Bv8,12,11 replica feeler please read DISPATCHED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murdock said:
Weren't the originals bathed after winding in a varnish or wax? What about that process? Isn't it mandatory, important for the sound?
no, none of the originals are varnished or waxed. Pcb's (U67.87TLM's) are.warnished.

Check one vinage BV.08 from 1961. No varnish, no wax. Thats why its very important to adjust screws not too tight, but not too loose😉

Attachments

• bv.08_rewind.jpg
    bv.08_rewind.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 109
bremusound said:
Any Bv11 pictures?
Unfortunatelly I dont have any pics right now, but it looks same like BV.08. 4 chamber bobbin, UI30/25, center hole lams and original color coded  leads.

You say "matches 80s Neumann production". In what way are they different than, for example, 50s Neumann production?
None of the three classic transformers were made in the 80s anymore, right?
Don't want to sound sceptical or anything. I'm glad and thankful you're doing this! I'm asking just out of curiosity.

Murdock said:
You say "matches 80s Neumann production". In what way are they different than, for example, 50s Neumann production?
Don't want to sound sceptical or anything. I'm glad and thankful you're doing this! I'm asking just out of curiosity.
Hey, no problem, of course, let me explain. In the first run of their legendary microphones in 50-60's Neumann used long time ago obsolete (similar to VAC's Mumetall) alloy. I'm not 100% sure but from my research it was produced by Friedrich Krupp AG Hoesch-Krupp and Later, in 70's and 80's they switched to Vac's Mumetall and this transformers will use that kind of alloy.  Also, heat treatment will be custom. Instead of "modern" shiny finish, I asked for "vintage" tiny oxide layer on the top of the lams.  It takes some more time in production but hey, lets be as close as possible to the original. BTW, it improves Foucault currents Losses. ;)

Murdock said:
Can you answer this question directly for us Moby.
I know Neumann reissued the u67 in the 90s. Were any of these transformers actually made by Neumann using this alloy that you will be using?
I presume production had to go on so Neumann could honour guaranties and replacement parts etc

tardishead said:
Can you answer this question directly for us Moby.
I know Neumann reissued the u67 in the 90s. Were any of these transformers actually made by Neumann using this alloy that you will be using?
I presume production had to go on so Neumann could honour guaranties and replacement parts etc
Alloy chemistry was changed thru the years, and Neumann used more than 5 different alloys. That was my finding, it's possible that its even more different alloys in the production of the UI30/25 shaped transformers. This run replaces original parts in all aspects. Alloy matches the late BV.12 production. I never examined 90's reissue, but I have samples of VAC's Mumetall from that era, and alloy chemistry difference is negligible. The secret is in heat treatment approach.

Moby, as you may know, Max from ioAudio  makes a BV12 for his U67 drop-in kit. He claims to use the original alloy, but quite a few people have noticed that his BV12 sounds darker than the original. Some have suggested he might do the winding too "perfectly", i.e. too tight and/or too tidy.
Any comment on this?

We probably can't ask Max, because he doesn't seem to show up here anymore.

micaddict said:
Moby, as you may know, Max from ioAudio  makes a BV12 for his U67 drop-in kit. He claims to use the original alloy, but quite a few people have noticed that his BV12 sounds darker than the original. Some have suggested he might do the winding too "perfectly", i.e. too tight and/or too tidy.
Any comment on this?

We probably can't ask Max, because he doesn't seem to show up here anymore.
Hey Micaddict, yes, of course, I know about Ioaudio work (he did a lot of great things here) but I never examined his later products. All I know about it is from reading here. I have one of his early BV.08 recreations with VAC's  A52 Mumetall lamination and that lamination matches one of Neumann's productions, but that was limited run and later versions are unknown for me.
Also, I dont know the winding process he used, but all of early BV's were winded by hand control (wild winding). Modern, cnc control can change some of the coil parameters, that's why I always go with manual work.
It's time consuming but it works :)

I'm definitely interested in a pair of BV12s and will compare with ones from Spence and probably AMI.

I'd also would jump on a BV8 if I could get my hands on one right now; as I've got AMI, IOaudio, Haufe/AG, FAB in hand, and one from Spence will probably be showing up real soon.

Back