Bv8,12,11 replica feeler please read DISPATCHED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

UPDATE
FOR COST PLEASE CONTACT MOBY DIRECTLY

UPDATE
First batch has been dispatched. Wow that was epic. Thanks Moby and thanks everyone for your patience and belief in this project. I so much hope you enjoy Moby's work. I can't wait to try them out myself.
Cheers everyone

UPDATE

For buyers of BV08 and BV11 transformers, Moby can offer a package of Ni49 laminations which allows you to mix with the standard lams in order to create a more vintage sound closer to the older transformer sound which used an alloy in between these two types. Buyers can mix and match until they find the sound they prefer. This extra package would cost 35 EURO - postage would not increase - but the usual PAYPAL charge would have to be included.
This is what Moby has to say on the issue
"Ni49 is alloy has less permeability, but also transformer made of it has bigger headroom, so distortion points are changed. Early versions of Bv transformers used alloy in between ni49 & Ni78, so using for example 50%Ni49 and 50% Ni78 will give closest possible response as vintage Bv's. Translated to sound, with VF14 or same output impedance tubes it will give  that "low mid character''.
Also, its possible to use just Ni49 but winding count have to be different. Thats another story.
Lets stick to 50/50%
People like to debate about tx versions and this way they can experiment and find their custom BV. flawour.
Reason because I do this is because saying BV.08 is not enaugh. Neumann changed lamination suppliers in their production, also the laminations alloys. Winding scheme was the same inside those transformers, but response was slightly different.
Regarding BV.12 i did not find it with alloy containing less than 72% what can be treated as 78% . "

Please reply to this thread if you are interested in this option

OK this batch order is now closed. Please look below and check your order. Invoices will follow shortly

You guys probably know that Moby has put years of research into finding an exact match for the laminations Neumann used for their microphone transformers. He has sourced the exact material that matches 80s Neumann production.

We have an idea to make some transformers available for as low cost as possible to the DIY community

The lams unfortunately have a 10kg minimum order and transformer production would have a 90 day lead time. We toyed with the idea of splitting the cost but production costs are so high that neither of us is keen to outlay so much money for such a long time.
So we wanted to see how much interest is out there to buy these transformers at pretty much cost price with the proviso that payment is up front and turnaround is about 90 days from when all the orders are taken. Not really that long for such a high quality low cost transformer!

We need 100 orders to cover production costs and minimum orders.
Bv11, bv8 and bv12 can be wound to exact Neumann specs. Production can be split between different types.

Also to keep costs as low as possible we thought it might be an idea to supply wound bobbins and lams and buyers would assemble finished product themselves
We can supply a tutorial of exactly how to do this and this would be easily within most people's skills :p

So this is a feeler to see how many are interested to buy and what types bv8, bv11 or bv12

Let us hear your thoughts

BV11

Floti
bruno2000 x4 PAID
shabtek PAID
Timjag x2 PAID
Murdock x2 PAID
Lampas x2 PAID
Craig x2 PAID
Winetree x2 PAID
Colorblind PAID
buckethead PAID
Adadan x2 PAID
chefducuisine x2 PAID
bremusound PAID

BV8
Lampas x2 PAID
Floti PAID
shabtek PAID
Murdock PAID
Christopher L PAID
litespeedgreg PAID
Adadan PAID
M2BM x2 PAID
buckethead PAID
lyricalgeek x2 PAID
TLRT PAID
Tony Hunt x1 PAID

BV12
TLRT PAID
Floti PAID
gevermil PAID
Scimitar PAID
shabtek PAID
Adadan PAID
Christopher L PAID
Craig PAID
emrr PAID
Recording Engineer x2 PAID

EXTRA Ni49 packages

tony hunt x1 PAID
buckethead x1
litespeedgreg x1 PAID
Murdock x1
Winetree x1
Lyrical geek X1 PAID
ADADAN x1 PAID

I would suggest you address clearly if these would only work for DIY, or if any types would fit original Neumann mics are replacements. 

Yep, chime.in :) Both pics are proto's, and yes, all of BV's are exact size, as original vintage tx's. BV12 from picture is first, rough proto, but winding scheme is exact as original. Bv.08 bobbin is chambered (original) version,  BV.12 is done on pcb  bobbin variant.  Depending on nterest original BV.12 bobbin is also possible. But lets wait to see how many pieces we are talking about :)

I would try one bv08. If you are interested, you can send me one BV08, I can test it with original VF14, M7 in comparisson with Haufe bv08, for example.

o3misha said:
I would try one bv08. If you are interested, you can send me one BV08, I can test it with original VF14, M7 in comparisson with Haufe bv08, for example.
Thanks for the offer.
It might be more relevant for a comparison to be made to an original bv8 if that's possible. However we will keep this in mind

o3misha said:
Not a bad idea, but it will be  much better to compare it to original BV.08 from the mid 60's Neumann production.  One more thing. Lamination arrangement can be done in 2 ways. In blocks (like Neumann) or one by one like modern recreations. That changes the inductance and of course the low end response. I saw few originals with one by one "upgrade". But its a personal choice, if this batch ever happen, people will be able to experiment  and choose custom arrangement.

Original bв8 only inside the original microphones you can find. And hardly someone will want to solder for the sake of experiment. How does the method of laying core on inductance? Decreases with the block laying?

o3misha said:
Original bв8 only inside the original microphones you can find. And hardly someone will want to solder for the sake of experiment. How does the method of laying core on inductance? Decreases with the block laying?
yep, true. I was.the only fanatic who did that ;) yes, decrease so the  low end -3db will be higher

Weren't the originals bathed after winding in a varnish or wax? What about that process? Isn't it mandatory, important for the sound?

The varnish seals/protects the transformer from water damage mainly
Does not affect the sound
You can buy small amounts of transformer varnish through eBay etc
It's easy to do yourself if you feel so inclined
I think the bv8 proto has been varnished
The reason we can keep the price so cheap  is because we will be passing a few finishing touches onto the buyer
Speaking as an avid diyer myself this presents a great opportunity to save $$$ have some fun and learn a few skills at the same time 😜

Back