Zuckerburg Letter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

It seems to me that the implication of this letter is that ,although the creator of the worlds largest social media site wouldn't want his own daughter hooked on facebook or other social media sites ,he's happy to rake in the advertising revenue generated by other peoples children  becoming slaves to it. Sounds like a case of 'Do as I say not as I do '.

Tubetec

Where about does it state that in his letter, which part did I miss?

Call me a cynic, but  do you think is likely that he actually write that entire letter himself, even in the euphoric bliss of new parenthood?

Cheers

Mike

Hi King,
Well its a brand new post ,on a new topic ,so Im kinda setting the context I guess.

Hi Mad,
well what I said was the 'implication' , I didnt actually go to the trouble of reading the letter either , just my own personal reaction to the headlines.

Hi John,
More of a note to self on Mr Z's part I guess for now . For me, along with the whole 'philantropic charity' thing shows a man who may not be all that comfortable with the monster he's created . Id liken mass social media to looking at the world through a fish eye lens , people tend to become consumed by extraneous noise ,and over look much more important stuff going on closer to home .

Thank you all kindly for taking the time to chime.

Tubetec said:
Hi King,
Well its a brand new post ,on a new topic ,so Im kinda setting the context I guess.
Except you didn't tell anybody what the letter was... I found it by googling
Hi Mad,
well what I said was the 'implication' , I didnt actually go to the trouble of reading the letter either , just my own personal reaction to the headlines.

Hi John,
More of a note to self on Mr Z's part I guess for now . For me, along with the whole 'philantropic charity' thing shows a man who may not be all that comfortable with the monster he's created . Id liken mass social media to looking at the world through a fish eye lens , people tend to become consumed by extraneous noise ,and over look much more important stuff going on closer to home .
It's called moral signalling and is supposed to demonstrate to the public how "good" of a person he is (probably I didn't read it either).

I haven't followed Zuckerberg's career that closely but it is hard to miss him, he has a pretty big footprint in modern culture, and he hasn't been around that long. I recall one of his earlier philanthropic acts... He was so impressed by Cory Booker, newark's fast rising  (democratic ) mayor, that he donated $100M dollars to the newark school system, that was in rough shape. The schools also got another $100M in matching funds.  Long story short, Cory Booker moved on to higher office and millions of the charity grant went to $1000 a day consultants. It wasn't a total loss some $40M went to charter schools that now serve 30% of the district and outperform public students. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-newark-schools-partially-squandered-a-great-prize/2015/10/20/ffff660c-7743-11e5-a958-d889faf561dc_story.html?utm_term=.bb89b72aade2

So Zuckerberg is very wealthy and well intentioned. He may run for president when he gets old enough, and hopefully with some more real world experience.
Thank you all kindly for taking the time to chime.
thanks this is more interesting than TDS...

JR

Tubetec said:
Hi John,

Yep, I re-read the letter and it does seem like fatherhood has, perhaps, made him look at things in a way that he may have not done so before.  It does look a bit like a PR-tick list though.

I would have liked to have seen something along the lines of:
"We must take responsibility for the things we create, write and say and not hide behind the anonymity of the Internet"

What would other folk add?

I found the letter here
https://en-gb.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/a-letter-to-our-daughter/10153375081581634/

Cheers
Mike

He's currently traveling around the country on an 'actually completely normal' tour in preparation of running for president in 2020, he still wants to take that chunk of land from the Hawaiians, and run our surveillance state. I haven't read this letter, I don't intend to, but it's going to be very expensively produced propaganda with that context, so...

https://twitter.com/lumpylouise/status/903686106939621376

Attachments

• DIqJsUyUwAAumQua.JPG
    DIqJsUyUwAAumQua.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 4
Yeah it's a bit funny - "Letter to Our Daughter" - She can't read it!

All she needs right now is to be burped and fed and changed and loved.

By the time she can read it, and understand it, the world will be very different.

Odd really.

Ahhahha Tands ,
I had a feeling you might have something to say on that , dont be fooled into thinking were not being force fed the same verbal diarrhoea  this side of the pond ,biometrics ,security, databases that end up spread like sh1.t on a blanket , politicians ,we vote em in ,but they're little more than drones to the marketing men ,different flag same sh1.t,
Like the Al Pacino charachter in Glen Garry Glen Ross ,I feel like shouting at the politicians ,'You are here to help us ,not to f**k us up '

madswitcher said:
I found the letter here
https://en-gb.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/a-letter-to-our-daughter/10153375081581634

Was looking for this in the first post.

I guess a bunch of hippies trying to save the world with 45 billion in pocket is going to make a bigger splash than penniless at burning man.

Hasn't made any splash, political types either mocking or ignoring him. Except for the consultants he's paying that is.  ;D

There's a good friend of mine ,top of his game in the field  of science . In the course of his work he comes into contact with people with billions in 'Philanthropic' money to invest.  He's often come up with simple suggestions and ways in which modern science could do things to prevent disease and human suffering .Often these ideas, while they have  merit  ,but certainly could cut into  the profits of multinational pharma/chem companies . The Armani wearing ,Maybach and Learjet traveling white knights of philanthropy aren't interested. If the ideas cant be monetized chances are they will never see the light of day ,no matter what the potential benefit to humanity.

Were just coming to terms with what happened in this country (Ireland) and what was done in the name of charity. Young  single mothers and their babies were put into the care of charitable orders of nuns .While there, ghastly illegal experiments were done in co-opperation with pharamaceutical corporations , many thousands of babies perished and didnt even get a dignified burial . Of course this left the religious orders in a prime position with inside info to make very smart investments ,and they made a fortune. Now they refuse to compensate the survivors .

Tubetec said:
There's a good friend of mine ,top of his game in the field  of science . In the course of his work he comes into contact with people with billions in 'Philanthropic' money to invest.  He's often come up with simple suggestions and ways in which modern science could do things to prevent disease and human suffering .Often these ideas, while they have  merit  ,but certainly could cut into  the profits of multinational pharma/chem companies . The Armani wearing ,Maybach and Learjet traveling white knights of philanthropy aren't interested. If the ideas cant be monetized chances are they will never see the light of day ,no matter what the potential benefit to humanity.

Were just coming to terms with what happened in this country (Ireland) and what was done in the name of charity. Young  single mothers and their babies were put into the care of charitable orders of nuns .While there, ghastly illegal experiments were done in co-opperation with pharamaceutical corporations , many thousands of babies perished and didnt even get a dignified burial . Of course this left the religious orders in a prime position with inside info to make very smart investments ,and they made a fortune. Now they refuse to compensate the survivors .
Of the wealthy do-gooders Bill Gates seems the most effective at getting bang for his charity bucks. Rather than just throwing money at some problem (like Zuckerberg did in the Newark school system) Gates instead engages with drug companies to invest in new cures and even invests in low tech solutions like mosquito nets in malaria prone regions.  Some other smart wealthy, just give their money to Gates rather than doing the work themselves.

Being wealthy doesn't mean they are smart, but some wealthy are very smart (like Bill Gates) so capable of doing more good with their charity money.  For many wealthy it is more about looking like they are doing good (moral signalling), than actually doing good.

JR

Latest posts

Back