Who can identify these audio connectors? 2/3 female 1/3 male

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/2 female 1/3 male

Sounds like a LEMO:

new-s-series-outer-shell.png

Its an old ORF mixer.  ORF used Lemo until the 80ies instead of XLR.

I have a few of those connectors available if you should decide to get the Mixer :)

Georg

A Sennheiser M101...

Never seen one of those with these connectors. Mine has XLR's, albeit male where inputs should have female connectors...

And T-12 power, of course.

@tonzauber
Yes it´s a M-101 from ORF (austrian broadcast) and I bought it already, and I may very well get back to you about the connectors soon, thanks ;)

@cyrano I have seen that version also, I measured and there seems to be just not enough faceplate place to put in female xlrs, swapping T12 for 48V is one of the few mods I will do on this mixer (I am just cleaning it up and restoring it now but plan to use it in mono), this one also has a nice big output transformer in the master channel (factory mod), also the specs of the mic input transformers are nowhere mentioned in the service manual.
The hp-filter uses transformer inductance as one filter pole (Audio Developments does this too): nice! The minimal EQ has tapped pots, everything is high quality and well engineerd, maybe I should get another one and put together a stereo version  ::)

@abbey road d´enfer
would you care to elaborate? I´d think exposing (phantom) voltage like that on open pins is suboptimal... (btw. I´m still all over that Soundcraft series one :D)

Attachments

• Sennheiser-M101 mix.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
L´Andratté said:
@abbey road d´enfer
would you care to elaborate? I´d think exposing (phantom) voltage like that on open pins is suboptimal... (btw. I´m still all over that Soundcraft series one :D)
The reasoning is that the source should use a protected connector, so an output should use a female, but mic inputs are ambiguous because they are a receiver AND a source when phantom or T-power is activated.

> exposing (phantom) voltage

Phantom is generally assumed to be "safe", in studio, only professionals messing with the plugs.

Don't lick it. Don't throw the end in the musicians' hot-tub while they are strung-out on pep-pills.

Phantom is (should be!) designed to survive accidental shorts without harm.

L´Andratté said:
@cyrano I have seen that version also, I measured and there seems to be just not enough faceplate place to put in female xlrs,

When I first looked at it, I came to the same conclusion. But standard XLR's do fit in mine's inputs. Output is another story, being 7 pin DIN. I didn' bother looking for those connectors, just use the preamps without the master section.

swapping T12 for 48V is one of the few mods I will do on this mixer (I am just cleaning it up and restoring it now but plan to use it in mono), this one also has a nice big output transformer in the master channel (factory mod), also the specs of the mic input transformers are nowhere mentioned in the service manual.

I've considered a phantom mod too, but I use the preamps with old MKH816's and it would require an adapter or a mod to these too. And that's beyond my capabilities.

The hp-filter uses transformer inductance as one filter pole (Audio Developments does this too): nice! The minimal EQ has tapped pots, everything is high quality and well engineerd, maybe I should get another one and put together a stereo version  ::)

Yes. These are very nice. And quite rare, over here.

cyrano said:
When I first looked at it, I came to the same conclusion. But standard XLR's do fit in mine's inputs. Output is another story, being 7 pin DIN. I didn' bother looking for those connectors, just use the preamps without the master section.
That´s good news,though it must be really tight squeeze! Did you have to drill out/file/whatever the inner faceplates? I´m not keen on that.
I maybe try to fit these:http://www.neutrik.com/de/industrie/xlr/mpr-hd-serie/nc3mpr-hd
And use a 5-pin of that for 4x unbal. direct out + GND

cyrano said:
I've considered a phantom mod too, but I use the preamps with old MKH816's and it would require an adapter or a mod to these too. And that's beyond my capabilities.
I think if you need 48v as well as t12 (I don´t), it´s really easy to keep both, you just need two switches...
cyrano said:
Yes. These are very nice. And quite rare, over here.
Agreed and they pop up from time to time in Germany.
They run on 12,5V single sided (-12,5 really asit´s "positive ground"). That´s not too much headroom, but I think it will be fine-we´ll see ;D

L´Andratté said:
That´s good news,though it must be really tight squeeze! Did you have to drill out/file/whatever the inner faceplates? I´m not keen on that.

I'm sorry, I meant that standard XLR plugs fit in my mixer. No need to change them. I just use a female to female adapter.

And these are special. Fastened with a ring, in stead of screws. Very nice, so I won't change them.

And since I have tapped the bus for outputs, I don't use the master section, so the 7-pin DIN connectors don't matter.

But mine is basically a two channel preamp, since only two work. But then I have only two MKH's with T12 power, so it's fine for my needs :)

I maybe try to fit these:http://www.neutrik.com/de/industrie/xlr/mpr-hd-serie/nc3mpr-hd
And use a 5-pin of that for 4x unbal. direct out + GND
I think if you need 48v as well as t12 (I don´t), it´s really easy to keep both, you just need two switches...Agreed and they pop up from time to time in Germany.
They run on 12,5V single sided (-12,5 really asit´s "positive ground"). That´s not too much headroom, but I think it will be fine-we´ll see ;D

The schematic is different from most of today's stuff. An elaborate attenuator in front of the transformer and then a fixed high gain stage after it.

I wonder why a lot of these vintage audio devices seem to use positive to ground schemes?

I pondered on it, but I don't see any real advantage.

Oh, and headroom is fine. The way it levels out if you overdrive it, is euhm... nice?

Thanks for the insight, Abbey. Seems a simple enough reason. And this stuff is old enough  :p

Latest posts

Back