Hello France!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

I just completed a move to France. Living in Roanne which is about an hour from Lyon. Any members from around?

Pretty exciting to move to another country. This is the second time I've f done it, but the first with a family in tow and as a working 'professional'. I'll be starting a new job at Siemens software in October.

I'm already loving some aspects of France compared to where we were living, but missing my marmite!

Anyone else made a move to new shores recently?

Not recently, but just approaching the 5 year mark of living in NL.

The good points far, far outweigh the bad. I miss hills, and decent Indian food, and that's pretty much it. It's a shame to not be close to friends and family, but the flight back is 45 mins - a shorter journey in time terms than 4 - 5 hours up and down the motorway when visiting family back in Britain.

So yeah, we've put down roots and have no plans to return to Britain for now. I expect we will one day, but not in the foreseeable future...

Ahh well, I was never particularly fond of indian food, so I won't miss anything.

Have you managed with the language (rob)? This is my only real worry. Like many, I only did about 3 years of french in secondary school and have a bit of a mental block when it comes to languages. The UK is terrible at teaching languages compared to the rest of the EU....

Congrats on the move Ramshackles.  I'm coming up on seven years in L.A. having moved from rural Ireland.  There's lots of things that I miss about home and lots of things that keep me away.  Overall it's been a great move.

I hope to live in France at some point, I just love it there and have been more than a dozen times.  Re the language I always found the French to be fiercely proud of their mother tongue but also very kind to a non native who makes the effort.

micaddict said:
Limburg has pretty hills. But I suppose you're in the west?
Noord Holland.  Je weet wel welke stad denk ik ;-)
I've visited heuvelland and it's lovely, but I used to be able to look out of the kitchen window and see gently undulating landscape.  That's what I miss
Cook your own!  :p
I do!
(The bigger cities have good Indian restaurants BTW.)
They're OK haha

ramshackles said:
Ahh well, I was never particularly fond of indian food, so I won't miss anything.

Have you managed with the language (rob)? This is my only real worry. Like many, I only did about 3 years of french in secondary school and have a bit of a mental block when it comes to languages. The UK is terrible at teaching languages compared to the rest of the EU....

Well, where I am is quite unique in that most people speak pretty decent English, and are also happy to use it.  I understand from friends that that's not always the case in other countries, and I agree that if you move to a place, the very first step should be learning the local language.

But people's willingness to speak English here makes it harder to learn Dutch.  Most expats don't bother, so most Dutch people just automatically speak in English to anyone who gives any hint of being non-Dutch.

Regarding learning the language, my only advice is to start asap and get over the fact that it's difficult and embarrassing and you might not (won't?!) be well understood to begin with.  It's a necessary part of the process.  And the quickest and best way to get into it is total immersion.

Happy to have you in our lowlands, Rob.  :)

Not all French are willing to speak English BTW.
But it's a great place to live and there are plenty nice folks in every country.

Oh, and not to turn this into another Brexit thread (that's already been taken care of), but you guys may have to make a "definitive" choice.

Ramshackles,

I moved to the Limousin area 3 years ago and will never return to the UK, even if it was financially possible, which it ain't.

As you will be working, you will be in constant contact with French speakers and you will learn fast, I have to have one-to -one French lessons each week because I'm retired.

The most important thing to remember is that English is just anglicized French; the accent disguises that fact.  Only the who, which, where,  when, why,  what and how remain from our original pre-Norman language, along with the earlier words that the common people used, like bury for inter, in fact all the words associated with quality, law,  government and authority are French based.  There are more words in English than in French because of this.

Gender was dumped when the Saxons, Danes, Vikings, Jutes and Angles had to communicate with each other in the 800's.  I wish I had known all this stuff back when I did French at school!  It would all have made much more sense back then.

What do I miss from Britain?

(you can get Marmite in Carre Four if you look).

White lines on the roads.

Crystal Clear Bills for utilities.  The French seem to think we need to have the relevant statute to read before we will pay a bill.  Their obsession with numbers needs serious therapy.  The code on my Orange Live Box (router) has 16 digits to enter.  I think they must think it will serve them for when we colonise other galaxies.  Google translate is a life saver but check it backwards first, it is a work in progress.

