Source for individual rack unit sliders/brackets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmonkey

GDIY Supporter
Does anyone have a source for single aluminum or steel sliders/brackets for sliding individual units into a multi-unit shelf? I'm not talking about the side drawer-type sliders. Essentially these would be a flat plate with L-shaped channels on the bottom or something similar. I've searched the usual suspects (Bud, Middle Atlantic, eBay, etc) with no luck so far.

I have an old Ward Beck rack shelf I'd like to repurpose that has 10 channel slider flanges I'm looking to fit. Pictures below if it's not clear what I'm asking about. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think these are referred to generically as "double L" tracks/brackets. I see quite a few with the Ls facing the same direction, but not many that face each other.

BT

ECPDmo5h.jpg

pueydXBh.jpg

that looks like an aluminum extrusion, but sorry to say i don't know which type.
there are literally more than a dozen of them with different shape and profile.

might have a better luck designing that shape with Solidworks 3D and use a CNC to rout a solid aluminum bar.

If it looks like it could be a DIN rail I have  some around. I'm in Brooklyn. You could stop by and double check. It's not expensive. You can get it from Mouser or McMaster-Carr.

I can also cut it easily with a cutoff saw but a hack saw would work too.

Thanks all for the responses. The rails are 31.41mm wide (measured with a Starrett digital caliper), which is just 0.4mm or so smaller than 1 and 1/4 inch. Based on that it seems like they might be imperial rather than DIN/metric. I've got a thin sheet of 2mm thick PTFE (teflon) that I could probably cut into shim strips ( to be seated inside the L channels) that could maybe make a 35mm DIN rail fit.  Of course, I'd prefer to find something that fits as is and save the time, as my "project ADD" has created quite the queue. I could no doubt fabricate something but prefer not to for that reason.

And thanks, Paul, for offering up those rails to check! I can check the sources you listed for a size of DIN rail that might fit. 

Appreciate the help as always!

BT

One pass on each side of the rail  with an angle grinder would probably make it fit. I wouldn't be surprised if there was enough play that it just fit.

I just looked at McMaster-Carr.  There are three types of DIN rails. DIN 3 rail is 35mm. DIN 1 rail is 32mm. I bet you have a DIN1 rail.

Okay, have looked at DIN rails and they won't work in this situation, unless there are types out there I haven't run across. All the ones I've seen have the "L" flanges facing outward. When you look at the DIN rail from the front edge, it looks like this:  __|===|__.  I'd be happy to just use those and slide them into the spaces between the enclosure's rails rather than around each one, but I haven't seen any DIN rails narrow enough to go between these enclosure rails (if I were to remove every other enclosure rail, the space would then be too wide for DIN rails.)

The original unit's rails as shown in the picture up top have their "L's" facing each other like this:

|_===_|

I was looking for something like that, ready made. But it's starting to look like this was a non-standard, custom system and similar parts may not be readily available. I've searched "sub rack" and "sub enclosure" and found lots of different systems, but none like this.

Starting to look as though I'll need to fabricate something if I want to make use of the enclosure I have. 

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions.

BT

You are looking for the part on the module, not the rail in the case? If so that was probably custom done to fit on a DIN rail. What attaches to the rail is up to the manufacturer Its a standard mounting system.

You might be able to find aluminum U channel that would fit on the flanges of the rail.

Back