MCI jh24 oddity

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

odd one tonight. MCI jh24 calibration and one channel was not working. When in input, it would not pass signal, when playing back from the MRL,  it would not register any level  with the sync or repro. Any monitoring of the machine worked except for that one channel. 

swapped a different set of electronics from a known good channel and the problem stayed  in that position.  the meter did not register with any set of electronics in any mode.  There was no audio happening at all at that position.

so basically on channel was not functioning at all regardless of mode or  which set of electronics were in it but all the other performed as one would expect.

ruffrecords said:
No power supply at that position??

Cheers

Ian

possible, it would explain things. Because of the small space and allotted time, didn't get to do a full check.  You pull the draw out with cards and you are basically at the wall so maneuvering room  tight.  would be impossible to check the other side of the cage.

Due to the nature of the rooms disarray and lack of tech staff, we may have had combining issues, of faulty patchbay  and tape machine issues. 

HMMM.

Neve once sent me to Ireland because a newly installed mixer was not working on one channel. Swapping modules made no difference. TUrned out to be a solder splash across a TRS in the patch bay.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
If servicing these is going to become a habit you could usefully invest in an extender card.

Cheers

Ian

Not a habit by any means. Was handling a favor for someone... Yes if servicing these regularly extenders would be part of the kit for sure.

David Kulka said:
Shorted output cable? Fault on the strip board?

Hmmmm. I'll have to take a long next time I am around.  I figure even with a fault audio cable, I would at least have readings on the Vu meter bridge of the machine while doing a playback from an MRL....

Back