasn't difficult enough, so went about sourcing old mustard caps for mine.  It was expensive and tedious.  Anyone looking to do the same, I recommend avoiding anything rated above 160V.  Even the 160V parts are huge for the higher values.  I had to get creative and build in 3D.  I have two sets of boards, so I will do one with 1813s and compare.  I doubt there will be much actual difference.  Even with the vintage caps I was able to get them matched into pretty close pairs, surprisingly.  Also, I recommend you sand the leads a little and use plenty of flux.  Solder does not like to stick to old, oxidized leads at any temperature.