Advice:  They do not have a telephone preference service so get a call identification phone and don't answer any numbers that you don't recognise otherwise you will be plagued with selling calls.  Shops and offices often close from 12 to 2pm but are open later in the evening, some close on Monday too.  Supermarkets have recently started opening during during the lunch hours though.

Allow 2 hours to open a bank account and they charge around 4 euros a month and for a bank card, that is Credit Agricole, but AXA may be different.  Beware of some mutual banks where you may be liable if they go bust, like Lloyd's Friends, check the small print.

The internet is not used as much in France as in the UK, search facilities on French websites almost never work.  I think that because the internet is mostly conducted in English, it never caught on to the same extent over here.  Amazon FR is a pale shadow of Amazon UK but it is worth checking for some items because the delivery charges are often less.

Lyon was a nightmare due to roadworks, but hopefully it may be fixed now.

Apart from the forgoing, you will love France, it is like going back 50 years in some places to a gentler pace of life.

Final advice:  When you go into a doctors waiting room or any shop, say Bonjour, even if you don't know anyone, it is impolite not to do so.  Do not just launch into a question before that basic politeness has taken place.  Bonjour and a smile will open doors for you.

Bonne chance!

DaveP

Welcome to France !  :D

I know a little bit Roanne because my paternal grandfather was from a small village nearby and we still have family house there.

You have some nice restaurants and even the famous gastronomic Troisgros near the train station.

Feel free to contact me by PM if I can help you for something  ;)

Regards,
Stéphane.

DaveP said:
Apart from the forgoing, you will love France, it is like going back 50 years in some places to a gentler pace of life.

DaveP

I retired to North Norfolk which is pretty much the same except you don't need to learn French. Plenty of shops around here still only accept cash.

Cheers

Ian

DaveP said:
Final advice:  When you go into a doctors waiting room or any shop, say Bonjour, even if you don't know anyone, it is impolite not to do so.  Do not just launch into a question before that basic politeness has taken place.  Bonjour and a smile will open doors for you.

Bonne chance!

DaveP
That is not only true for France..  When I moved into the deep south (raised a yankee up north) I had to learn to suppress my desire to jump immediately into the pending business, but share greetings and maybe even talk about hunting and fishing as appropriate to establish some rapport. Weather is always a safe topic. 

It is also amusing how much it weirds out an elevator full of strangers (not in the deep south) when you wish them all a good morning.  ;D

JR

JohnRoberts said:
That is not only true for France..  When I moved into the deep south (raised a yankee up north) I had to learn to suppress my desire to jump immediately into the pending business, but share greetings and maybe even talk about hunting and fishing as appropriate to establish some rapport. Weather is always a safe topic. 

It is also amusing how much it weirds out an elevator full of strangers (not in the deep south) when you wish them all a good morning.  ;D

JR

I am surprised people find this odd or unusual. I traveled extensively when I was at work and just about everywhere I found it is normal to pass the time of day before getting down to business whether in a formal business meeting or buying a newspaper. Happens every time at the supermarket checkout. I remember in German hotels, everyone says good morning in the elevators.

Cheers

Ian

I retired to North Norfolk which is pretty much the same except you don't need to learn French. Plenty of shops around here still only accept cash.
You don't need French, but you might need a boat soon, your not far above sea level there!

DaveP

DaveP said:
As you will be working, you will be in constant contact with French speakers and you will learn fast,
Yet one has to be aware that the accent in Lyon is not exactly like Paris (which is the equivalent of RP), and people tend to use several different words for the same thing, because of "argot" (slang). Don't hesitate to ask your interlocutors to repeat and speak slowlier.
Teaching of foreign languages in France is terrible really. It's done so tediously that it is resented as a punishment. And some people are still entrenched in the notion that French was the diplomatic language and resent the fact that English has objectively taken command.

