Video Shootout - Big Thanks To You Guys

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Hi guys, here is the shootout of some of my mics on a guitar cab. People on this forum have been so helpful and this is a big thanks to you all.

MD1B is moded after Piotr's instructions. There is two levels of HF reduction and flat, this is darkest mode.

Behringer B2 is combination of Piotr's and Ruud's sugestions. Cool thing is that all B2s i have have interchangeable, detachable grilles so that i can swap capsules and different circuits.

Doug Ford (Røde) NT3 mod

Oktava MK319 is my custom, ultra moron mod. I punctured capsule while removing discs, disassembled capsule into peaces, cannibalized it, glued hole with super glue. And it works! Just refuses to die! Has Dorsey mod as well. Its dark as it should be, and i'll jut keep it this way, as it's sure one of a kind.

Behringer B1 with Dave Pearlman k47 capsule which is probably my favorite mic, and i have had a lot of them.

Chinese 50 bucks C12 capsule from Alibaba in B2 - huge low end.

And some usual suspects...

I used distorted guitar sound as i find it to be closest to pink noise, covers almost full spectrum and it's very easy to spot differences in frequency response.

Last edited:
I am not sure about numbers, i can check it out, but they are the same in7d sugested removing and upgrading in B2 in this thread.

The sound comes mostly from Daves capsule tho. Some people said he used chinese capsules for a while. I have no idea, i had several chinese k47 capsules none of them sounding like this.

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=65484.0

Thanks for sharing.  :)

Yeah, that K47 really shows the mid cut power of these animals.

The SM57 moving coil is also interesting in this comparison.

Back