My visit at the API factory

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majestic12

I'm doing service for API (amongst other brands) here in Germany for quite a while now and was very pleased when API invited me to come over to their HQ and get a week of extra training and insight in the gear / console manufacturing process .
I of course couldn't say no to this offer and took a plane over the big sea to visit them at the beginning of september 2017.
I also posted this on the german recording.de forum in German language:

https://recording.de/threads/firmenbesuch-bei-api.213122/#post-2492557

Here are a few shots, enjoy !

28kocd2.jpg

The main entrance

A big storage hall with all the components needed for manufactoring.
sljqdy.jpg

2wd2906.jpg

All modules get thoroughly tested several times in each building step before they finally get merged into a console frame of 19" enclosure.

2pzxw28.jpg

23iflh2.jpg

A bunch of 4312 preamps that have been sitting in a rack for 48h of burn in before they get a final test and are ready to ship out.

ou31ow.jpg

A API classic, the 550A equalizer

That's an old one from the 90ies where I did some repair work.

2ypj52d.jpg

Let's start with the small desks, here are some Boxes ready for final testing.

2ij2jc5.jpg

Next step, a 1608 with fader automation

2aiis83.jpg

And the big guys. Three AXS consoles and a Vision on the right side.

2e1bw3t.jpg

Ben is showing me how to check and measure each channel inside the console for correct signal flow and signal integrity.

1zno4yc.jpg

Lots of transformers and 2520 opamps

200snqx.jpg

Patchbay wiring inside a Vision console frame
xpv81w.jpg

Bling Bling
2exn914.jpg

Hope you've enjoyed the pictures.
Many thanks to Radovan, Philip, Ben, Jonathan and all the other guys from API that took care of me so well during my visit.

I visited the API offices in VA (IIRC) back in the early 80s as a consultant to kick the tires when some large company was thinking of buying them (they didn't).

Nice to see the brand still around.

JR 

Awesome! Can you comment of how they manage the quality control? I suppose they have multiple stages.

I would imagine that they CM  most of their stuff? Most audio companies do that now days.  Keep a small tech staff in house for assembly, testing, qc, and fixing.  Have the mass part stuffing offsite by third party. It's easier to manage that way, well it sometimes is easier to manage.  It all depends where they CM.

pucho812 said:
I would imagine that they CM  most of their stuff? Most audio companies do that now days.  Keep a small tech staff in house for assembly, testing, qc, and fixing.  Have the mass part stuffing offsite by third party. It's easier to manage that way, well it sometimes is easier to manage.  It all depends where they CM.
Final QA on larger desks is serious work... checking that every switch and feature works perfectly takes time and effort, no small task.

JR

> QA on larger desks is serious work... checking that every switch and feature works perfectly takes time and effort, no small task.

What?

When Keith shipped that giant vintage console on the reality-TV show, the consignee checked it out in 30 seconds!

JohnRoberts said:
Final QA on larger desks is serious work... checking that every switch and feature works perfectly takes time and effort, no small task.

JR

Agreed. I did  that along with desk assembly  for a few years. I found the first bugs of a new model and production run.  8) It is no joke and does take lots of time.

Nice! Always a treat to see another company, IMHO, lots to learn and understand.

Even though they have a nice warehouse area, the actual workshops look pretty crowded (by EU/NL standards). But that seems to be a theme for US manufacturing, our US facilities look similar.
We'd put shelves against the walls and put the WIP on there, rather than stacked on top of each other on tables (and use higher tables).
Is there kind of a standard or set of regulations for workshop layout in the US, aisle widths, natural light, table height, etc.?

Thanks for sharing the photos! I've been meaning to make the pilgrimage over to their Maryland headquarters for some time now. What was the general feeling there? Were they relaxed about your discovery or was it a 'look but don't touch' kinda vibe?

Latest posts

Back