The internet is not used as much in France as in the UK, search facilities on French websites almost never work.
That is quite surprizing to me. I use Google extensively, and I never noticed any difference here compared to New Orleans.

Amazon FR is a pale shadow of Amazon UK 
Again this is surprizing, for I use amazon.co.uk a lot for buying books and DVD's in English, but apart from that I have not noted a huge difference.

Final advice:  When you go into a doctors waiting room or any shop, say Bonjour, even if you don't know anyone, it is impolite not to do so. 
Maybe it's the French connection, but I would not go into a shop in New Orleans without saying Good morning/afternoon/evening. Can you really do it in the UK?

abbey road d enfer said:
Yet one has to be aware that the accent in Lyon is not exactly like Paris (which is the equivalent of RP), and people tend to use several different words for the same thing, because of "argot" (slang). Don't hesitate to ask your interlocutors to repeat and speak slowlier.
Teaching of foreign languages in France is terrible really. It's done so tediously that it is resented as a punishment. And some people are still entrenched in the notion that French was the diplomatic language and resent the fact that English has objectively taken command.
That is quite surprizing to me. I use Google extensively, and I never noticed any difference here compared to New Orleans.

Again this is surprizing, for I use amazon.co.uk a lot for buying books and DVD's in English, but apart from that I have not noted a huge difference.

Maybe it's the French connection, but I would not go into a shop in New Orleans without saying Good morning/afternoon/evening. Can you really do it in the UK?
I need to shut up before I comment on how it is in the UK, but I suspect it may be a small town versus large city thing... In crowded cities where people are packed in like sardines, they want their personal space and don't want to get too "familiar" with strangers invading their space. That said working in any service business should bias people toward being more friendly to strangers .

Yes Nawlins is easy going (south of me)...  Laissez les bons temps rouler  8)

Speaking of accents there are some parishes down around nawlins that sound almost exactly like a new jersey accent... Really surprised me first time I encountered it ... those girls were definitely not from NJ.  :eek: But no problem they were still girls.

JR

DaveP said:
You don't need French, but you might need a boat soon, your not far above sea level there!

DaveP

It is a myth that Norfolk is flat. My brother in law is a keen cyclist and he will tell you in no uncertain terms just how hilly Norfolk is. Sure, there are parts that are flat. To the west are the Fens, but they are mostly in Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire, not Norfolk. The only really flat part is the Broads to the east. Where I used to  live, in Holt, was 90m above sea level on top of a ridge of moraine left over when the ice last retreated.

Cheers

Ian

DaveP said:
The code on my Orange Live Box (router) has 16 digits to enter.  I think they must think it will serve them for when we colonise other galaxies.
;D They are upping the ante...ours was waiting in the postbox when we arrived, with its 32 digit passcode.

Thanks for the kind words. I can confirm that Lyon is still a nightmare. We are a good hour away from the outskirts though so I doubt we will be going there much (apart from to get to the airport). If I do it will probably be by train. Your notes on the language are a confidence booster, thanks!

abbey road d enfer said:
Teaching of foreign languages in France is terrible really. It's done so tediously that it is resented as a punishment.
You obviously havn't been to school in the UK!
We have a 5 year old daughter, so she started school right away in France (Grand Maternelle, which is, I gather, something like the last year of nursery school - they dont start school proper in France until later than the UK).
Already they are having English 'lessons'. It is only singing English nursery rhymes every other day, but still a darn sight more than in the UK. I didn't start having any french lessons whatsoever until 11 and was able to give up all languages at 15.

abbey road d enfer said:
Depends on the shop. A small village shop (or perhaps even a small non-chain boutique shop in a town) you would tend to say hello.  I wouldn't walk into a wilco, starbucks or tesco and say hello to anyone.
We are discreet. If the owner/shop assistant isn't anywhere to be seen when you enter, you wouldn't go looking for them and you would absolutely *not* shout out hello to all and sundry. Only if there is someone within earshot to say hello to...

If you do walk into a supermarket and happen to see someone you know, it is as common to duck into the nearest aisle and spend the rest of your shop carefully avoiding them as it is to say hello  ;D

Back