Dep. Carbon Resistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilan

All the Fisher manuals list some resistors as "Dep. Carbon Resistors" while other resistors list as "Composition Resistors".
What are the deference between the two types ?

smilan said:
All the Fisher manuals list some resistors as "Dep. Carbon Resistors" while other resistors list as "Composition Resistors".
What are the deference between the two types ?
Not a common term...  perhaps carbon film.

JR

Carbon composition used to be cheaper, 2 cents. So Fisher would use it anywhere that it did not matter.

Low-hiss or precision points would get deposited carbon film, 20 cents.

Carbon Comp was crap. Carbon film is now cheaper. Basically nobody makes Comp anymore. You should be using Film.

EXCEPT: some tube guitar amp geeks think some of the "mojo" comes from Composition. (Others do not agree.) Vintage Composition are up in asking price. IIRC, someone has put Composition back in production, at boutique price, for this market. I don't think they have any place in a Fisher; if Avery and his staff could have got Film without blowing the profit, he would have. I'd only use them in a guitar amp if the player insisted (with more cash).

PRR said:
Carbon composition used to be cheaper, 2 cents. So Fisher would use it anywhere that it did not matter.

Low-hiss or precision points would get deposited carbon film, 20 cents.

Carbon Comp was crap. Carbon film is now cheaper. Basically nobody makes Comp anymore. You should be using Film.

EXCEPT: some tube guitar amp geeks think some of the "mojo" comes from Composition. (Others do not agree.) Vintage Composition are up in asking price. IIRC, someone has put Composition back in production, at boutique price, for this market. I don't think they have any place in a Fisher; if Avery and his staff could have got Film without blowing the profit, he would have. I'd only use them in a guitar amp if the player insisted (with more cash).
I never paid more than a few cents for carbon film even back in the 70s. Maybe you refer to older than that.

There was some legend about carbon composition having lower excess noise which was generally insignificant in any design I ever did.

There are many odd irrational pursuits when chasing mojo. If you want to argue you are different it helps to use different parts (even if they aren't really very different).  In the other direction some purists swear by metal film resistors as being audibly better (cough).  8)

JR

Latest posts

Back